Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exiting suckler cow farming.

• 28-02-2022 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice on getting out of suckler farming, we live on a typical small farm in the west of Ireland, suckler cows was always the way, in the last few years I started buying in small amounts of ewe lambs and selling as Hoggets, nice little turn in them for not alot of work but a few of them would lamb and I would sell the ewe and lambs at two weeks old, that was until the kids wouldn't let me sell them as they liked them 😂😂, so now I have 25 ewes lambing this year .... but back to the original question, what would be the most cost effective way to get out of the cows, sell in calf now or next Sept/Oct after weaning, sell with calves at foot in June or keep the weanlings not put cows in calf this year and sell dry next Feb. The plan is to keep a few more ewes and buy in heifer weanlings in Oct each year afterwards to run with the sheep. Sorry for the long winded post but with these six month winters suckler farming is just costing money and eating up any family time as I also work full-time. Thanks in advance Homer.

Comments

Advertisement