Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Congrats on a great race report Alan! Sorry you didn't get the time you wanted but between your training, positive mindset and determination, we all know you'll be back to smash through all time barriers soon. It's all about the journey :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

As always a fantastic race report and huge kudos for finishing the marathon - that took massive mental strength so well done. As others have said someday soon it will all click and you will have a massive performance. Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

"My ONLY motivation for doing Seville is to keep motivated over the winter and get some good sessions in - whatever time I run on the day will reflect that "

Great race grit and great race report.

You're plan for the winter was obviously a blinding success and I agree 100% on the focus on motivation to drive everything else.

What will motivate you now?

I have one short term tip (caveat, I haven't done this myself although the guy who told me is a very experienced marathoner/half marathoner etc.)

You will be strong as the preverbial ox after recovering from this. As well as the big block in the bag you'll also have the marathon race itself. Due to the shoes you'll be recovered quicker and it wont lose as much fitness.

The tip I got was that a PB or good time in a race like a HM (or 10 miler) is on the cards 5 weeks after a marathon.

That might be good motivation for you for the next 4 weeks and it will mean you got a double use of that marathon block and will be in savage half shape with relatively little effort in 4 weeks. A good position to take into Spring/Summer.

Anyway, great run, great entertaining read and chat soon hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hey Alan, there was only one place that I was going to go first after ending my short Boards hiatus and you certainly haven't let me down. Another great effort from a young auld lad/auld young lad! I can only repeat what others have said, namely that it was a fantastic race report, a proper gritty race and a fantastic addition to your fitness bank. Congratulations 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks folks - I've had a lot of time to drink & eat digest the race - my learnings are not rocket science and unfortunately have cropped up previously as 'learnings' that went un-acted upon.

Here's my main takeaways - not in order of importance.

To Paraphrase a certain Cork runner - Here's "10 Things I think About Marathon Training"

(1) Longer steady efforts of MP or just slower would be better for me than doing MP intervals.

5,4,3,2,1 MP - is quite an easier session than 15m@MP+20secs - / e.g. a session of WU/7m@MP+30 rolling into 8@MP/ CD would be better than a lot of my 'key' sessions.

When I ran sub 3 at Dublin - I dont think I ran 1 effort at MP in a long run - a lot of longer Steady efforts.

(2) Over distance efforts are required

- I done 1 run of 2hr 50 - I need more an longer - even upto 25/26 miles.

(3) Do more S&C

I done NO S&C in the 16 week build up. I've NEVER done No S&C previously. - I need to keep the Pilates sessions going. I felt stronger with better form at Rotterdam - better able to handle the cramps.

(4) Race day Mentality.

After 30 mins on race day I was willing the end to come - I hadn't felt like that in any training session - I need to work on that (not quite sure how)

(5) Surface Matters

On Race day - I felt my Quads taking a hammering from the road surface quite early on - I hadn't really felt that running on tar paths, canal paths, cycle lanes etc. More efforts on Roads are needed to callous the legs e.g. When I didn't cramp in san seb - My 2 biggest runs were in Longwood 3/4 mara and DCM where I ran 22m of the race - both on Concrete Roads and both hilly steady efforts.

(6) Pacing Matters

I wanted to run the 1st 5k slower than the average - Failed.

I also ran 5 quick miles (from mile 13 to 17 - slowest was 6.22) - Bad discipline.

(7) Race day v Long Run Day.

On Long run days I don't feel bloated, get up 3 hours before the race, fill myself full or Maurten drink the night before and morning of, I dont take beetroot juice 5 days prior, I don't take Precision hydration salt drinks with Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium.

Either I repeat my race week protocol at least twice in advance or I take confidence to try my Long Run routine prior to race day.

(8) Do More Hills at pace.

I done very little hill work barring some slow recovery runs home. I know I should have done hill sprints to be able to recruit FT fibres, I know I should have done longer hills at pace to straighten the leg muscles.

(9) The running community are fantastic - both virtually and in real life.

(10) Follow a proper plan with appropriate periodisation - Dont pimp or makey up.

And most of all - wear sunscreen...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I wondered as well if the race you did was quite close to the marathon

I didn't race it, I ran it at MP. Part of a 20m session.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Fair enough.

I think everyone could follow the points you made there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've so many questions and comments but don't want to turn it into pages of analysis. Lol. Might message offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I agree with all but no 3 mainly because I don’t really do s&c either but cover that part by plenty of hilly runs.

no 4 I think I can help you there. Let me know if you are interested and we may be able to discuss on a run together.

other than that great analysis and summary of key learnings.

Post edited by babacool on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah here. Keep it in the log. Isn’t that the point? (Or do both). 😁

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha D, you read my mind🤣

OK fair enough...here goes....

Anyone following this log over the past few months would've seen an exceptionally solid block of training. Was that your feeling too or did you have lingering doubts about producing a pb? If so it didn't come across in your log updates. That being said I know the marathon is an unpredictable beast .

A lot of your learnings seem to suggest Daniels isn't necessarily right for you. Are you done with his marathon plans? I'm especially curious as to why you think longer steady runs are of more benefit than MP sessions. If I recall you had at least a 14 mile MP session.im struggling to see how a steady run at MP +30s is better than that.

Why do you think over distance is important? I found this one really interesting. I know a few serious marathon guys, none of whom touch anywhere near 26 miles in training.

I had no idea you were so disciplined pre big sessions. Is that always the case? Really made me rethink my own strategy which at best is average. Some of my big Monday sessions are often followed by a weekend of poor diet and too many drinks.

Do you think you need hill sprints in the marathon block or should that be part of the base building pre marathon?

Some of your learnings make me think coaching would be a better fit for you as none of the above are seen in most generic plans. Any plans to go back to coaching?

I know you've probably analysed this to death but what was different about your San Seb block of training where you ran 2.52 with no cramping issues? There must be something different between now vs then?

Last point and please don't take this the wrong way. I ask because I genuinely want to see you do well.

In your learnings you don't mention anything about your paces in training. I've often noticed you run threshold or MP sessions either faster than prescribed or on the aggressive end of the range. Do you think that played any part in the legs maybe not being 100% conditioned? Or are you happy enough you're executing the sessions as you would like?

I did warn ye! Take it as a compliment that I've thought this much about your success as a runner AMK. 🤣

Ha - this is more detailed than my wonderings (probably because Swashbuckler is in the middle of a marathon block and I am not) but it pre-empts pretty much all of my questions too. I especially would have asked the questions in the last paragraph - because they resonate with AMK's own thoughts from a few weeks before the race, a comment about marathon results being not as good as the training. Reading that I thought, if the result is disappointing (taking all factors into account, conditions on the day etc.), can the training really be thought of as 'better'?

I do believe habitually exceeding goal effort in training is a problem - how can you get the adaptations you require if the appropriate stimulus is routinely exceeded? Especially over a gruelling marathon block. Isn't this a far more likely contributor to the cramping issue than anything else? Cramping seems to be a huge problem with marathon runners whose training is suboptimal - if it was happening to me regularly, I'd be asking questions about the training first, nutrition second. (Still good to ask questions about both, of course.)

Also curious about over-distance runs. Seems to go against a good bit of the conventional wisdom these days - why?

All this with the caveat that of course the marathon is a strange beast. Different day, different conditions, different course, things might have been very different, and all the post-race thinking would be different too. But looking my at own history (with admittedly much more modest abilities and ambitions) I would generally attribute a poor result to an overambitious target, or else a training approach that undermined an otherwise appropriately ambitious target - and I’ve been there a few times myself. I can be a slow learner.

Ultimately, as most of us know from looking at people we know well, and whose training we can see every day, most of us, most of the time, get about the right result for what we put in.

Post edited by Murph_D on

On the “working with a coach” section, I would phrase it slightly different: instead of following a generic plan (one not designed for a specific runner/target race), would you take the time and sit down look at another runner who received coaching in the lead up to a race and write down every session, every run including notes on paces, elevation etc and then follow that?

with regards to longer runs, would you differ between: more time on feet during a long run that your actual race time on feet and distances covered? Personally I don’t think you need to run a marathon during training for a marathon but definitely should at least get close to the time on feet during the race. Though I can see the mental benefit of running longer during the training as long as it is slower too.

as mentioned I do believe your cramping have a lot to do with your nutrition on the day. Overkill at least from own experience. Though SB I don’t see anything wrong in your lead up to a session. More the opposite, if you manage your tough sessions on a “weak” body race day should feel like a walk in the park (as you know I remain to be a firm believer in running on empty even if the run is late in the day!!!).

Race pace vs Training pace, my question here would be what’s your thought process behind what route to take for a hard session? I have noticed that runners (I could myself doing that too a few times, won’t happen again) would pick a route with the mindset “here I will definitely be able to hit them paces. Not too much uphill, slightly downhill or flat and wind of almost no issue”. What’s your approach?

The race itself, how do you approach that mentally? Do you look at it like “I’m going to run a marathon today!” Or more like “right, I break it down into 7 different, small races!” (Which I do to keep me mentally sharp throughout!). I usually come up with a good number of small targets that I want to accomplish in such a race and by that the first 30k fly by like it was nothing. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭squinn2912

SB shout it out here I for one gain loads from the to and fro of all of you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Wups sorry I should have been more patient and read the comments on!

My little contribution is that it’s important to value the training that you’ve completed. Think about it as though it were someone else and what you would advise that person - I think you’d be like a lot of us and say Jaysus lad that was some training block. You might go as far as to say you did everything right, maybe you’d tell a fella to go and tweak some of the long runs or sessions. Sometimes we all dont have our day on the big day and it’s for reasons other than anything being ‘wrong’ in the build up preparations. You could have done that 10 different ways and in 3 of them cramped up, 3 of them been over or undercooked and 3 performed perfectly in accordance with your goals. That leave 1 for something mental to happen cos there’s always that possibility too.

Anyhow I think you’re brilliant for offering up all of your thoughts and baring your training like this when things didn’t go your way… exactly. You showed some amazing toughness when the going wasn’t good and the chips were down. Well done!

Was that your feeling too or did you have lingering doubts about producing a pb? If so it didn't come across in your log updates. That being said I know the marathon is an unpredictable beast .

Nope - I was very confident - even at 17-18 miles in - I was saying to myself, this will be my last Marathon - it'll be good to finish with a sub 2.50!

A lot of your learnings seem to suggest Daniels isn't necessarily right for you. Are you done with his marathon plans? I'm especially curious as to why you think longer steady runs are of more benefit than MP sessions. If I recall you had at least a 14 mile MP session.im struggling to see how a steady run at MP +30s is better than that.

I didn't follow Daniels :) - I followed a 2 Big Workout's a week strategy, the early part was Daniels, the later part was a mix n match.

I had a straight 13.2 mile at Marathon effort in Donedea - that was the longest straight run. I'm not for 1 minute suggesting that all my runs should be longer runs at a straight MP+30 but they certainly have their place (every 2-3 weeks) as a support to the shorter MP (or faster) runs.

My main point here is about my 'Big Sessions' - specifically the 5,4,3,2,1 - in a Marathon, you dont get a break (as you do in this session) - a better way of running this might be 1,2,3,4,5 - where the meat is at the latter end of the run, where you are tired.

Or I could have just followed Daniels to the letter.

Why do you think over distance is important? I found this one really interesting. I know a few serious marathon guys, none of whom touch anywhere near 26 miles in training.

Over Distance should probably be 'Over Time' - While I might run 26 miles in the run up to a future Marathon - I wont go 27 or 28 miles.

Theres a lot of people who do this - the NAZ Elite Plans have a 22/24/26 miler in them (they plan they sell to us mere mortals) - I do think it will help me with my cramping issue - If I hadn't a cramping issue - I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

I had no idea you were so disciplined pre big sessions. Is that always the case? Really made me rethink my own strategy which at best is average. Some of my big Monday sessions are often followed by a weekend of poor diet and too many drinks.

I'm not - I think you mis-read my point. I'm very disciplined in race week and not at all pre-session.

a Bagel and 2 salt tabs and off I go on most sessions.

Do you think you need hill sprints in the marathon block or should that be part of the base building pre marathon?

Hill sprints being 10x12 seconds - its more of a technical session and can be done after an easy run - shouldn't cause any fatigue but these help with the FT/Intermediate Fibres - I would do them in the Marathon block going fwd.

Some of your learnings make me think coaching would be a better fit for you as none of the above are seen in most generic plans. Any plans to go back to coaching?

Nope - I don't have the psychology for it. "Run x miles at Y pace" would strike the fear pf Jebus into me and lead to a week of anxiousness.

I know you've probably analysed this to death but what was different about your San Seb block of training where you ran 2.52 with no cramping issues? There must be something different between now vs then?

I ran 2.58 in San Seb (No Cramp) and I ran 2.52 in Rotterdam.

For Rotterdam - I was stronger and better able to manage the cramps - My pace didn't fall below 7 min/miles and I didn't stop.

The Training was very similar for Rotterdam (2 big workouts) but this block was certainly superior in terms of the runs I done and the paces I ran.

For Rotterdam I ran 26.3 miles (26.58 in Seville - despite following the line!!) The additional distance and the stop with 200m to go bugs me :)

2.58 in San Seb (No Cramping) was done with a Pimped P&D schedule - I also ran 22m of DCM and also the 3/4 Marathon - both at steady paces.

There was only really 1 workout midweek (Steve Way sessions) - with a long steady run at the weekend - with the exception of the 2 runs above and a HM in Athlone, all weekend runs were 7.30/7.40 pace which is MP+40 secs at best.

Additional MLR's midweek also helped.

Also in San Seb - I ran 26.2m

In your learnings you don't mention anything about your paces in training. I've often noticed you run threshold or MP sessions either faster than prescribed or on the aggressive end of the range. Do you think that played any part in the legs maybe not being 100% conditioned? Or are you happy enough you're executing the sessions as you would like?

Thats a fair take and something to take on board - as I was running MP Intervals, I was running them faster, often with a tail wind. I also wanted my training pace to be 6.20 and my race to be 6.25 as an insurance. I dont think 5 seconds is a big deal but I do know if I had of been running straight 15 milers at MP - it would have been closer to 6.30's.

For the Tempos - I think I was running them fine (yep - maybe 5 secs faster) - but I was managing the 6-7 miles at Tempo pace, so I reckon if I was managing it, then it was grand. But certainly something to watch going fwd.

The other thing was that for San Seb - I trained at slightly faster paces too - so I wanted to have that security.

What would have made the legs more conditioned to run the marathon was longer runs at MP or slightly slower - no breaks.

I did warn ye! Take it as a compliment that I've thought this much about your success as a runner AMK

I do love a good analysis - its been a while

I do believe habitually exceeding goal effort in training is a problem - how can you get the adaptations you require if the appropriate stimulus is routinely exceeded? Especially over a gruelling marathon block. Isn't this a far more likely contributor to the cramping issue than anything else? Cramping seems to be a huge problem with marathon runners whose training is suboptimal - if it was happening to me regularly, I'd be asking questions about the training first, nutrition second. (Still good to ask questions about both, of course.)

I am questioning my training. I don't think my training was 'sub optimal' - I think I chose the wrong strategy. Tergat/Tinman would have loved my training as it matches what he espouses. I need a new training strategy.

My MP training paces were 5 seconds off as I outlined above (Intervals) I dont think this is a more likely contribution to my cramping.

Also curious about over-distance runs. Seems to go against a good bit of the conventional wisdom these days - why?

Explained above to Paul - there are a lot of plans and coaches who would recommend 26m runs and a lot that dont.

Ultimately, as most of us know from looking at people we know well, and whose training we can see every day, most of us, most of the time, get about the right result for what we put in.

I'm not quite sure if that is a general point or not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi AMK, maybe I missed it above but I think there's one other big factor that is out of your control that needs mentioning.

Training at our lower temps 3°-10° and then racing between 10°-20° is a huge spanner in the works and I'd say the No1 reason for a slow down from mile 20.

It's great you've got a few tweaks you can make but I wouldn't overthink them too much. Your block was brilliant and maybe Manchester would have been a better fit.

Good read here from Alex Hutchinson, 7.5° being optimal for a marathon race, which was probably closer to our training temps.

Post edited by Wottle on

On the “working with a coach” section, I would phrase it slightly different: instead of following a generic plan (one not designed for a specific runner/target race), would you take the time and sit down look at another runner who received coaching in the lead up to a race and write down every session, every run including notes on paces, elevation etc and then follow that?

You wouldn't believe how much I do that - but its dangerous to do that as well.

with regards to longer runs, would you differ between: more time on feet during a long run that your actual race time on feet and distances covered? Personally I don’t think you need to run a marathon during training for a marathon but definitely should at least get close to the time on feet during the race. Though I can see the mental benefit of running longer during the training as long as it is slower too.

I ran 2hr 50mins once in the build up - I'd do that more often and perhaps go further.

as mentioned I do believe your cramping have a lot to do with your nutrition on the day. Overkill at least from own experience. Though SB I don’t see anything wrong in your lead up to a session. More the opposite, if you manage your tough sessions on a “weak” body race day should feel like a walk in the park (as you know I remain to be a firm believer in running on empty even if the run is late in the day!!!).

Maybe it was overkill but it needed to be done to rule out 'stuff' - would I run a Marathon using the same stragety I use on a session day. No - I wouldn't have the confidence - what If I got Cramp :)

Race pace vs Training pace, my question here would be what’s your thought process behind what route to take for a hard session? I have noticed that runners (I could myself doing that too a few times, won’t happen again) would pick a route with the mindset “here I will definitely be able to hit them paces. Not too much uphill, slightly downhill or flat and wind of almost no issue”. What’s your approach?

My Tempos were on a 2m loop - so no issues there.

My longer runs were typically done on the same route from Castleknock, down to the Canal, back into the park and home - again - I dont think this is an issue (maybe more on Roads v Tar)

The race itself, how do you approach that mentally? Do you look at it like “I’m going to run a marathon today!” Or more like “right, I break it down into 7 different, small races!” (Which I do to keep me mentally sharp throughout!). I usually come up with a good number of small targets that I want to accomplish in such a race and by that the first 30k fly by like it was nothing. 

I usually break it down into chunks - but didn't in Seville - no reason for it other than I didn't prepare for it like other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Always good to review what you do and try to adapt for next time but remember we can sometimes overcorrect to address the weaknesses and tend to ignore the things that worked for us so it is important to gain that perspective. You did a hell of a job aerobically and definitely a higher level of maturity to the log from past endeavors. There is an underlying confidence growing there to not have to prove you can hit paces but rather hit paces that are proven to get you the best bang for your buck.

With that being said just a few thoughts from my end, like everyone this is just a few considerations it's by no means prescriptive

1 - Steady vs MP.

I would be of the same opinion as you I think you have done enough cycles of marathon to have the aerobic fitness to hit your paces. The sustained nature of those steadier ones I think suit a runner like you a bit better where you currently are. JD can build endurance quite successfully but I think a seasoned marathon runner can get some bang for the buck with regards the grit/psychological effect of longer sustained efforts

2 - Overdistance

Not a fan myself of this however there are some who swear by it. IIRC healy1835's friend/coach had a tasty 30 miler in the build up to his PB (believe Sean H did similar) when he was at his best

3 - S & C

Yes - I think this was something we touched on previously but go all in here. Not sure if you are still getting work done by KON but if you are ask her to have a look for potential anterior pelvic tilt. This can have a huge impact on tight quad muscles exacerbated by the nature of marathon running. Squats, Foam rolling and mobility and yoga to have the area with more lengthened muscles as well as strong

4 - Plenty of hills

Before you get into another marathon block take to the Magazine Fort/ Munich's for sessions. You have perfect training environment to address these area's. Tempos, Reps etc forget about time and just work on fatigue and strength that would stand to you hugely going into another block

Cheers for that AMK.

Cheers A - and yes, that was meant to be a generalisation at the end. Not quite sure what you mean by the 'training strategy' point but I'm sure it will all become clear in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Fair play for opening up to the floor on this one - it really should be the whole point of a log, or at least a lot of the reason behind having one.

I couldn't agree more with the longer steady versus focusing so much on MP angle. Especially when you allow for how flexible you can make those runs, progression, alternating steady with MP etc....it allows for those huge aerobic gains but is that bit safer in terms of building up damage in the muscle fibres etc. I know I've bored the ears off you before about this but look up some Lydiard stuff for ideas on how to approach a block with that kind of strategy (Murph is a good reference point at the moment, he's putting it to good use)

L mentions it above but I'd maximise the use of those hills in the park, forgetting about hitting a pace and just making sure you're working at the right level, the more I read and the more I listen to respected coaches or successful athletes, the more I look towards Howth for the next phase of training for me.

I really think we have started to overcomplicate training with terminology and technology, especially us folks who are never going to make a dent at the pointy end of things. We don't HAVE to hit splits every single time, we don't HAVE to do anything more than look at how the fundamentals of most training plans originate from a very simple approach, run lots of miles, run easy miles very easy (which you do), run over lots of hills and develop aerobic strength by spending lots of time in that high end aerobic space but don't overcook it.

You're a student of the sport so I've no doubt you'll find an interesting way forward, one last thing I would urge you to consider is to cast a conservative eye over your next plan.....rather than having so many big, knock it out of the park sessions and risk having to change them on the day because you're just not recovered enough (or whatever), maybe consider deliberately being conservative with some of the sessions when you're putting the plan together and avoid having to change them on the day. I really think this will serve you best in the long run. You most likely just don't need so many big sessions, you've had a super consistent few years.

Great discussion going on here!

On the hills L. I just zoned in on the way you said "before your next marathon block". That implies plenty of tempos and intervals in a phase of training building up to a marathon specific block right? With the actual marathon specific "block" I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where hills fit in terms of the marathon specific/focussed sessions? Some discussions going on in other logs on this subject.

Thanks DD

I spent a lot of time with the Jerry Kiernan group in Seville and a lot of here Marathoners follow a very simple style approach to training - maybe even conservative (certainly in regards to my approach)

This will certainly be a feature in my next block as will the lumpy side of the park.

Looking forward to it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I work with a couple of folks from that group and I can recall seeing their marathon training for the first time while the rest of us slogged it out, I couldn't believe how conservative it was really. The proof of course, was in the results - which came in spades (one lad bypassed us all the year I ran Seville, having started at a very similar level, he finished the block with a 2.48 in Dublin)

• Advertisement

I find this one interesting (posted it on a different thread too) and looking back at my lead up to the last 3 big races it’s been a similar approach/mindset by the coaches (I think).

Apart from key workouts that were part of the long runs most of those been kept fairly short and always followed a workout day. Plus I personally think 2 20-22k runs a week each the day after a workout bring more to the plate than 1 22miler per week.

All in all though I think we over complicate and over analyse things. Let’s just go out there and enjoy running. 🙂

Advertisement