Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

@BlakeS94

Well done for sticking with it and getting it over the line. On to the next job now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

@BlakeS94 - That's all from me because this is starting to sound like an Oscars speech lol.

Congrats on sticking with it. Some jobs are just a pig. One of my worst was a control arm bush but it was seized and in an awkward place meaning the arm would not move to allow access. 4 hours of cutting, turning, more cutting, swearing and a hape of Tea. Think I even cried a little, but just a little. 😁

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Quick one from Saturday, have done one or 2 turbos in my time but this is the first time documenting what I do... Am I clear enough in the video?

Had to take the gearbox and sump off to get at the rear main crankshaft seal. They're notorious for giving up the ghost.

Treated myself to an uprated clutch kit while I was at it.

I'm planning on changing every seal and gasket that I can.

The timing belt side will be next on the hit list once this side is sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that exhaust manifold ceramic coated?

Great job above that is the worst thing on cars pushing 20 years old all the seals would be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looks aluminum which is odd enough.

Always forget B Series engines use a mechanical distributor. There must be upgrades for that now?

There is. My old Levin has a mechanical distributor too. But my old Mivec that was the same age and vintage as that b series and blacktop had a wasted spark setup so two plugs per one coil.

It is indeed ceramic coated, so is the downpipe. It's custom from there on back. I absolute didn't want an exhaust that would drone or be too loud. It's just right imho.

You're absolutely spot on about the seals too. They're all shot and I'm replacing as many as I can. The two crank seals are a massive job as you can see. The drive shaft seals are gone too, they're on route as we speak.

It's H22, not a b series. You can get conversion kits that allow you to use four coils but from what I've heard they're not really worth it unless you're going down the turbo road. And the H22 is an open deck block so nailing a turbo onto one isn't recommended.

I've some power mods lined up for it after I get all the maintenance stuff done first. I've a complete intake manifold and throttle body from an Accord type r and Hodata ecu to go with it. She should fairly fly after that.

• Advertisement

What suspension on the prelude

Sorry, forgot you have a Prelude! My thoughts were ease of control for tuning, much easier to change dwell and trigger time when it's ECU controlled.

What kind of gain do you see with the throttle body and ECU?

I've seen tales of folks putting Vitara TBs on swifts to gain a few measly ponies.

It left the factory with about 185bhp. I'll be hoping to get it up to about 210 with a bit of luck but we'll see.

It's all stock so far but mostly all replaced over the years. A set of coilovers and a full polybush kit are on the wishlist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Not as big job as Mr Toast above, in fact a tiny one :)

So, I put the key in my door and the lock cylinder/tumbler came out with the key! Had to remove the handle to re-insert a pin that had fallen down. The cylinder was in a bad way, 39 years of gunk had locked basically all bar 1 or 2 of the 10 wafers into the key in position.

Soaked it in penetrating fluid overnight and gently tapped the wafers out, very carefully noting the order by placing them into a tablet blister pack. The I knocked said blister back onto the ground!

Wafers should be popped out by a spring when no key inserted:

Partway through reassembly. The pin on the part on the right is what fell out.

Finished:

Locks are tricky af to mess with. I hate going near them. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Actually, I found it very therapeutic :) But pro tip - don't knock all your wafers and springs off the table. Impressive stuff with your jobs!

I'm at the Penelope Pitstop stage right now. Taking bits off is relatively easy. It's nailing them all back together that could be my undoing!

I've the sump, crankseal and flywheel put back on. I'm hoping to get the gearbox back in tomorrow if I can persuade my friend to help me lift it in.

Took the day off today and got stuck into this. It was tricky asf to do on my own using an engine hoist and a trolly jack but I just kept at it.

I've earned a few cold Guinness and I can't wait to crack one open.

I'm very tempted to take tomorrow off and get all the seals on the timing belt side done as well.

EDIT. Sorry about the sideways image again!

Living the dream ha ha

• Advertisement

Some day for it, you working outside?

No, I rent a spot in a unit. We've no ramp but having a dry place were you can come and go as you please is a little bit of heaven.

That is the dream, I would love a spot like that myself.

Is there space for a ramp? You can get a decent two post for less than 2k now.

We could get one in alright but the other two lads there don't seem to want to part with the dosh for one.

I'd give anything to have one. Crawling under a yoke wears very thin after a while but I'm just glad to have somewhere I can get stuck in tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

3 lads going in 700 each would get a very nice lift, I wouldn't be without one now. I wouldn't do any work on the ground these days. As soon as I put on in at home I'd get every friend looking to use it

Started on the timing side today. The crank pulley bolts on these are notorious for ceasing in place because the rotation of the crank tightens them. I bought a special locking tool and used a one inch drive to loosen it.

After that I took of the power steering pump and alternator and belts.

I'm stuck waiting for cam seals and a balance shaft seal so I didn't want to go any further until they arrive from Holland.

While I'm waiting on them im gonna strip and refurb all front suspension components.

I managed to get one photo the correct way around this time at least!!

I'm stuck waiting on seals so I decided to strip the suspension and brakes to to clean and refurb them.

I sprayed both front inner arches in bitumen coating after a good scrub too.

I'm waiting on some new bushes and upper ball joints to land and I'll press them into the upper control arm when they do.

Everything else got scrubbed and painted too, I'm really looking forward to putting them all back in place.

Should be interesting to see how it handles now with all the new bits and pieces.

You done a great job of them.

@Titzon Toast what seats in the prelude

• Advertisement

I bought a set of those about a year or two ago but I haven't nailed them in yet.

I'd prefer if they didn't say Type R on them but the stock seats are terrible.

Advertisement