Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exiting suckler cow farming.

• 28-02-2022 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice on getting out of suckler farming, we live on a typical small farm in the west of Ireland, suckler cows was always the way, in the last few years I started buying in small amounts of ewe lambs and selling as Hoggets, nice little turn in them for not alot of work but a few of them would lamb and I would sell the ewe and lambs at two weeks old, that was until the kids wouldn't let me sell them as they liked them 😂😂, so now I have 25 ewes lambing this year .... but back to the original question, what would be the most cost effective way to get out of the cows, sell in calf now or next Sept/Oct after weaning, sell with calves at foot in June or keep the weanlings not put cows in calf this year and sell dry next Feb. The plan is to keep a few more ewes and buy in heifer weanlings in Oct each year afterwards to run with the sheep. Sorry for the long winded post but with these six month winters suckler farming is just costing money and eating up any family time as I also work full-time. Thanks in advance Homer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Chinese proverb that says: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” I think you can apply the same logic to getting out of Suckler farming.

If you want to exit then do it now, there's no best time. You can sell the cows at all stages and get paid accordingly. A Cow in autumn after rearing a calf will not sell as well as an empty cow for grass in spring so it's swings and roundabouts with regard to most efficient exit. Unless you have something else to graze the grass for the summer then you might as well let them rear the calves and sell both cow and calf in autumn.

Myself I haven't decided what to do yet so will carry on for now, but if I decide to change systems then I'll not be trying to time the market. I'll make a clean sweep and hit the reset button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

I'd go along with Easten above, If you've made the decision to exit sell them now ( how close to calving? )

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Thinking of exiting myself. Do not sell with calf at foot as you will not get enough. I got 6 to 700 more for cows was selling with calf at foot by waiting 3 months and selling dry cows and calves as weanlings. I would sell all and make a fresh start. Weanlings to beef what I am thinking of going into .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What are the tax implications on exiting?

If for example cows and calfs are sold at the back end and you don't restock until the following spring are you not going to have to write a cheque for 50% tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Could you sell the calves at 4-8 weeks and summer graze the cows and have sold by August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Would you not have a problem with drying off the cows? Suckler Calves would sell very well alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Providing you have the stock in at the correct value in your accounts there shouldn't be any problem, Ive reduced my stock twice without any problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

am I right in saying if you have it cash in the bank at the end of year it’s not taken as profit, as cash in the bank and cattle on the farm are both just an asset. It if you had less cash the following year and still no stock then that would be seen as drawings and be taxed?

I don't think you're right, you're taxed on your profitL Less Cash in the bank or change in stock will be reflected in your accounts but neither means more profit.

Don’t know, have never done it. Would a few weeks inside on hay be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Stock are normally valued at about two thirds of their value. I think there could be some tax on the other one third. If you are buying in heifers there should be no problem. Like Wrangler I have reduced stock in the past without problem. It's a good few years ago so can't remember exactly how it was done

I wouldn't be good on accounts, but I knew that I had nothing to fear tax wise in destocking.

I used to always compare the bank accounts at the beginning and end of year to be aware of where I was going, it's always a good indicator when your stock numbers are stable.

As long as you had the stock valued correctly, if undervalued you may be hit for tax but remember Stock relief cannot be claimed in a year in which a farmer ceases to trade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Feed meal to the cows before weaning the calves early, they should fatten then in autumn and be gone before the winter. Winter is where the money goes with sucklers. I think there is a long withdrawal period with DC tubes, maybe 60 days? Dairy lads will know.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Picked up a few cows from a few clearance sales last few days, have to say 2 of the sales the cows were in poor order, big framey cows calving March for 1200 to 1480 euro all avg 680+ kgs, a bit of feeding and they'd have made a good bit more.

if it was me I'd follow Blue's advise above, get meal into them preweaning it'll do cow and calf good and you can choose to sell live as a good strong cull or kill them yourself

Well there you go, dry cow tubes are they way to go, only risk is decapitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Tie a leg back Is the only way to go when drying off a suckler.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I find a rope tied around the body just in front of the elder and tightened is more effective. They'll not do you any harm once it's in place and they don't fight it like having a leg tied back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have an electric winch here over the crush. €70 from Lidl 3 years ago. Great job for it.

That's a great idea Grueller, must keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

There doesn't seem a great trade for aged middle of the road incalf cows unless they are 800kg plus U type cows. Calving the cows and running them for the summer would seem like better idea than selling now as incalf.

6 calved and 13 more to calve, most of them calving in April.

Was thinking that better to sell cows dry any hold on to the weanlings.

This seems like the better option, it's as well to try maximise what can be got as its dry cows that seem to be mad trade at the moment, wheather that will carry through till the end of the year.

What weight gain would ye expect to put on 300/350kg lim/ch weanling heifers, bought in early Oct, housed on good silage and 1/1.5kg meal for the winter and grazed the following summer for resale in the Sept/Oct ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

250kg (300 kg would be good performance) On your other point if your cows are older (anything over 8 yo ) you're probably right not to sell in-calf as no-one seems to want older suckler cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i pick May 1st as my new start to the year, thats when i check in on what cash is in the bank. imlike to have a figure in my head beacause for me May 1st is the hardest financial time.

• Advertisement

Not sure which way to go with the cows, whether to get out completely or half the numbers, what type of stock did others get into after getting out of sucklers ? Do Iike the idea of dairy calf to beef as not really possible to sell in mart so would need to be carried on to slaughter, land around here wouldn't have the power for finishing cattle so a lot of meal would be required. I know people will say sell the lot and lease out the land but I couldn't look out the window and look at another man farming the land and also I find it great form of relaxing to walk the land and watch the progress of stock.

Would you think to go on a phase basis, finish all stock born on your farm and buy a few comrades while reducing your suckler cows year on year

That would seem to be a good way to get a handle on trying to finish stock while gradually getting out of the cows in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

As someone who knows nothing about suckler I wonder could you pull back your calving season to 6/8 weeks, cull whatever doesn’t go in calf, don’t replace what you lose and only use terminal bulls. It’d be a slow way of winding down but allows you change yoke mind. You’d have a consistent bunch of weanlings making life easier and you could finish your Cull cows at a time that suits you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not sure how good it bad your land is. I presume you sold your weanlings every autumn. If exiting I would get rid of the bull, calve your cows and sell your weanlings. Overwinter your cows and finish them summer 12 months.

Another option is wean any calves that will be three months by the end of May early June. Fatten these coeds by the end of September. However summer mastitis is a risk.

Selling cows incalf is not a great options older cows seldom dell well. Selling with calves at foot is usually bought by finishers who split the pairs and sell the calf

I be inclined to sell calves in the autumn and finally sh the cows summer '23

Slava Ukrainii

Looking at the increases in all the inputs over the last few months I've come to the conclusion that Sucker farming is now the biggest loss making activity you can engage in. It will eat into what ever sfp you have. The four big costs have just increased beyond anything remotely feasible.

Baled Silage is now going to cost north of €27/bale all in.

Weanling Ration head for €400/ton.

Fertilizer up 150% to between €700 and €1100 a ton

Slurry Costs doubled from €125/bay to €250/bay

It's time to shut down and just leave the place barely ticking over at the 0.15 units/hectare they can fend for themselves

• Advertisement

Is bull beef back? Could OP finish his bull calves out of the shed U16m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

If you make the decision to get out, take the cows and calves out and sell them all the one day. A lot of lads buy the unit as a dispersal sale as genuine stock. We sold most of our cows the one day three years ago, best decision to sell take the good with the bad and stops all the will I do this or will I do that. After we sold the cows a neighbour said we gave them away a couple of months later it was a great result as the way cows dropped back in value. Move on in life.

A lot will depend on your land. However if along the west coast on marginal land then ya you probably need minimum stocking units.

They always took U16 month bulls . However costs are horrendous and getting worse. With rations now at 330/ ton a bull eating 1.6T to finish is costing 520 euro on ration alone. Along the west coast straw costs 30+/ bale if ration goes to 400/ ton in the next 12 months he will cost 640/ ton.

Eastern point about suckler's is spot on. You are looking at your Suckler unit costs doubling even if beef prices double you are still at nothing

Slava Ukrainii

That is ok if you have really good quality cows. However more and more farmers arexiting sucklers. This reduces demand for the cows. Most lads buying cows now are lads finishing culls. They will split the units and resell the calves unless they intend to hold them onto finish as well. If his land is good enough finishing cows is a really goo option. All you need to do to commit to getting out is selling the bull

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

I sold the cows last October. Got rode sideways on the price, and sad to see good thrifty limo cross Shorthorn cows who had another 5 or 6 years of life and calf rearing go to finishers.

Worse still: the young ladeen (7) hasn't noticed that his favourite "Blackey Whitey" (Black whitehead) is gone.

I had a few Ped Dexters already and I bought a few more. They're nice animals around the place and should lose less or even cover themselves given even lower input costs and that's saying something because I had one of the lowest cost suckler outfits I knew of.

What finally turned me away from "normal" Sucklers was calving/sucking issues and not having slats -> too much hard work cleaning out, caused by a bad house/yard setup.

The Dexters are outside on silage bales at The moment and costing almost nothing in terms of time.

Its not for everyone but it's one idea. They are still a livestock unit, and they eat about half what a limo would.

Not sure where I'm going with the offspring yet, but they'll make a euro sometime and I won't hate them as much in the meanwhile.

I'm mainly sheep btw, on marginal land and just decided to go organic.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Are the dexters wild or what are they like to handle?

Know if you can get a polled Dexter BTW?

We had them back in the 70's. Like Kerry cattle very quite. They are treated now as suckler's hen back then they were dairy cattle. A pain to hand milk as they are very low.

Used to have trouble calving them as well, but that was because they were AI'ed with SH,FR or Hereford. See very little advantage with them compared to AA or HE if minimum stocking.

Slava Ukrainii

Yea be slow to switch from the angus myself. Have a lot of aax cows now though so thinking of a change from the angus bull this year.

I was posting in from the point of a minimal stocked system. What do you intend changing to. LM ate about the easiest calving and good calves to get up in an outside based system.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

What market would a dexter x AA be aimed at? I am not seeing many benefits as carcass weight would be tiny and no breed bonus that I am aware of.

LM calves be a bit wild though?

Want something polled and not much hassle. That doesn't cost me time. Very easy calving. Angus was ideal but I've a lot of aax cows. HE Bull may be the only other option.

Also in wind down mode. So a good terminal bull as I won't be keeping heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I use mostly LM AI bulls and wouldn't regard them as wild. Any Zag, EBY or LM2388 calves I have are all very quite. Plus any Zag calf I have had from a Polly cow also came Polly. I generally find if a cow is quite her calf will be quite, but if a cow is mad no matter what bred of calf she has it will be similar. Hence any cow that is awkward here gets the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

similar situation here, all aa cows and a top quality aa bull, was thinking lm bull this year but getting rid of the lot makes more sense

How would the LMX weanlings do if outwintering?

Usually out winter all weanlings born in Spring to sell the following spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Pure pets if handled regularly but can go wild if hunted out and left.

They are much more intelligent than continental cattle and will run from strangers unless accompanied by their owner.

Yes there's polled ones if you prefer.

There is a breed bonus but only for Ped Reg stock (which most are amyway) and it's fairly good.

Carcass weight would be 200kg for a 27 to 30 month bullock which is The right age to kill them.

Crosses wouldn't be worth doing.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
Advertisement