Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 - Newcastlewest [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The Pink route would seem to make more sense if it joined the existing N21 where the Orange route does on the Limerick side of the town. On the Kerry side, for just 1km extra of road, it could remove the sweeping bend from the N21 (but also then needs a new link road for the town, like the western end of the Green route). As it is drawn, Pink looks merely alright but if the western tie-in was moved a bit further west and the eastern tie-in was moved a bit further east, it becomes much more attractive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Intern4l

I'm pretty sure that very wide indicative lines on the map don't necessarily mean a right angle junction. They can easily change the path of the current N21 to tie in seamlessly with the new road.

Your correct. The Corridor (line) represents a 400m span to which they can manoeuvre within that constraint and as a dual carriage way is only about 25m wide plenty of room to refine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont think its a great time to be doing a survey when people cant even leave their own county

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They haven't got much choice - delay everything for what could easily end up being nearly two years from start to finish (if you were due to do the survey March 2020); or apply some correction factors based on what reductions we know are happening nationwide on other counters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In some ways, it may make things clearer: if traffic levels are lower overall, people will take the more direct route to their destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Delighted to see something being done here. Travel from Kildare to Kerry regularly and anything that shortens the journey is welcome.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a relief road and a by pass? To me these options look like by passes. Does a relief road have junctions whereas by pass has flyovers?

What would the road around Enfield in Meath built in the 00s be considered?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

tubbs26 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a relief road and a by pass?

Honestly I don't think there is a difference.
    Relief road is a silly name that implies that building more roads "relieves" traffic in the urban centre. "Big Road Past a Town" would be a better name.

A bypass takes through-traffic out of a town or city. A relief road re-routes traffic within a town or city.

The confusion is that, in the past, we've built relief roads and pretended that they were bypasses (e.g., Dungarvan, Sligo)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

Preferred route to be published next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Preferred route published https://n21newcastlewest.ie/

Preferred route published @ https://www.n21newcastlewest.ie

North of the town with a junction on the R521 to Foynes. Planned to be off to ABP in 2023. There is a strong likelihood of this getting built given the pro-bypass plans of the Government

Post edited by marno21 on

Where did you get "next year" for submission to ABP? The scheme brochure says 2023 for Submission to An Bord Pleanála?

I corrected my initial post there my apologies, I hadn’t seen at the time either that you had posted before me.

Either way, good to see this moving forward. If it does get to ABP and beyond at that timescale the N21 will look very different by 2030.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes but will it still be dual carriageway or will it get downsized?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Type 2 Dual Carriagway at best Id imagine. Castleisland/tralee bypass spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For gods sake the Greenway runs alongside the N21 around Rathkeale and up the hill near Templeglantine next to the road itself so that sounds like fishing for problems, it won't destroy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Leader is a rag and these types of articles should be ignored. Theres no actual story here. People have put submissions into the public consultation on a 300m wide corridor. So what? That's what it's for and any issues will be dealt with when is comes to designing the actual route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

That so-called "newspaper" is a joke.

Reminds me of the Sandford Gazette in "Hot Fuzz"....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

would have thought myself that if eventually there will be a dual carriageway from limerick city to the kerry/limerick border at fealesbridge.. that having the bypass south of newcastle west would have made more sense as if tempeglantine were to be bypassed it would prob have to be south of the village... and the chosen route for abbeyfeale is south of the town

Great story, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It was so obvious that it shouldn't have been needed to be said. Some people just love to stir up a bit of fear for no other reason than it gives them an opportunity to stand in front of a few people talking shite. Its pathetic really.

Post edited by Pete_Cavan on

Frankly, RTE stopped being a respectable and trusted organ of the press quite some time ago.

They are still an organ of sorts, but I'm not going to specify which one, on this family-friendly site..

Tender out for topographical surveys along the route.

I posted a composite of this scheme and the Abbeyfeale scheme preferred routes on the Abbeyfeale thread, here: N21 - Abbeyfeale [route options published] — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Greenway groups are most unhappy about the northern route chosen for the bypass, so expect this to be fought. TBH I'm not sure why they went north and not south.

Advertisement