Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental HEO

• 03-03-2022 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Has anyone got the link to this? It was advertised in my Dept but I can't see it on Publicjobs??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

The circular is up on gov.ie but I don't think PAS have formally announced the compeition yet

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gestappo

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I presume that 2 years service is still required, can't see any mention of it.

Question 13, why would they need to enquire about your age

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

To make sure you're not 104 years of age

-edit-

And there was mention of the 2 years service on the email attachment we received in work

Only just getting over the agony of missing out on an internal HEO comp, might as well heap more agony on myself.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

The more you do it, the better your chances. Check back to the last competition and see where you fell down. I failed the AO on two competencies in 2019 before acing the HEO two months later. Best of luck 👍

It's all experience, as i've been told!

Internal HEO closing date just gone so of course I'll have to apply for this too - like you glutton for punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Because of retirement ages I'd say.

Speaking of retirements they must clearly through the roof in Dublin if they're advertising HEO yet again.

Change thread title to :: Interdepartmental HEO 2022 ( Serving Civil Servants Only )

Just to make it stand out a bit more ? :)

• Advertisement

No idea if it's possible in new boards, but a forum mod should be able to do it. You used to be able to draw attention to the mods by reporting a post, but I reported the post 2 days ago and nobody changed it yet so I guess the reporting feature might not be working yet

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dubjane

Guys my question 1 is blank on the application form, can someone send whats supposed to be in it please

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Basically telling you, your responses may be used for short listing and to provide your best examples. Tick box under it guessing thats to confirm your in agreement and you’ve read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dubjane

Cheers, I wasn't sure if I had deleted it by mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WerdnaBe

Hi All, good luck from the outset. I notice that questions 3, 4, and 5 can easily be answered using the STAR method. However, question 2 seems as if that's not what they are looking for. I am planning to do as they ask and just give the brief summary while not necessarily using the STAR method for question 2. I wonder what way others have read into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Hello, I am giving a brief overview of the task, including the size and composition of the team. I am not necessarily using the STAR method for this competency. I have all of the 3 other competencies complete and am happy with them however finding question 2 hard to narrow down. I am hoping it's enough to be shortlisted for an interview. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sartre

Is shortlisting based on the application? I thought they did tests for interdepartmental heo competitions?

Also how are people defining a "project" for the purposes of the project management question? I have been part of several AP-led projects in which I played crucial roles but feel like I have never really managed a project myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

It states in the circular that shortlisting may be based on the application forms if:

Candidates should note that it is possible for the number of applications received to exceed the number required to fill existing and future vacancies. While you may meet the eligibility requirements of the competition, if the numbers applying for the positions are such that it would not be practical to interview everyone, the Public Appointments Service may decide that a number only will be called to interview. In this respect, the Public Appointments Service provides for the employment of a shortlisting process to select a group for interview who, based on an examination of the application forms, appear to be the most suitable for the position. This is not to suggest that other candidates are necessarily unsuitable, or incapable of undertaking the job, rather that there are some candidates who are, prima facie, better qualified and/or have more relevant experience.

My 'project' is more of a piece of work I carried out. You could emphasize the crucial leadership roles you took responsibility for in order for the project to be successful/unsuccessful whatever the outcome was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

I doubt it will be - for the 2020 inter-d we had to do the same questions, and then the next step was the tests which were proctored remotely. I failed the management test for those, so I'm not sure if they were used later on. For my internal HEO interview we had to fill out a similar form and they narrowed us down based on a video interview - doing it by application seems like too much work for them. The answers I gave on the internal form were the basis of my HEO interview, so definitely be mindful about that picking the examples. One of my examples was too technical I think so they failed me on that compentency.

I've done some stuff on the financial end in my department, so going with that for project managment. Only answer I'm keeping from my 2020 application since I know it works from my internal interview!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Not sure I like the new formatting for the application form. Gonna make it harder for anyone to read over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

How much employment history are people including? Previous applications asked for everything back to leaving school, including any gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Good updates.

For question 2, leadership examples. Does it mean 500 words for each leadership example, or 500 words for the whole competency ?

It says (all responses 500 words), so that's not clear when it comes to this particular competency imo

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Once you start typing you'll see the number of words left. As far as I can see, each box only takes 500 words total

When I start typing it shows how many characters are left and it shows the total number of words I have typed. But good to know that the boxes only let you fill in 500 words. 400 is the most I have in any box at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Does anyone know if you need to put EVERY employment from when you left school/college? I know some of the applications call for that, but I can't see where this specifies it. It's getting very tedious putting them all in! Public Jobs should really store this stuff in your account. I've been copying and pasting from other applications. Yawn! Ha ha ha.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 super1290

when starting to input employment history is it most recent first and add from there. or your earliest employment and add from there. it doesnt indicate which way to start inputting.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

was about to ask the same ^

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I just popped my most recent one in first. When finished, it asks if you want to put in more, and when you do, it adds them underneath, so it would make sense to put in your next most recent and so on. It's actually more intuitive than that old PDF form, so that's good. At the end, it gives you the option to jiggle them around if needs be, with Move Up and Move Down buttons as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mrtweed

Is everyone using the majority of the word count for the employment history?

Advertisement