Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

4 days - No update and nearly at the bottom of page 1!!

Monday: as easy run around Blanch / Carpenterstown - I like this route - despite the cars etc - maybe 'cos its flat!

5.7m / 8.40 pace

Tuesday: Ran down to the P.Park - 10 strides (actually 11) and back. Nice.

8 miles.

Wednesday 26th: Session

The difficulty when you move off plan and run some other sessions not on your plan - is that its difficult to move back to the plan if the workouts seem 'easier' - mainly as you want to see progression.

What tends to happen is that you then 'cherry pick' sessions - so I wanted to avoid that.

Case in point;

JD's plan was for 6 mile easy / 5x1k/ 4m CD.

The Session I wanted to do was 30min MP/4x5mins/30 min MP - as this is one of my goto sessions.

The danger with the latter session - is that you dont recover in time for a decent session at the weekend - I found this out last week after a similar workout (25MP/5x4mins/25MP) BUT - the Daniels session seemed 'too easy' compared to last weeks session (........I know - I know dont @ me)

So, for a compromise I said I'd do - 2WU / 30min MP with a slight progression towards the end - 1m easy / 5x3 mins off 90secs / 4m CD

So - I'd keep the intention of JD's session - A long warm up & doing the 5x3mins on tired legs, with a decent length cool down. And still hopefully be ok for a big session at the weekend.

I wore the NB Fuel cells for this one - very comfortable shoe - but was worried about the 5x3 mins in them.

2m WU and started into the 30min tempo - the intention was to finish by the Ashtown Level Crossing and then head to the PP.

The 30mins went: 6.31/6.26/6.28/6.14/ 6.16 for the 0.9m - close to 5 miles. Felt great I must say.

6mins later, I'm standing at the junction of C'Field and North Road ready for the next bit. I wanted to do these at 5m pace (5.40-5.45) as this works both LT and V02 - recovery was 90 secs.

5x3min reps were: 5.40/5.37/ 5.33/ 5.49/ 5.43 - I done all these down the North Road as the breeze was strong the other way - so wind assisted. The Fuel Cells were fine actually. The 90 secs recovery was plenty. Probably could have done another rep or 2 - which is a good sign.

At this stage - I was considering adding on 5x200 to the session at mile pace (I skipped a similar JD workout last week) - but my headlamp battery died, so I took that as a sign and stuck to my original plan.

4.5m home with no headlamp up chesterfield is no joke - the number of walkers/runners even cyclists with no headlamp or reflective gear is amazing (in a bad way)

Total: 15.4 miles

Another good workout.

Did I mention I'm now doing DCM as opposed to Berlin (due to my own inadequacies in reading email - I didn't get Berlin)

Learning number 167 for DCM: Find a plan and stick to it - no pimping. (I think I have one - may move away from JD for DCM).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Positive with DCM I guess is at least you will be familiar with restrictions etc. Foreign marathons are usually bad enough for throwing people off their game without the current uncertainty around ever changing social restrictions which are different from country to country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

'Did I mention I'm now doing DCM as opposed to Berlin (due to my own inadequacies in reading email - I didn't get Berlin)'

Oh no....😣...but then again, it's not like you'll have any issue hitting the Fast Runner time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

At least you don’t have to deal with those Germans 😁.

What I was always hoping to give it a go at some point (after I’m done chasing times) is the kipchoge plan. Ever considered that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

• Advertisement

What catches my eye about this plan is the number of short Fartleks (1min on-off/ 2min on etc) / 800's that are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Would Eliud not put it in Excel for us all to make it more readable...

Guess what I did last summer 😂.

and the session that stands out to me is that 30*1min at 3:30 pace considering race pace was 2:45. Sure 2 sessions on the day (I think) but still. We try to hit 3:20 for those reps and can barely run a marathon at 3:45. 😁 it does sometimes show that during the marathon block it’s not about absolut pace but endurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

@AuldManKing simply cause you said not to, #sorrynotsorry 😀

I can't keep up, I thought you were doing San Seb or Seville or somesuch Spanish hot mara, what's this about Berlin/notBerlin/Dublin? A plan B or simply an autumn marathon?

Pimping plans is the bread and butter of this log, how else do you expect to keep us on our toes?!

• Advertisement

Yep doing Seville in Feb, but already thinking about Autumn!!

Thursday 27th: As per last week - went out with the intention of doing 10 miles - legs eased out after a bit, but still tired after it.

Cheeky date night of a Thursday afterwards! Dont tell my wife :)

10m@8.20

Friday: a very easy recovery - 3.3m at 9 min miles - loved it.

Saturday: WU/ Strides / CD - Legs & body very tired today - a lot going on at home with a very sick mother right now - so some added stress in the family.

Didn't really fuel as planned later in the day - planned to take a Maurten drink & bowl of porridge before bed - but it didn't go with the glass of wine I had. (seriously - I done a bad job of the prep for Sundays run)

5m total.

Sunday: Session - Planned 3x5miles off 1 mile - Actual: 5/4/3/1/1/1 mile at slightly faster than MP

I planned to be up early and out by 8am - trying to mimic the breakfast, gear, gels etc for Seville.

Ended up getting up later, noting as I woke how tired I was - this is a great start I thought.

Coffee and a bagel - 2 salt tabs were something I don't normally take - but did today.

Drove to the PP and parked on Furze - my planned route would allow me to come back to the car for a drink. I done a shorter WU of 1.5 miles and set off on the initial 5m lap.

The 1st 5m loop was a loop to the Zoo and back - a figure of 8 around the North road and C'Field. - My planned MP is 6.25'ish - these came in at 6.20 - so a bit fast.

I also noted that the breeze was stronger than I had envisaged and was quite gusty in places. I wont say that the 1st set of 5 were easy - as I was struggling from the 1st mile. Also noted that the Alphaflys almost felt 'Normal' - no super shoe feel to them today.

I took 1 gel towards the end of the 5miles while running at pace - no issues with the Maurten.

As I came back to CK Gate - it was obvious that I wouldn't hold 3x5m - so I was considering other alternatives - MP+20 maybe - then I just said I'd try 5/4/3/2/1 on a similar route to the one I done previously - so I could compare notes.

I ran 1m easy (7.40) upto CK Village and started the 4m section up around the Bell Pub, down to the canal and down towards Phipsborough (ave was about 6.25). took a 4min easy jog (7.50) and set off on the next 3m portion - I noted how strong the breeze was along North Circular Road and struggled here until I turned down Stoneybatter - when I turned onto the Quays it was a headwind and felt quite tough. 3m were (6.23/6.31/6.25) but I was struggling here with the breeze. I took another Gel on this leg - went down well.

I went into the PP at Park Gate Street to get some breeze respite and went down the hill at the monument and out the Gate by the Khyber - once I went onto Chapelizod road I knew I wouldn't hold pace for the full 2 miles - so called it just after the 1 mile mark. (6.17)

Took another min recovery and went again for what I thought would be my last mile rep - I also took a 'Hotshot' drink (anti cramp thingy) to see how it went down at pace - I managed to drink it - but had sticky hands afterwards - I might need to find a little pouch for this - this mile was tough in the breeze and tiredness was very apparent - bringing me to Chapelizod Village and the pedestrian gate into the park. (6.26) - I considered going to my car which was 1 mile away.

I turned around and said 1 more mile to make the 15 at MP - taking the 1 min recovery and setting off, the difference going with a tail wind was immense - I tried to push the pace to see if he legs cramped. Finished that mile with a 5.57 mile - very happy with that.

Checked the watch and seen 18.5m at 6.41 pace - Saved that as a strava super hero workout good memory & confidence builder to look back on.

The Cool Down was actually super - I had walked for 1-2 mins and got going again no bother - unlike previous times. I chose a hilly coll down again to see if I cramped - but didn't. Bodes well. the 2.5m were 7.40 pace with no slog or wall hit.

So 21 miles with 15 at MP - 2 gels, 1 Hotshot and no water.

The body & legs weren't too bad afterwards - I've been in worse states in recent weeks with cool downs, puking in the shower etc. All grand today.

Comparing this to the previous 5/4/3/2/1; No comparison - all reps much faster and I felt much better after it (I didn't split the 2m rep then - but that aside, this is a far better show and gives me confidence).

Monster workout again. You answered all the questions I had 😄. I assume the alphafly are the marathon shoe so?

Hope your mum will be OK.

Monster run that it seems like you chose sharp short pain over dull long pain!

best wishes to your mother I hope she improves very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great training as always! I hope your mam gets better soon

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Wishing your mum a speedy recovery too. Incredible session, eye watering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for the ma.

Thanks all for the concerns with my Mam - its not been smooth sailing since her issues a couple of years ago - but we're getting there - I've 3 sisters who do a lot of the heavy lifting - I do my part - but kudos to them.

@Swashbuckler Alphafly will be the shoe of choice - I'm doing a workout next weekend where I'll wear the Next% and make a final decision.

@squinn2912 yep - those miles - they had to happen at correct pace rather than doing the prescribed workout at the wrong pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Good session A and a very solid block of training you’re in great nick at the moment and looks like you have managed it well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I was going to quote some of your log entry but can't figure out how to use this new interface 😅

Not to pile on but that really is a solid session and shows the kind of shape you're in, the bit I was going to quote was how you felt better compared to a previous\similar session - not long to go now, pack in the Strava superhero memory\confidence building stuff and see what you can do on the day, you're in fantastic shape, fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

i'm getting tired just reading some of those sessions! Fair play A, you're flying! Fingers crossed for your mum - it's very tough on everyone (even if you say your sisters are doing the heavy lifting) when illness comes into the family so don't discount how emotionally draining that can be on the mind and body. Don't forget to look after yourself too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear of the family illness, hope all OK. In many ways being able to run is a good release when times like these. Can't keep up with your session thought processes though! Keep it going.

When I'm older :) My aim is to actually follow a plan from start to finish - and when that happens - I'll close my Boards account!!

Plans are guidelines - I'm a good self coach and I know when things need to be adjusted - the original plan of 3x5m was very ambitious - but I still got 15miles at MP thrown in.

In all honesty - the sessions I do are too big for the times I run - I know that, and have spoke to quite a few people about it.

I'd love to have the confidence to follow a plan that has more 'moderate sessions' - I was looking at my training for my Sub 3 in DCM with Luke as my coach. That's a really good case study in training smart and maybe something I can learn from.

I think following Seville - I'll still follow a JD type 5k-10k training plan upto the summer - then jump onto a non JD plan for DCM (until I get nervous and cram 3x20 mile sessions into the same week)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

"In all honesty - the sessions I do are too big for the times I run - I know that, and have spoke to quite a few people about it."

Guilty here too, a confidence thing maybe? I think that's the case with me anyway

Here is an interesting one.

he published his plans from 2011-2015 (just click on the years on the webpage). Perhaps something to adapt/adjust and not follow in the end? 😁

Great honesty out of you there AMK. Like DD said I don't think you're alone there. I'm guilty of the same myself. Anytime I'm given the reigns I always lean towards overly aggressive training. Haven't figured out whether it's lack of experience, ego, or something else.

Anyway, you're putting together a really solid block for Seville. Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Like yourself I can see myself going with Daniels for 10k after my marathon block but changing beyond that.

Yea I’ve got to climb down from a bit of a perch as well here. I’m a bad pacer. I pontificated away at you for ‘beating’ the session and in my two (massive data pool I know) since I’ve done that both times. It’s hard to run at effort but pull back on the effort at the same time. It’s not as though any of us are turning easy or moderate runs into full on race efforts or anything nuts like that.

Funny I’d say I usually race better than my training times would suggest. I sometimes pay slight attention to what other dudes are doing and I’m like Jesus I’m sh*te compared to him. Then we might both be in a race and it could be an either way type scenario. So there’s some tired morning contradiction… better do the roll call

Here we go again - less than 3 weeks to the big dance.

Monday 31st Jan: Got a text from a Seville bound training buddy - so headed out in the bright at 4pm for a run with her - covered 9 miles - mostly on grass - miles fly by with company!

9m/8.25

Finished Jan with 314 miles which is impressive until you consider that Jan also had 174 days in the month.

Tuesday: No running - working from the mothers today, a daughter with Covid and a dog who needed to be walked. Unplanned but probably needed.

1st rest day since Christmas.

Wednesday: Session - I pulled this one from the NAZ team - I think it gives a good workout 2.5 weeks out - longer reps and pushing it slightly.

WU/ 3m@MP-10 / 3x5min TH/ 3m@MP-15 / CD

Ran 2.5m to the PP and started into the 1st bit.

3 fairly consistent miles - finishing going up the North Road. (6.14/6.14/6.16) - The felt tougher. 5min recovery.

3x5mins at TH on my 2m loop. (Paces: 5.52 / 5.49 / 5.54) - 2 min recoveries.

The last 3m set was from CK Gate, North Road, C'Field, back to PP gate (6.14/6.02/6.15) - last mile felt tough.

So 1st set of 3m was 18.45 / 2nd set 18.32 (thanks to the 2nd mile).

A great little workout - the legs knew they had been in a session afterwards.

This is 'probably' the last longish midweek workout in this training block.

14.25 miles total.

You know you're a marathon guy when you call 14 miles "longish".

• Advertisement

That’s awesome running!

Advertisement