Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Catching up - 2 different work trips interfering with running, life and engagement here.

Monday 9th: 45 mins easy - legs were very tired.

5.4m/8.20 pace

Tuesday 10th: 20x200 (5.20) + 5x200 (5.00) all off 1 min.

This is a build on the 40x100 that I done recently - so I knew what to expect and prepared better for it and ran it on Chapelizod Road as I knew I'd be consistent.

It was quite breezy, so kept most of the reps with a tailwind and the recoveries into the wind - which was awful.

Kept the reps on target except a few I ran into the breeze. The recoveries were 7.30'ish - a few slower near the end.

The 5x200 - I blitzed them - strange that a session that starts with 8x200 at 5.00 m/m is tough - but I can do 5 at the end of a session with not much bother!

Flew to Amsterdam straight after this>

Wednesday 11th & Thursday 12th: No running - Work trip. Too much Beer. Missed Spurs hammering the Arsenil

Friday 13th: Session - 10x2mins / 10x30secs/4x10 secs - Another build on the 2min rep sessions.

I was quite surprised at how this went, it certainly felt 'easier' than previous similar sessions - the difficulty persists in trying to keep the recoveries honest - I faded in the last couple, but hit the paces in all the reps.

The 10x30 secs were fine and controlled - some walk breaks in there as fatigue took hold.

Finally the 4 short all out sprints - which I believe is fibre recruitment on tired legs.

Good session - 12 miles all in.

Sat 14th: Easy run - 45 mins / 5.3miles

Sunday 15th: Pyramid Session - 2/4/6/8/6/4/2 on/off (On's at 6 / off's at 7'ish)

As you can imagine, the body was tired from the travel, the session on Friday and then another session today.

Ran to the PP - The Irish Runner 5km was on, so there was a good vibe around - it did throw out my planned route for the session - but hey ho.

The session went OK - I did think it would be 'easier' - but the 6/8/6 portion of it really took it out of me - and the recovery is not really a recovery at the start - it kinda comes to you during the 'recovery rep' towards the end.

The On's were probably averaging 6.05's-6.10's with the 'Off's between 7 (and 7.30 after the 8min rep).

My route was fair - the North Road/Chesterfield loop.

Got it done, watched the football and then flew to Brussels for another set of meetings.

13.3m for the day.

Monday: No running.

Tuesday: 6.5miles in Belgium - planned shorter, bvut got lost and had to retrace my steps!!

Wednesday: An easy 3.2m in Belgium before my flight home.

Thursday 19th: Session: 8x2:30 / 8x30secs / 4x50m - another build on the 2min reps I've been doing. Again - the secret is to try to keep the 1min recoveries honest.

Paces for the 2:30's were in the range of 5.34-5.43 - so more or less on the money (5.40).

The body was a bit tired after my travels (& alcohol consumption) - so the recovery portions were slower than usual and got slower as the rep went on - but the effort was there!!

The 30 sec reps went fine as did the 50m sprints.

10.4 miles total.

Friday 20th: 45mins easy - 5.7miles.

Saturday 21st: 45mins at 7.20 + 5x200 @5.30's

Having done a few moderate runs at 6.50 pace and felt great - I didn't give this too much thought - 7.20 pace for 45 mins.........easy peasy......- but found it tougher than I thought - maybe still some lingering tiredness. HR was in the mid 150's from early on - (for 6.50 pace 1 week previous- I was high 140's and peaked at mid 150's)

the 200's were fine - finishing with 7.30 miles.

Sunday: 45 mins at 140 HR

Not a steady run, not an easy run - its whats called STeasy :)

Made a bit of a balls of this as rather than let the HR build gradually - I ran like a demon for the 1st mile and got the HR to 140 then kept it there - the impact was the pace fell off a cliff throughout. (1st mile 7.12 - last mile 7.59)

Monday 23rd: easy few miles and strides - wearing the new Reebok Floatride Energy 4 - €63 on sale now and a fine shoe. I'll defo pick up another pair.

4.2m

Tuesday 24th : Star of the Sea 5k: Report to follow

Tuesday 24th: SOTS 5k

I had planned to do a 5k the previous week at Bob Heffernan, but a work trip meant that would not happen - so I seen this on My Run Results and said I'd give it a bash as to dust off the racing cobwebs.

I really like midweek evening races - work acts as a distraction and coupled with the fact my wife is in the US for 2 weeks - there's more distractions to be had.

Nerves, fluttering stomach, doubts, demons - lets not do the race - make up an excuse - excitement - nerves - calmness - all the usual stuff on race day.

I love it.

I made it over to Stamullen by 7.15, changed to the Next% - got my number and set off on a warm up.

I left the grounds and was immediately struck by the hill up to the grounds - $hit - a tough finish to this route I thought. On my warm up - I also noted the name of the road in Stamullen - 'Cock Hill Road' - too much fun with that - a 'boner'fide steep hill :) - as I searched for the startline, I also noted an motorway overpass - Jebus H Christy - what have I signed up for. Why didn't I check the course profile (I may not have done it had I known).

Eventually we found the start line - no starting mat, just an arrow on the road. It was strange as apart from my namesake (from Balbriggan) - I knew no one else there.

Set off at 8.10pm.

There were a few ahead of me in the 1st few hundred meters - we passed over the overpass with not much fuss - a brief scare as I hadn't my new watch set up on the right settings so had to do it while running - professional prep right there.

The 1st 4 were out of sight early on (inc Peter Somba and local lad Eoin Callaghan) -leaving a group of 6-7 pf us.

The route was flat enough for a few mins but as we approached the village - it started to rise and with a headwind at this point it was a curse. The 'rise' didn't really end anytime soon as my effort levels were increasing - Mile 1 beeped at 5.40.

I noted that there were a few less in our group now - 2 others had gone ahead, leaving me, a SOTS guy and Ger C (from DBRC). The 2nd mile seemed like an endless climb and as we turned left into private grounds - I though the climb would end, not no. About the 1.5m mark, we had a decent downhill which relieved some pressure, but then that let to another steeper climb.

I was hearing the demons at this stage - my watch was telling me that sub 18 was doubtful if I kept this pace up.

Finally - the hills subsided (as my watched beeped for a 2nd mile of 5.51) - We had a good downhill for about 0.5m which we all seemed thankful for. We went through the village again and Ger C took over and went ahead - followed by the SOTS guy.

I was in a world of pain and couldn't go with them - I also knew from my warm up that there was a curse of a hill back to the finish line. I could also hear shouts for the 1st lady behind me, so that was my race - don't let her pass. As I went through the village someone shouted at me '3 secs' so I knew she was close.

The climb back to the finish line is atrocious (it probably isn't even that bad - but after more than 15mins at 5k pace - any drag/climb is Mount Everest - Its maybe about 600m but feels longer - not something to look forward to, but I remembered to pump the arms - I daren't look at the watch as I felt my pace was 6.45's or so (it wasn't). I could still hear the cheers for the 1st lady.

Mile 3 beeped as we crested the hill and turned for the finishing straight (5.47 - I'll take that) and I gave it socks for the last bit (5.05 pace) as I seen the clock thankfully still under 18 mins to finish in a heap on the ground.

Time: 17.55 / Place: 9th / 313 / Age Cat: 1st O45 (& a cash prize :) )

The general consensus was that the route is a very solid and difficult 5k route. Probably seemed worse for me as I didn't know it before hand - so was caught unawares.

The positives are that my pace didn't capitulate too much as the race went on, it was also good to learn how to hurt again, which was the intention of the race. Bonus was getting a prize - I really dont know how they make money out of that event as every masters category has 2 prize winners + the amount of food, drinks etc - a sight to behold.

Well done SOTS on a fantastic event - a proper hard 5k, not a PB route obviously - but if you want a hard 5k course with no pressure - this is it.

Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well done on a solid run. I saw the elevation profile on Strava and it looked nasty enough. Hills , in general, are manageable. Hills at 5k pace are a curse. Plenty more to come from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Runster

Ah thats a great result and a well deserved prize! Good to recognise the work that goes in when you're a masters athlete.

Every race should give a prize for that, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done A, nice bonus to get cash for your efforts, doesn't sound like an easy 5k route!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well done lad that’s great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one, A, and always good to walk away with some cash. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done last night Sir, looking fit and tanned as usual :)

Wed 25th: Easy recovery run - trying to get to 130 HR (wrongly - should have just ran 'easy' by feel)

4.3m / 7.45 pace

Thursday 26th: Post race session: 14x(500@6.30 / 1k@7.20)

With 2 races in 2 weeks, it was important to get a decent long run in midweek & this one was designed to provide volume and also some controlled pace work.

Just over 1m Warm up and set off - the 1st few reps of a downhill nature around the acres, then up the S Bends and past Garda HQ, onto the North Road and up Chesterfield and then finished up by Myos.

The 500's (@ MP) were done in an average of 6.22 with the 1k float being 7.06 ave (should have been 7.30) - a short 1.5m cool down home.

Very happy with that - I want to include more 'lumpy' routes in my training in the coming months as its looking like Dublin will be my Goal Marathon in October (was tempted by Valencia - but no.....)

total of 15.1 miles

Friday 27th: I had arranged to meet DD in the PP - I told him we'd meet on the Furze Road. He text me to say he was there - I text'd him back to say I was there.

Ran 3 times up & down the Furze - No DD. Checked phone - no message from him - something must have come up.

Continued my run, nice and easy and got back to the car and just about to drive off and theres DD.

Had a bit of a chat - amazing that we missed each other (he was going up & down the OS Road in case I went that way).

5.8m / 8.10 pace. (a lot of stops to play 'lets spot DD')

Saturday: 45mins at 7.20 pace + 5x200

Legs felt good on this - I have a set route that I'll use for these runs as I want to see how the HR reacts later in the year. Pace for the 45mins was in the 7.10's (HR in high 140's)

5x200's were fine - nice to refresh the legs after a steady portion.

Went for a 2 hour walk around Howth with the Madra as wifey is away and the 2 girls were both working. Lovely day for it.

Sunday:

Tired legs today from the wander around the Howth hills - an easy'ish 5.4miles at 7.40 pace - keeping the HR to 130's (not many easy plod's on this plan)

Just over 48 miles for the week - not bad for race week.

Noonan also told me I had crossed over the 1000m mark earlier in the week - he's a good stalker is Paul.

Monday 30th May: 4m easy and a few short strides.

Tuesday 31st May: BHAA Govt Services 5mile - Dunboyne.

Report to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd expect Stamullen to be a little hilly alright 😁. Great running.

The Trim AC photographer was out and uploaded over 100 pics on the club facebook page. You might have snuck into a snap or two there.

Thanks for that - I did see them as SOTS reposted them.

BHAA Government Services 5 mile - Dunboyne

Last weeks 'hilly' 5k was a bit of a let off for me - it was good to get the cobwebs dusted off, but it wasn't a real vindication of how my training was going, due to the route profile.

For the BHAA 5m, I did see it as a validation of my 'new' training approach and would indicate if I should keep it going or not.

It was pi$$ing down all day and but wasn't too windy - so I wasn't too worried. About 2-3 hours prior to the race - I start getting angsty - that nervous excitement that you feel as you visit the bathroom 4-5 times :)

I made my way to Dunboyne - leaving the house at 6.55 (for an 8pm race - this is pretty good) - parking was different this year due to the track being laid, so I parked about 1km away. 1st WU to get the number, back to the car, move the car to a nearer car park and then do another warm up.

Great to see a lot of familiar faces at this event - old club mates, old friends and my 'new' buddy from Seville who I ran with then, dined with and subsequently ended up beside on the plane home!

After virtually no delay we were set off at 8pm on the nose.

My legs felt fantastic in the opening as I had to hold back and slow down to a very comfortable 5.45 pace. I was worried that this would be too fast too early, but it felt so easy I went with it.

after a half mile or so, the groups start forming - people ahead in 1 group, we're in a biggish group and moving nicely.

Mile 1 beeps at 5.43 and I'm very comfortable. I've broken the course down into turns and I know the next tun is 0.5m away - this helps mentally.

Approaching the turn, my pace is 5.30 pace - slow down there - back to 5.45's or so and I'm in a good group still with 2 in front including my Seville buddy.

This next section is about 1.5m long to the next turn. The rain has held off and I'm feeling fantastic. The last time my legs felt this good in a race was about 5-6 yrs back at this very race. No wonder its my favourite race of the year.

Mile 2 beeps in 5.42 and theres not too much movement in the groups at this stage - we keep on moving.

We reach the turn and I'm still in good nick - Mile 3 beeps 5.44 and my watch face (which has Target 5km for some reason) shows that I'm passing 5km in 17.44. Nice (- I ran 17.55 in last weeks 5k)

Mile 3-4 is where the real action happens on this race - its always the slowest mile of the race for most people - as has been the case every year I've done this. So I'm prepared for the pace to slow and for it to feel tough. 3.5m into it and I'm only starting to feel the strain.

10 mins to go I tell myself. 8 mins to the track. I'm also thinking here what a perfect evening for running this is.

Despite the 'Hard' 4th mile - my watch beeps a 5.52 - I'm still with this group. A former clubmate just waltzes past at this stage along with 1 more guy who barges through us. We let them go.

At this stage with a mile to go - I'm doing the maths - I reckon a sub 29 is in the bag, which is a dream - I didn't think I'd have that today.

We start to hear a crowd and then see the familiar surroundings and buildings as we get near the track entrance.

Someone shouts at me that I'm in 28th place - Colm (Seville buddy) is just ahead with 2 others, he's on the track and puts in a surge - I go with him - both of our surges are short lived though - I think I'm at max despite being comfortable for 3.5miles.

We come around the bend and I find an extra gear - so does Colm & the others - I can see the clock ticking away and cant believe it - 28.38 / 39 / 40 / 41 / 41 and I finish in a sprint. Mile 5 was 5.41.

There's no chip timing, so we're to stay in a line in a corrall, when all we want to do is lie down and die for 5 mins!

What a fantastic race - official time was 28.43 and although I didn't realise it at the time - this is a 3 second 5m PB (previous was 28.46 from Raheny 2020).

There's a good spread afterwards and I see plenty of familiar faces to swap stories with. Some very strong performances tonight.

Always love this race.

Time: 28.43 - 3 sec PB

Position: 28

Category: 5th O45

So - a proper validation of my training. This is my 1st PB 'not from Marathon training' in quite a few years - it obviously works for me as I'm now 6 weeks into it. 4 of those weeks have had mileage in high 40's as opposed to the high 50's low 60's I done previously.

Spent time today looking at a race plan - my aim this summer is to PB at 10k - while I have an entry for Dunshaughlin - I think Clonee is a better shout for a PB run.

So I think it will be 10k at Clonee followed by a 5k in Leixlip and maybe a 10m in Edenderry??

Just under 10m for the day with WU/CD.

Post edited by AuldManKing on

Great run and like you said, proper vindication. You reckon reduced weekly volume has helped?

As for stalking, yep I have to admit it. I often take a scan around to see where some lads are at overall. You're on that list. Haha. Funny thing about Strava is I think if you keep any runs private then they don't count towards your weekly and yearly mileage publicly. So my mileage probably looks way off. A bit unfair given my stalking levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great run & report A, well done on the PB😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Brilliant running lad your short game is absolutely bang on. Congratulations on the PB. 10k is the summer plan, are you going to take on the marathon again this year?

I had thought about Valencia for a Marathon this year, as part of a plan that would also see me running Dublin at a slower pace but the more I think of it, I'm just going to go all in for Dublin.

My training for the coming weeks will certainly benefit a Marathon training block and will have me in a good place to begin the harder, longer workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Lovely stuff. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done, A - that really is a quality run and pretty early in your latest training cycle too.

Can't say I'm surprised that you're moving well off lower mileage, you're a marathon man, you've tonnes and tonnes of miles and aerobic power built up over the years, you probably just don't need more miles at the moment - the legs are spinning well now while fresher and I've no doubt there's a bit more there.

For what its worth, a clubmate of mine who could not hold 6 min miles during track sessions a couple of years back is now running low 16s for 5k and 1.16 for the half....all off 45 or so miles per week for the last 18 months. There's a time and a place for the higher mileage of course but its great to see you getting benefits of your training so soon.

Congrats on the PB, might see you in the park sometime 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thats a savage performance A, congrats on the PB. Not nice for me to read you talking about reduced weekly mileage just as I'm about to start my marathon training for DCM 😫

• Advertisement

Just to clarify - the reduced mileage is not a function of the plan (kinda) but moreso as a result of illness & then work travel!!

I think this week I hit 54 - none too shabby.

Wednesday 1st June: Gentle recovery run - 4m/8.20 pace.

Thursday: Session - 6x5 mins on/off - on:6:30 / off:7.30

Another post race session - an extension of last weeks session as well.

I chose a similar lumpy route - running from home to the park as a warm up - this time I done a lap of the park starting on the North Road - I think this is an easier route then going down the Upper Glen Road 1st. The 1st half takes care of itself - them I'm up Military Road, through the S-Bends and then onto the business end of things - going up the Upper Glen Road, up Chesterfield from the Furze, and finally up to Myo's, turn left and keep going to up the hill.

The On's averaged 6.26 and the Off's averaged 7. 10 - very happy with that - nice hilly route as well.

11.8 miles (7.02 ave)

Friday: 5 miles easy / 8.10 pace.

Saturday: A 22 yr old 2nd cousin of my wife was in Dublin for the weekend (from the US) - he runs in college as do his buddies - my wife, who is in the US now - met him last week and told him to look me up - he did, with his buddies!! Unluckly - a sub 4 min/miler who was in their company couldn't make it - but the others are very enthusiastic about running.

I picked them up and made my way trying to avoid the Bloom traffic - we set off on a mini tour of the PP - they were on a time limit to catch a flight to Scotland.

The Furry Glen, US Ambassadors residence, The Whole in the Wall, the Zoo, The Aras, the Polo Grounds - all good points of interest.

Nice respectful lads - a pleasure to run with.

6.3 miles.

Sunday: Plan here was to run 90 mins at 7.20 pace (7.20 pace is supposedly 80% of 6.30 pace) followed up with 6x30 secs surges - around 6.30 pace.

Chose another hilly route for this - ran from home to the PP - on pace right away (in the lashings of rain) - up the S Bends, Up the hill by Wellington Mnmt, down to Smithfield and then run mile 2-7 of the DCM route with an additional 1.5m home (inc the surges).

Really enjoyed this - listened to welsh runner, Dewi Griffiths on the Sunday Plodcast - always liked him - such a down to earth guy.

Good run - the pace was faster than prescribed. Kept an eye on the HR - low enough on the 1st half - peaked on the hill after Myo's.

13.33miles / 7.12 pace / 134 HR

54 miles for the week.

Monday: 45 mins easy'ish - trying to keep the HR above 120.

5.6 miles

Tuesday: Session 5x2mins / 5x1min / 5x30 secs.

2m WU - legs felt in great nick - done a few strides and 2-3mins tempo in WU.

5x2 mins - meant to be at 5.50 pace all off 1 min.

5x1 mins - 5.40 pace off 1 min / 5x30 secs - 5.30 pace off 30 secs.

I thought these would have been easier - earlier in the month I had gone upto 10x2 mins at 5.40 pace - so the step back in pace should have been more manageable. Found them tough, but I did keep the recoveries very honest and it was quite humid out.

2m home.

8.5m total

Wednesday: Easy 45mins - keeping the HR above 120's but under 130's

5.7m / 7.50 pace

Thursday: Session: 3/2/1 miles at progressive pace (6.30/6.10/5.50) - the sting was that there was 15mins before and after at 7.30 pace. (WU&CD optional).

It was a very warm afternoon and I hit the pace quite quickly so didn't need a WU - the initial 15mins was 7.13 & 7.11 pace.

I went straight into the 3mile segment and felt like I was jogging at 6.30 miles - had to hold back a lot - the HR was quite high despite the easy feel to it - maybe the heat & humidity getting to me. I used the OS/Furze and back down the North Road. (6.23/6.24/6.20)

I changed gear slightly for the 2m segment - immediately running into a breeze and then turning up C'Field into the breeze again - going down the OS it was bang into the headwind and I was really straining - when I turned onto the Furze - I had to take a 20 second reset as I was red lining - I probably should've ran to effort on that piece. (6.07 / 6.09)

Picked up the final mile along the Furze and up Chesterfield - again really straining here and finished with a 5.56 (aim was 5.50). Totally spent on that - its been a while since I felt like that on a training run.

I noted my HR towards the end of the last mile was 178 - my previously highest recorded HR was 176 - so was good to see that I was actually pushing hard.

I lay down for about 5mins - the sweat bucketing out of me before remembering that I was to run uphill home at 7.30 pace.

Managed the 2miles in 7.16/7.20 without straining at all - in fact I was holding back.

Left myself a good 5 mins from home to walk home and really cool down. Also brought the dog for a walk later on to make sure the legs weren't stiff.

I was very surprised to see 10 miles in 66mins on the watch.

If doing it again - I'd run the initial 3m segment slower - I ran out of gas by the end, so didn't pace it properly. I also wouldn't choose an uphill finish for the faster mile :).

10m/6.41 ave / 66mins.

Sometimes I question why I update this - but I guess its a good diary to keep if nothing else.

I do think more and more updates will come in once DCM training kicks off.

Friday 10th: I took delivery of a pair of Reebok's Floatride Energy X - a cushioned carbon plated shoe - A Bargain at €105.

I had been contemplating a rest day (not had one in 4 weeks) - but had to try out the new shoes!

Really liked the shoe, the pace was probably a bit quick but the HR was low 120's.

5.6m / 7.51 pace.

Saturday 11th: A moderate run with strides was on the cards - getting out of bed I felt zonked, so went out a bit later.

Knew I wouldn't hit 7.20's from the off - so done a 5min warm up and then onto the 45mins moderate - some miles far too quick - I'll never learn.

Finished off with 5x200 Strides at 6.30 pace and a short CD.

8.5 miles / 7.25 pace.

Sunday 12th: The morning after the night before - went out for a couple, stayed for a few...............home very late. This was going to be ugly.

Plan was 5mins at 6.30 / 80 mins at 7.20 / 5 mins at 6.50.

I done a 1.5m warm up (pace was quite hot actually!) and started on the 5min stint - found the pace quite easily.

My Route for the 80 mins was lap of OS/Furze - North Road - NCR - Phibsborough - Canal to 12th Lock and home via Laurel Lodge.

1st 6 mile of this was quite OK - the wind was on my back or side most of the way - but I knew when I turned into the Canal it would be a headwind.

HR moved from 135's to low 140's and it became harder to keep the pace - this is a drag up the canal path too - I had heartburn for the entire thing too which is quite uncomfortable, but a given for me after so many pints the previous night.

Finished off the 80 mins and started into the final 5min portion at 6.30 pace - felt a bit tougher than expected.

Finished off with a 5 min cooldown.

14.7 miles / 7.18 pace / 135 ave HR

We're reading, I promise! Feels like a desert island on Boards the past week or two but like you said - hopefully DCM will liven things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

It is very quiet but I'm sure people like myself are still reading and taking away some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Like Swashbuckler and Unknownability, I'll keep reading until some better logs appear 😋

That run after many pints is fierce impressive.....I'm really starting to appreciate the negative effect of late night pints recently!

Lets talk shoes - My Q to Swashbuckler is making me think about my own rotation;

Races:

Next % is my goto for anything upto 10m. I would love to try AF's in a shorter race to see what they are like.

Tempos:

Fuel Cell TC's were my 'goto' - but my recent pair aren't as good. I bought Reeboks Carbon shoe - the Floatride Energy X - I think this will become my goto Tempo shoe.

Still have the OG's 4% in the mix - 400 miles on them and still very usable - probably the best show ever made.

Marathon Pace Stuff:

As above - I'll move from Fuel Cell TC's to Reboks FEX - will also use old pair of Next %.

Speed work:

I was using the Endorphin Speeds if it was dry out - but will probably use Reeboks Floatride Energy 4 until something else comes around. I'll probably retire the Speeds - legs were a bit sore after their last outing.

I still have mileage left in the Endorphin Pro - might get these out during the dry days too.

Moderate/Steady:

My current plan has a lot of moderate work - I'll probably rotate the Fuelcells and the Rebook FE4's - maybe add in some shoes that are reaching their retirement date (Endorphin Pro as well)

Easy Days:

Really tired legs: Invincibles - 500 miles on my pair and still going strong.

Apart from that - I'll just grab whats around - maybe use up whatever mileage is left on my used FuelCell TC's (2 pairs on the go - 1 close to 500 miles / I close to 350 miles).

I also have a pair of Saucony Triumphs that I'm incorporating.

Unsure: I've a pair of Boston 10's that have about 60 miles on them - just not sure about them. Might try them for the moderate runs?

Wishlist: Asics Metaspeed Sky+ / Adios Pro 3

I think I need a new shoe for speedstuff - kinda like the Endorphin Speed - but with better grip. Maybe the Asics Magic Speed?

You read my mind as you went through that post. That's an impressive rotation.

The Asics magic speed seem good apart from a couple of people on here having issues with the heel counter. I'd find it hard to move away from the Endorphin Speeds for this kind of stuff to he honest. I wore them on a 5k/10k paced session yesterday and even with 400 miles on them I still love them. And I have a second pair about to come into rotation.

I have a second pair of TC to come into rotation now too. I'll use them for long runs and marathon paced stuff. After that I think I'm done with them. Same as you, these pairs just didn't feel the same as the first and the tearing away of the upper really irks me.

I find the Rebel v2 great for easy days. But easy day runners are easy to come by. My Endorphins will eventually become easy day shoes so I don't need to think about easy day shoe for a while.

For steady stuff I might consider the zoomfly and see how they go.

Beyond that I have a bunch of shoes I can't honestly see me ever wearing, which is a shame. And also stupid...but hey....marketing and all that.

Would love to try the metaspeed sky.

• Advertisement

Oh , and the alphafly gen 2 just got released.

Advertisement