Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omanomad

Padraig Harrington was on the late late show saying he was thought 18 holes was too many for a round, but given the interviewer we never got to find out what his proposal was.

I remember about 6 years ago there was a lot of buzz and press about a new golf series that would be something like 6 holes and it was being backed by a load of famous people, wonder what ever happened to that?

I’d be in favour of much less than 18, maybe about 12 holes being the norm. 18 is just too much of a slog, too much of a good thing and all that. It would help keep maintenance costs of courses down, and given the massive shortage of golf courses worldwide would mean new courses would be more likely to open up when they don’t need as much space and as much money to set up. Would also make viewing professional tournaments better imho. But I agree the current generation of golfers aged 50+ would never vote for any change like this, so we are probably a good 15 years away from any change like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Our winter league runs two "nines" of 7 holes each so 14 holes overall.

3 hours done and dusted. It's perfect.

Would happily play 14 holes all summer if it was an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have played in a couple of these, mainly played in it as there were courses I had never played. Never got a goodie bag as such was during covid. Got a burger after 9 holes. Always did wonder about the winners of the closest to the pin winners with such good prizes. Alot of them were often within a ft from over 170yds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Double post

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭boccy23

Interesting on how many young Irish pros are trying to make it, or even the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sure the idea of Golf Sixes is supposed to be something different in fairness. European Tour very clearly stole the idea from John McHenry (interesting articles on it) - He was initially backed by Dermot Desmond etc. Was trialled under McHenry's idea in place of a Pro-Am etc. Now it just has become a tournament.

We will 100% be seeing more tournaments like it in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

Great article. Very noticeable how they all think they are just on the verge of a big breakthrough. I suppose they have no choice but to think that way really!

Yeah, the positive vibes is what struck me as well. But recent history, tells us many more of them will fail than succeed to the next level.

It's noticeable how other countries are bringing their talent through in a much better way, such as South Africa. I wonder what the GUI are doing in training, development etc. We seem to be behind in our current development of young professionals.

• Advertisement

Yeah agree, there literally isn't one Irish guy in his 20s that you'd have any confidence in predicting will be able to get even a European Tour Card and maintain it for 4 or 5 seasons. Never mind anyone that could reach the level of some of the players we've produced over the last 25 years.

Golf Ireland have nothing to do with these professionals. They're only responsible for the amateur game.

Once they go professional, but they are responsible for the development of them as amateurs to be able to progress into the professional game. This is where I think that other Unions are doing a better job bringing more talent into the pipeline. More talent will eventually mean more and better professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

John Murphy ? Has had a very good college career. Made the final group of Dunhill.. had other decent performances, he's only 23 so got a bit of time compared to most of the lads in that article

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Tom McKibbin too, had a good finish in the challenge tour last weekend - was leading after 3rd Rd. Think best hope for good amateurs here is to go through the american collegiate system on a scholarship but very hard to get the funding once they graduate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Folks, I put in an application to join my local club about two weeks ago along with proposer and seconder letters, they said they would process it and get back to me for payment and with GUI number etc. I rang them again today to see what the story was and they said they had to wait until the monthly meeting which won't be until next week or the week after to propose and get the application approved. Is this normal procedure in clubs to take this long to get applications processed? I have my sub fee ready to pay and I'm looking out the window at a gorgeous evening here and raring to play some golf but a bit annoyed to have to wait probably 3 or 4 weeks since applying before I can get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Generally yes. My own club allowed me to play once I applied but I still had to wait for the all clear. In my club its really a formality but I know bigger course's take it more seriously.

No harm asking if you can play a few rounds and see what they say.

Cheers dan_ep82, I'll give them a call in the morning and see can I get a few holes in over the weekend when the timesheet is quiet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Club Constitution was probably wrote back in the day when golf was more aloof than it is now.

I went to join my current club when I started golfing back in the 90's, all they wanted to know was where I worked, my address and where my Dad worked. I simply joined elsewhere.

I joined again recently and it was a simple form and acted on straight away...clubs need to modernise their admission process, even having to fill out a piece of paper in times of online forms and digital signatures is so inefficient and needless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Poor old Dylan

hits this amazing shot and makes a par, but then gets awarded a penalty for his stance hitting the ball out of the tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Always wondered if you could just hit it from a bush or a tree. What's the problem here, standing astride the ball, they banned that for putting purposes didn't they?

More than a bit cruel to apply it in these circumstances!

• Advertisement

I was playing at the weekend and my playing partner asked if my green marker was a coin. Any reason he asked this?

Thought it was a strange one alright.

Yeah, you can't stand astride of your line when making your swing. Fairly harsh given the circumstances

Maybe he was just a bit greedy and fancied robbing it 🤔

Anyone able to tell me what a 'long handicap' is? I've just come back to golf after 10 years off and some of these terms are new to me, WHS has been a blast to learn 🤣

The new club I just joined has a 'long handicap competition' once a week, just wondering what it is, is a long handicap just a particularly high handicap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was it a poker chip? Not sure how anyone could think something green was a coin but... if it was a poker chip, it may have been a passive aggressive dig at using such a big marker... Some people aren't fans of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Infairness they must be a pain to use, would always have to move them because if you hit them you're screwed haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Poker chips are annoying. When you get someone to move a marker a clubhead there can still be a decent chance depending on the putt that you'll hit it. And it'll totally change the path of the ball.

I wouldn't lose sleep over someone using one, but I can't really understand why someone would. If it was me I'd feel bad if someone hit it.

• Advertisement

Must say they do annoy me and not much annoys me on the golf course. If I think my ball will come within 6 inches of one of those things I'll get them to move it.

So as said above it must be annoying for anyone using one to be constantly moving it.

What's most annoying with them is if you have a 20 footer and there's one 3 feet before the hole. To actually get it out of the way of where you think the ball might go you'd want to ask them to move it a club length. But if you think they're right on your line and you get them to move it even 3 club heads one way, there's every chance you'll misread / mishit it enough to hit their chip. And then leave you with a 3 footer for your second instead of it rolling a bit closer to the hole.

That said, this has happened to me at most a couple of times.

Something I was thinking of the other day was the relationship between playing well and scoring well.

What do you think of the relationship between the two? I usually dismiss people saying they're playing well but not scoring. Golf is the game where you really do have an actual measure of how well you're playing - your scores and your handicap. But at the same time, there's truth to it when someone says they're playing well but just not scoring and I certainly go by it myself.

I constantly come in with terrible scores but think back through the round and reconcile it with myself that I wasn't too far off having a decent score. When you take out the 5 3 putts, duffed chips, lost ball that I thought was on the fairway.... suddenly my 27 point round was more like a 37 point round which I'd have shot had I been concentrating which I would have had I been playing a bit better / more often.

But while I scoff at myself, I do believe there's truth to it. If I've no score, I'm far more likely to three putt or duff a chip. As hard as I try, I just can't get the same level of focus. And there are periods where you're really nailing the irons - long, straight, the desired flight. But just misjudging them or the wind and not capitalising on your good strikes. As opposed to the times where you're not making good contact with anything. But your misses are all short and not leaving you in trouble, so you're still putting bogies on the card and getting up and down for a few pars.

What do ye reckon? If you're playing better than you're scoring over a decent period of time, are you in fact just not playing well?

No, I was marking with a US quarter that I mostly use.

I thought it may have been getting at the club ball markers with the dimple on the underneath which marks the green. But I have never had anyone comment on them before either. It definitely wan't a poker chip. I hate them myself, although it would be rare that I would ask for it to be moved.

Ah, I misread your post. I thought your green marker was green... Could be just a case of him trying to strike up a conversation / being genuinely inquisitive about the coin seeing that it wasn't a euro coin.

I came across a bag of old punt coins that I use as markers occasionally and get the odd comment out of curiousity.

Thoughts on 'non refundable' green fees?

Good golf course - 25% of Green Fee deposit paid well in advance and rest of green fee taken ahead of round this weekend (fair enough)

1 of the 2 players now has a positive covid result. Course are sticking to their TCs and Cs of non-refundable. Round was not an offer etc and was full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

It depends on what's causing the bad scoring, and how typical that is for your game. Usually it's when people are hitting it well tee to green but their short game is letting them down that they say they're playing well but not scoring - that's me generally. I've played three rounds this season and I've been hitting it really well tee to green because I spent the winter at the range, but my chipping and putting has been very poor as they have had no practice. Particularly my putting. Putting has always been the strongest part of my game so I feel I am playing well but not scoring well, and it's just a case of getting the feel back on the greens. Usually I "make up" shots around the green, not lose them.

Spoke to the club (Doonbeg)

Frustratingly they won’t refund the deposits. I think it’s quite unfair but they’re sticking to their TCs and Cs.

She mentioned no other tee times available since it’s such short notice but I can blatantly see there’s a heap of space around the tee time (4pm on Saturday) so it’s not like I’m screwing over potential punters who wanted that slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Must say they do annoy me and not much annoys me on the golf course. If I think my ball will come within 6 inches of one of those things I'll get them to move it.

Asked a playing partner to move their poker chip marker two clubhead lengths for me on a par three recently as I felt there was a good chance of it interfering with the line of my birdie putt. He did as I asked without any fuss and moved it well out of the way. I then proceeded to hit an absolutely brutal putt which was offline from the moment I struck it. It was quite a lengthy putt and I was cursing it as it made its way down the green. As it neared the vicinity of the hole however it hit the edge of the poker chip which dramatically changed its direction and diverted into the centre of the hole! Was worth €29 to me as I'd entered for the twos when I signed in. So From that day especially, I have no problem with the poker chip marker!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faffingaround

Joined a club this year and have struggled to get out as I am busy and so is the time sheet!

Wanted to play on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago and they had some kind of competition on. 2 ball better ball or something. I didn’t want to play and neither did any of the other lads(I know two of them, the other not at all).

Competition secretary has sent me a friendly email asking why I didn’t take part?

If I put my name down do I have to take part?

Should I expect a warning or anything?!

In regards to putting your name down on a day there's competitions on, it's whatever your club policy says is what you should do by right.

My club is on competition days if you're teeing it up I think between 8am-12:30pm or something then you must play the comp. Depends on how busy the course was/time of day too imo. If you took up a prime slot like 11am where everyone around you was playing the comp but ye weren't; you've potentially blocked out a paying competition member. However, if there's no club policy in place surrounding that situation then it's fair game.

If hardly anyone played that comp over that weekend and they're simply just asking you why didn't you bother playing, at least you can say you've no interest in those types of comps and they may adjust future competitions in-turn if there's no interest for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You put you name down and didn't show up? If that's the case then yes that is bad form, especially if the club has a busy time sheet as it most likely means someone else has missed out because you have blocked the spot on the time sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faffingaround

No all four of us just played our own ball. None of us scoring well!

Oh sorry, now I'm with you. I'm not sure what the rules are on that to be honest. I would have thought the club with have just put your cards down as DQ as you didn't play within the rules of the competition you entered. I'm fairly certain you can't put your name on a time sheet during competition times but then decide to play that round as a casual round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

But there would be no cards as they played a casual round.

My club is fair game for time slots, you don't have to play the competition if you don't want, however the only kind of pre requisite would be that you keep pace of play, fourball playing their own ball could potentially fall behind a better ball format - not saying ye did....

I think a lot of people assume you have to play in the comp, I remember getting some funny looks from playing partners when I told them I wasn't in the comp and was just playing casually - I pay enough money every year on my sub, don't need to be coughing up €5 once or twice a week for comps - especially when you need 40+ points to feature in the prizes

Would depend on the demand for the competition times I'm sure. Some clubs are full 3-4 days before the competition while others have times never used.

I think that is very much dependant on the club. I know our club has a waiting list for the competitions ever Saturday and Sunday so they generally won't allow you take up a competition time slot if there is 20 lads waiting to play in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Regarding Open weeks for golf courses. How do you find out what clubs are having open weeks and dates etc.

I played a few last year but they were last minute phone calls from mates or my brothers to say its open week here or there. Be good to know more in advance so you can plan them better.

Is there a list or website or do you have to go to each club's website to find out?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you booked in to comp by taking a comp time and didn’t put in a card , then yes they’ll tell you not to do it again. In advance you can ask the pro to make it a non comp time (they might not if people are waiting list)

the club have no way of knowing are you all going to put in a card of playing well, or not. They do know that if you indicated an intention to play a comp by booking in and then don’t put in a card then you are going against the point of whs system. You must put in cards for any comp entered or if notifying intention to play a counting round. Basically you are protecting your handicap it sounds like which is obviously not a terrible thing but it is against the point of whs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement