Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we heading for a fuel shortage?

Comments

It's ALL DEPENDANT on the Ukrainian situation..... normally I'm a glass half FULL kinda guy but it doesn't look bright up ahead.....i hope I'm wrong but you have to think there'll be shortages up the road. I filled up with diesel today ( obviously I had to ring the bank first for authorisation) & I asked the lady for a drum ( 10ltrs) of ADBLUE......she said they haven't got any & are waiting on delivery....maybe not connected at all but still a bad omen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Publishing articles in tabloids about fuel shortages and petrol pump queues is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Same thing happened last year in the UK when there were a shortage of truck drivers post Brexit which impacted fuel deliveries to forecourts, in turn it made people panic go out and queue for fuel which resulted in fuel disappearing from filling stations even quicker.

These type of articles just add fuel to the fire (no pun intended).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Considering how people panic buy bread at the first hint of a shortage I can only imagine how badly Irish people would react to a fuel shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Well, this might be seen as fear mongering, but Whitegate ran out of unleaded for a time this morning, but rectified the situation by the afternoon.

It's a sign of things to come, especially if the tankers aren't arriving by sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is what's in store when there is a fuel delivery:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Whatever about fuel, i’ll start panicking when there’s no bog roll left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Home oil suppliers have started limiting the amount you can order to 500 litres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Imagine we had potential as a country to supply our own oil and gas.

Wouldnt that be something ay!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Battery cars ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We'll never supply our own oil and our gas will only ever meet a small portion of energy demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least there's a natural limit in a sense on a rush on the pumps - you can't buy more than your fuel tank will hold, whereas with loo roll you could in theory buy as much as your house would hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well we definitely won’t know now thanks to the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,414 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the last 2 weeks I've bought 800L of kero, 300L of diesel and 50L of petrol.

I've also stockpiled solid fuel for the open fire, and I have 2½ full gas cylinders for camping stove/supersur.

I've also kept both cars brimmed.

Am I crazy . Probably, but I won't be caught without.

*In before the panic buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So I filled the disel car today

Bought 500ltr of oil this evening, have about 300 in the tank

About 80 bags of wood pellets

Shed of timber and coal for the big stove

Filled up the electric car today with solar PV

I should be ok for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have a vamat so don't need to worry about the bog roll 😁

NICE..... how much for the kerosene?????? Mine would last a lot longer if Mrs Mc Carthy didn't keep putting the heating on.......ive always said she'd be more suited for a warmer climate🤣

I bought a fill of oil in Jan for 830, 1000 ltrs....I thought that was expensive

I filled up last week 94c/l.

I bought at 4am.. by 9.30am it was €1/l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Filled up there in Ballina, Mayo and the lad on the till reckoned the cheaper stations in the locality ran out of diesel earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,414 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Picked up some unleaded tonight €1.89, I remember during the depths of Covid paying €1.12, I still have the receipt 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got 500L on Thursday for €550. I didn't want it delivered until Friday but my supplier said if I waited a day then it would be €670. He expects to run out of everything except green diesel today.

(He's also only been serving regular customers for the past week or so due to panic buying).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Eamon Ryan must have a horn on him that would beat a donkey out of a quarry. €2 a litre is a dream come true for those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Most defiantly going to be a fuel shortage. ESB will be turning away a shipment of coal from Russia next week at moneypoint, electricity security especially with these data centres drawing untold power may also see hits. Most scary thing of all is the food shortage that will 100% come. Farmers journal reporting between Ukraine and Russia alone 29% of global wheat exports, 26% of global barley exports, 20% global maize exports, 65% of global sunflower oil exports. RUSSIA also accounts for 25% of global fertiliser exports with another 25% coming out of Europe which is dependant on Russia gas to make it. Because of a fertiliser shortage and ridiculous cost (urea €340/ton last year €940/ton now), grassland agro fertiliser ceo said urea may be in the region of 1400-1500/ton come summer. No fertiliser reduced yields hence food shortages couple this with Russia and Ukraines exports being diminished this may be catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely hate these kind of threads and headlines - all they’re going to do is spread panic and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In that article the IRHA are quoted as being the source of concern, not a place I'd be going for my economic insights. The US and others will be releasing a lot of oil from reserves so our only concern is the absolutely inevitable price surge. OPEC+, Russia are aligned with them, are in no great rush to increase supplies. They have a small increase scheduled for this month.

Got to buy home heating oil and most companies are saying limited supply.

Threads like this will get seen by maybe 1-2% of the population, fuel companies putting on websites they have limited supply is the one to get concerned about

Even when I was filling yesterday, the garage had a queue by the time I was finished....putting in 100+ of diesel on those bloody pumps takes ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We essentially gave away the rights to the oil and gas off our coast for exploration, people complained about how little tax Shell paid on Corrib, yet there's only been 2 gas fields that ever produced commercially. We may have a lot of oil/gas off shore but it's never been recoverable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

What a bizarre thought. Criticising someone in political party that has been encouraging a reduction in the use of fossil fuels for our own short-term health and long-term environmental benefit! Perhaps if we had led dependency on fossil fuels, we wouldn’t be in the bind were are today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good news lads. I've just placed some buy orders on oil. That should herald a certain collapse in oil commodities.

“Encouraging” lol. He and his ilk have done fcuk all apart from load on even more taxes that just effect the worst off the most and make us all poorer. The so called Green Party are a disgrace. Sooner they are got rid of the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m sorry but I have to disagree here. Leaving sleepy Eamon alone for a minute, where is the infrastructure to accommodate the million EV’s the government want on the roads by 2030?

Maybe the forecourts are jumping on the gravy train to a degree but they have no control of the price of a barrel of Brent Crude. That price is rising rapidly and for me ANY move by the troika government here to reduce the pump price must happen. My local Centra has upped the price of 2 litres of milk from €1.49 to €2.00 a litre overnight. That’s a 33% increase. That’s only an example.

The same greens are party to BBC a government who stopped peat production and now we import the product from Germany.

Now that is bizarre.

Probably getting to a point where people need to reduce non essential journeys- I haven’t really seen it. Since lockdowns ended I’ve found traffic to be mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea, lets keep fcuking up the planet for your kids and grandkids!

Bullshite. You want to go back to the Stone Age off you go. If you think piling taxes on already overtaxed essential fuels is going to “save the planet” then you are even thicker than your posts suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lady on the radio the other day was saying she'd have to walk a half hour to work instead of her 10 minute car journey. Oh the humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

taxation will be only one policy thats required to move us away from fossil fuels, but its clearly obvious, it alone wont work, states need to step up and make sure alternatives are easily available to all, in order to do so, we have yet to achieve this, we may not even know how to do it, but we better find out quickly, or...... we dont need to go back the way, we cant, a fossil fuel free future is a must, but alternatives must be functional and affordable....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do you think our kids and grandkids are too thick to be able to deal with the planet they live on ?

This is what annoys the feck out of me about the climate debate.

This notion that the current generation know what's best for future generations, that the current climate is what climate should be, and the assumption that future generations will for some bizarre reason not be able to handle or adapt to the environment or climate they live in.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Advertisement

That’s what people need to do if it makes a difference. Also kids being dropped to school and everywhere is a huge thing. Lots of them could walk or get buses.

Traditionally when a petrol station orders fuel the price was set twice a week. I think Tuesday & Friday.

That has now stopped, and fuel is being priced daily.

Diesel is going up quicker than petrol because it's refined faster, petrol will take a few days to catch up on the increases, that's why we're seeing a parity on petrol/diesel price at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think his point has gone over your head! i.e. anyone who has a half hour walk to work should be walking all along and not just now because of a fuel difficulty,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Has she a gofundme on the go? I'd like to help if possible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Or massive amounts of wind we could use to produce green hydrogen that could be stored for when there’s no wind to be converted back to electricity and mixed with gas when needed.

It’d be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's putting the cart before the horse though. As you state yourself we have yet to achieve this carbon neutral from of energy production yet the taxes are being lumped on thick and heavy already. Penalising people for using something when there isn't a viable alternative is a crazy strategy.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Filled my ol gal up in Donerail this morning...... ONLY 2.5CENT difference between diesel & petrol..... the Sunday afternoon 'spin' to the seaside looks to be goner

Waves of hysteria and panic seem to be de rigour now unfortunately. Everyone remembers the nonsense with bog roll two years ago. But with fuel hitting €2.00 per litre it it’ll soften a lot of coughs- driving will become more limited to essential only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I honestly don't want to be fear mongering people but everything I said is a fact, People just have to think logically on what the result will be (in my opinion not good). I am mearly stating the facts reported so people that may not know about farming and how food produce is produced will be affected by a Maniac called Putin.

Home heating oil (kero) went from 94¢ to 150¢ in the space of 10days , that's a 60% increase.

If that 60% applies to petrol and diesel... Keep your eyes and wallet peeled for more increases at the pump.

Diesel will easily hit 2.25 and petrol 2.40

Add that to refineries and ports refusing russian ships and non russian ships with Russian fuel.

Vasoline will be getting expensive, and that's something we'll all be needing when topping up the car.

Crude is expected to hit$150 to $200 a barrell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement