Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022 question on religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Good point, I wonder what circumstances other than being a child you can fill out the census on someone else's behalf? e.g. hospitals or nursing homes where a person may not be able to fill in the forms. I know there is a separate prison census but my understanding was that it was at population rather than individual level.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The practical reality is that in households the census form is usually filled out by one person and we rely on that person to give accurate answers in relation to everyone in the house. It has been argued previously on this forum that this has in the past resulted in undercounting of no-religionists.

For institutions like hospitals, prisons, boarding schools, etc. there's a "communal form" which the institution manager fills out. It gives the name of everyone in the institution on census night, but no other data about them. The manager is also required to give each person an individual form which they should fill out with their personal data - this is the same data as would be asked about individuals in the household form. The manager should collect these and return them with the communal form.

(I don't know how they cope with, e.g. people who are in intensive care, or otherwise not in a position to fill out a form. Perhaps they ask relatives, or perhaps the hospital registrar completes the individual form as best they can from hospital records, or perhaps they just send back a blank form with a note as to the circumstances, and leave it up to the CSO to chase for data if they wish. The number of people in this situation is probably not statistically significant, and the validity of the census data is not materially impaired by knowing what religious identity, if any, they claim or how long their commute to work is.)

Interesting, I see that the communal form extends to things like B&Bs, Hotels, Campsites etc... I'd guess most prisoners would put their home address in the personal form. Agreed it has no relevance to religious identity, just idle curiosity on my part.

We had some good fun getting the family details for the 1901 and 1911 surveys. My grandfather and grand uncle were both, rather unusually for rural Ireland, listed as pilots in the 1911 survey which was a good trick for two gents who most likely had never seen an aeroplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

did they work on boats? Boats have pilots as well.

• Advertisement

Got it in one! Pilots for Sligo and Galway bays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Might be suspicious, might not.

It only became compulsory to register births in Ireland in 1864 so some people would genuinely not know how old they were.

If you look at enlistment forms it says "appears to look over 18" - boy could be a well build 13 year old and enlist.

Sometimes people gamed the system, but it was often the case that, in particular, the often illiterate poor were simply puggalised by the reams of paperwork while being very aware that a pension was the only thing standing between them and the Workhouse.

Tbh - as a society I think more than enough damage has been done by the fetish of secrecy and if all someone has to worry about is a stranger could find out the size of a farm holding 100 years ago they have little to be troubling them.

Income is not recorded on either the 1901 or 1911 Irish census. It is recorded on US Federal Census, at least the ones I have looked at of the 20s/30s/40s. I know what my grandmother's brother earned in 1939 as a ticket clerk in Grand Central Station. I don't think his grand children mind tbh. They certainly haven't said so.

Part of the campaign for women's suffrage was a refusal to be recorded in the 1911 census. As well as 'spoiling' the form, moving from place to place all night, hiding in sheds, large groups of women held all night parties in parks - Wimbledon and Hyde gatherings were particularly impressive - and therefore could not be recorded as there was no "usually lives at this address" section. The onerous fine was £5 or a month in gaol. This could not be enforced against those having a picnic in full public view in a park.

Census and electoral rolls are two completely different things. It does your argument no good to conflate the two. I would also have concerns about the availability of people's address'.

Census returns for Orphanages, workhouses, Magdalene Laundries, Industrial schools are often the only available records that people ever existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The information on the 1901 and 1911 census forms are very basic compared to the information being gathered by recent census forms and they also contain peoples addresses. It seems that people moved around a lot in urban areas at the time, but that may not be the case for farming communities so their addresses could still be the same after many years.

What some call secrecy others may consider confidential family information and they may not wish it to be shared, whether it is farm sizes, income, religion or anything else that is their own private data.

Like many others, I have looked at the online census and GRO records from time to time. However, that personal data was given in confidence to a government agency and for all we know, the people who provided it all those years ago might be horrified that it is now online for anyone to see, and it was put there by the very government agency who collected it "in confidence".

Also, some families might be upset or annoyed that it is online and they deserve to have their views considered as much as those who want a free for all on personal information.

I would say that most people are happy enough to provide the census data to the CSO for statistical purposes, but as it is personal data, citizens should have the option of having it published online or not, albeit at some future date. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Anybody who provided data for the 1901 and 1911 census is dead. I'm not sure of the procedures back then but where people told it was collected in confidence? The concept of personal data is much more recent than 1911. some families "might" be upset but it isn't their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

There is nothing recent about privacy and keeping personal information confidential. The only thing recent is the regulations compelling private companies to keep customer information safe and not disclose it to anyone unauthorised to have it. AFAIK, there was always an onus on public bodies to keep citizens information confidential - don't public servants have to sign up to that?

I know a very elderly lady (youngest of her family) and she was shocked that information about her parents, siblings and the family home is online. Anybody who knows her now would know what her and her kids/grandkids religion is, but she's not happy that her birth family religion is online because she says it's nobody else's business that she changed her religion when she married. TBH, I can see where she's coming from, it might not matter to me or to many others, but it does matter to some families.

Agree her parents might be dead and she is very old, but it is data that she, and her decendants, can be identified from. Does it not matter because she is old?

It doesn't matter because it isn't her data. It is her ancestors data.

It is an interesting point, if we're talking about data relating to personal privacy, it is hardly inheritable. The question then becomes whether any personal data which could be considered private should fall into the public domain at any point in the future as a matter of historical record? Perhaps this is a preference that should be stated on the census form as it is clearly a matter for the person more so than their next of kin.

Well, there is an interesting issue here. We recognise the notion of personal data which the individual has an interest in keeping private, and we recognise the concept of data which is, or should be, publicly available. But is there an intermediate concept of, e.g., "family data" where an interest in/right to privacy survives the death of the individual to whom the data refers, and can still be asserted by their family?

I'm not sure there is any such concept and we'd probably need to examine the reasons why it might be necessary. Rights to personal privacy are there to protect the person, extending those rights to others seems dubious unless there are very well defined reasons for doing so. More specifically, what protection would such a right bring that is not available elsewhere. Personally in my opinion, being a bit embarrassed that uncle Ted was a left footer doesn't warrant this. Again, just my opinion, but unless we're talking about a minor, I think this should come down to the expressed will of the individual rather than family should such rights become available.

As a rule of thumb the aphorism "you can't libel the dead" would appear to apply, at least in the regions where Common Law applied. The dead have no 'right' to privacy although the Law society made recommendations back in 2004:

"In terms of protecting the privacy of the deceased, the question should be asked whether it is intended to publish details of what a deceased person has done within what could be defined as their personal sphere? Is it really in the public interest to know? Even if we believe that rights expire on death, we should accept that the sensitivities of innocent related parties still exist, a concern this paper recognises in not naming suicide victims out of consideration for their families."

The example they give of protecting a person who committed suicide is interesting - firstly dead people do not appear on census returns nor is cause of death recorded so it has zero to do with the available of census records.

However, every death is recorded by the State and these records are available to the public. In some instances these are available on-line once a certain number of years have passed and the relevant authority have gotten around to scanning them.

It is also a matter of knowledge that given the stigma around suicide- and refusal to bury on consecrated ground - Irish coroners were reluctant to put it down as cause of death. It just so happens my Mother's 1st cousin committed suicide in the mid 1950s. We searched on-line and found his death certificate, and it has suicide listed as cause of death. She wasn't upset. She knew how he died. It actually gave her solace that the record gave the real cause of death even if she will never know why he made that choice.

Should all of these records now be withdrawn and added to the already large pile of redacted information sitting in Irish archives and govt departments? Birth records? Baptismal records? Sources such as Guy's Postal Directory (I found my paternal GGG-Grandfather's address in that)? Passenger manifest for the Titanic? Ordinance surveys?

In order to protect the sensitivities of some of the currently living do we cut off all access to information about the past? Do we deny people the right to know who they are and where they come from to afford privacy to the dead?

Ask those fighting to get information about their adoptions, and birth parents who has more rights to the information and how it feels to be denied your family history.

In terms of the information collected in the census is there anything that could be considered defamation?

The Census is a self declaration form filled out by the head of the household where specific questions are answered.

It would be hard to see how a defamation case could be made tbh - say HOH puts down "XXX is a Roman Catholic" where XXX is actually an atheist. The information is incorrect - XXX might be very angry if/ they find out - but is it defamation?

How does XXX know the incorrect answer was given? If they see the form prior to collection they can speak to the enumerator and request it be corrected. If they don't see the form prior to collection it will be 100 years before they can have a look.

They only arguments presented against releasing the census data seem to amount to it possibly causing embarrassment for living descendants. For me that is a very poor reason.

• Advertisement

It's an appalling reason.

Should records relating to the Holocaust be hidden as living descendants might get embarrassed?

The "you can't libel the dead" point is an interesting one.

There was a case back in the early twentieth century in which, after the death of British Prime Minister W E Gladstone, an author suggested that that his (well-known, during his life) involvement with attempts to support and reform "fallen women" had been a cover for consorting with prostitutes and, for good measure, that he kept a mistress in a house on Grosvenor Square, and that he had an illegitimate son. His family were hurt and appalled, but seemed to have limited legal recourse because the author couldn't be sued for libel, Gladstone being dead. So his sons went around publicly calling the author a liar, a fraud, etc, and succeeded in getting him expelled from his club, whereupon the author sued them for libel. In the ensuing court action he was unable to produce any evidence that Gladstone had consorted with prostitutes or kept a mistress; "Gladstone's illegitimate son" turned out to be Gladstone's entirely legitimate nephew. The author was torn to shred by the Gladstone sons' lawyers, and he lost the case.

The point is that there was a lot of public sympathy for the Gladstone sons at the time. The author was making fairly scurrilous - and, it turned out, baseless - allegations against a man who wasn't around to defend himself against them, and this was causing foreseeable pain and distress to his family. There was a sense that they should have some way of vindicating their father's reputation. But, if the author hadn't been stupid enough to sue them, they wouldn't have. And it does raise the question of whether my reputation isn't just mine, and if you injure it you don't harm just me.

Having said that, it's a big leap from there to arguing that I should be able to suppress census data that show that my grandmother was born out of wedlock, or my great-grandfather was a brothel-keeper, or whatever. Whatever the arguments about my interest in data that is reasonably current and is personal to someone very close to me, I don't think it can be extended to data that is more than a century old, relates to someone removed from me by a couple of generations, and is mostly innocuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

When given check-boxes, they all increased in 2002. Methodist doubled when given the check-box in 2002, then halved when it was taken away in 2011.

My father when filing out the form would enter Christian in the religion question because he was Christian first and Methodist second. That would not be an unusual mindset of Methodists.

Surely being a Methodist already implies being a Christian though? Not to fault your father, the census question should probably say Christian (other) following on from the listing of specific denominations.

I don't think that really addresses the issue. The practice in the census form is to offer seven check boxes - a "no religion" check box, check boxes labelled with the five most popular religious identities claimed in the last census, in order , and finally an "other - please fill in" check box. The issue is that Methodists are apparently much more likely to identify as such if that's one of the labelled check boxes; otherwise they (or many of them) tick the seventh box and fill in "Christian" (rather than "Methodist"). Grouping together those of the labelled check boxes that are Christian won't change the fact that there isn't a "Methodist" check box, and won't make the Methodists any more likely to fill in "Methodist" in the panel at box seven. (If anything, the reverse, I would have thought.)

It would also have the result that all the Christian denominations would be elevated above Islam, which is not a big thing, but if religious identities are being separately counted then there is some merit in ordering them denominations by size; that is neutral. Putting all the Christian denominations ahead of Islam and any other non-Christian denomination that might make the top 5 at some point might imply to the sensitive a hierarchy of Christianity over Islam, or something of the kind. That's the sort of thing you want to avoid.

That's the sort of thing you want to avoid.

that sounds an awful lot like pandering to me.

Pandering to whom, exactly?

And would grouping all the Christian denominations together, when there is no statistical reason to do this, also be pandering, in your view?

Just to stir the pot a bit. why should different Christian denominations be listed when other religions, e.g. Islam, are all lumped in together?

Why are there no separate boxes for Sunni and Shi'a?

Or Reform, Orthodox, and Conservative Jews?

Would it not be better if there was a general heading as a tickbox and then a space to right denomination?

"Christian

Insert details here: ------------"

There would be separate Sunni and/or Shi'a boxes if enough people wrote "Sunni" or "Shia" in the fill-in box to promote one or both of those identities to the top 5. Same goes for different varieties of Judaism. In fact most Muslims just identify as "Muslim" and most Jews as "Jewish".

Similarly, if enough Christians just wrote "Christian" in the box then to put that identity would in the top 5 then presumably there would be a "Christian" box next time round.

The point is not to tell people how they ought to identify or to impose some scheme or classification on them. The point is to find out how they do identify. It's not really a surprise in the Irish context that most Irish Christians identify by denomination, and most members of minority religions don't. I don't think the census should be trying to conceal this.

• Advertisement

Guessing any group that is of sufficiently significant size probably merits their own check box, though from the point of view of comparative analysis over time we don't want to be changing existing items too often either.

Advertisement