Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vincent Hanley documentary

• 22-02-2022 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Sad to see this programme. Brought back memories of MT USA on a Sunday afternoon. I did not know he was from Clonmel. Does anyone know where he is buried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fab Vinny 'kissy kissy'

(that was his catchphrase on 2fm or RTE Radio 2 as it was known back in the day)

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It has been well documented that he was from Clonmel.

Where did you think he was from?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

It was sad alright he died prematurely just as his career was taking off ...wonder did he tell his family the true extent of his illness, just hope he didn't have a lonely end.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Very sad programme all things considered. MT USA was a huge programme back in the day. I'm sure people in their teens/twenties would find it hard to believe how gay people were treated back in the day, when you see the strides we have made in the last couple of decades. Heartbreaking to hear about the parents home being stoned at the time of his death. I thought it was a well put together programme, showed you how he lived his life warts and all. Luckily for him he had great friends who stood by him until the very end. that journey from the airport must have been horrendous. Thankfully AIDS is treatable now. Not sure why the programme was made now and not some years ago, but was really well put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

His brother died in 2020 so all family gone as was mentioned last night, maybe that had to do with the timing of it, dunno!

I watched 'The Way we Were' programme few nights ago that covered 70/80s and I read Nell McCafferty's book on the Kerry Babies case recently, between those and last night's programme it really brings you back to what sort of life we lived back then. I was born in 1960 so all that stuff is relevant, it's hard to believe now, I had forgetten that you had to be married to get a prescription for condoms etc! Thankfully there was a few mail order options!

Shocking stuff looking back at it now.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

what???? did that really happen?? was that mentioned in the documentary??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I thought he was from Dublin. He didn't have a country accent.

Not all people from country areas, have country accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Well put together documentary, much more fleshed out than the Fab Vinnie one from a couple of years ago which at half an hour was too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

The first thing i think of when i hear MTV USA is Cyndi Lauper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Pat Benatar or Dennis De Young / Desert Moon for me. It was also the first time I saw acts such as The Cars and Bryan Adams. MTUSA was required viewing for a few years growing up, as we were starved of such entertainments those days; it knocked the spots off TOTP. The first 2 hours were mainstream videos, including triple plays, while the last hour was more indie stuff or lesser known artists.

Would love to see a few old episodes of it again complete with nascent 8-bit computer intro graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

Pat Benatar forgot about her!. she featured a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

Vincent Hanley is buried in St Patrick's cemetery in Clonmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Still going to sex clubs in New York despite being HIV positive was pretty indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think so, from what I could make out from the timeline.

I heard the MT USA tapes do not exist of the full programmes, a few clips are on You Tube though

He would go to a club where you took all your clothes off and slide down a chute into a stranger orgy .

.Not sure if he continued when he was HIV positive.

Read And the Band Played On, Randy Shilts.Gays continued going to bath houses in the AIDS crisis.

• Advertisement

Hughes used to kneel and VH would sit on his back to shoot as VH was too weak to stand.

They must never have heard of folding chairs

Was good but bit too much of Hughes talking to camera, loves his own voice.

The whole idea of the show was that Hughes was telling his story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Dire Straits Walk of Life is the song that comes immediately to mind when I recall MT USA. Raging I missed this show, will have to brave the player to watch it. I remember when he died, my mam told me it was pneumonia. It was only years later when I was googling the show that I found out he had died of aids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was it a sex addiction or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think it's very easy to judge history harshly by today's standards and knowledge.

In the early 80s not much was known about how AIDS was spread.

HIV itself was only labelled in 1986. So while he may have been HIV positive and looking back his friends may have pieced it together there's no way he was officially diagnosed as HIV positive before 86.

It was only when people were really sick that they got the AIDS diagnosis.

@soulwriter - i sense a certain degree of homophobia from your comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Its not homophobia if it was the truth. Things were portrayed that times were fairly crazy in the film Dallas Buyers Club. "I am gay and I can do what I like when I like with who I like" attitude. I was fairly young at the time and was not aware of the goings on. Its all just fun and games until someone gets sick and then everyone wonders if they are the next person going to get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Look it was a crazy time back then, gay liberation, cocaine, "vicars daughter syndrome". 24 hour TV was starting.

Even if i was homophobic what about it? No one is obligated to like any behaviour.

No one is allowed a view these days if it differs from the media spin

The part about the chute is in the doc. The bath houses are mentioned in Randy Shilts book

Edit: I have looked closer at definition of homophobia . I would clarify i don't advocate hatred, discrimination, violence etc

What i meant above is people are allowed to have opinion on behaviour of gays such as continuing to have sex while HIV positive. I don't say Vincent did. I don't think there was any HIV positive in 1983 as I don't think HIV had been discovered. I could be wrong.

I noticed that gay pride now seems to be pride and.have seen ads inviting the whole community to join celebration s

That's.just PR .

In general and not re Vincent ontinuing to go to bath houses when they knew there was some illness was stupid. Would be stupid for straight people too to do something like share needle.

The person who broke the window was just scum

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I loved the show growing up. Strong memories of watching it Friday nights with my Mum in 1984/1985. Was also shown on Sundays of course. First time I saw a video from Springsteen and then saw him in Slane shortly after. Fond memories of vids from Dire Straits Money For Nothing, Denis De Young Desert Moon, Nick Kershaw Wouldn't it be good. Does anyone remember that video from Rick Springfield Bop Till You Drop. Was a strange one. I enjoyed it far more than Top of the Pops as I really enjoyed some of the videos bands were making back then. I remember Vincent joking about phone sex lines which was all the rage in the US and then at the end of the show hinting he was going to look for a phone booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

The memories of MTUSA... sitting in a mates house on a Sunday afternoon with a few of us watching it and drooling over Belinda Carlisle / Madonna / Kim Wilde.... memories. Outside the pretty girls I vividly remember the ZZ Top videos and Money for nothing video.

Anyway, I remember Vinny doing DJ in Katy Daly's in Killaloe one Saturday night, he was fantastic, was a real eye opener to see how much better one seriously professional DJ like he was, over the local DJ's. He had the floor full from beginning to the end of the night.

Talked to him briefly and seemed like a decent bloke, sad that he along with so many others died of HIV/Aids. Even worse is thinking how badly a lot of gay people were treated in those days. And I won't say I was any better than average in those times, I'd hope I'm a lot more tolerant now - I certainly try to be much more open minded about other people's choices anyway.

Program was interesting though, seemed like he enjoyed life to the fullest at least before he died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

I did find it annoying that Hughes was always on camera. It was a sad tale of so many gay men. He was a very talented presenter and dj. I could careless about his sexuality.

what was shocking was that some scum threw a brick through his parents window before his funeral… just why?

MTUSA was a fantastic program. Obviously I didn’t know he was so sick at the end, it’s a horrific disease and took too many talented young gay men too early.

being In the US and New York especially during that period, it was always so shocking to see young men with this disease. I had many work colleagues that died during that period and many friends. Talented, warm and just lovely people, who did not deserve to die so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Watched MT USA each week. Was good sometimes but sometimes not a single decent song in the 2 (or 3?) hours.

Vincent was a good presenter, a natural

Hughes was a bit much at times in the documentary. Swearing 95% unnecessary. Silly imo for the presenter to jump in and comment in interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

That was the first thought that crossed my mind, though maybe I'm missing out on something here. In 2022 we know exactly how AIDS is contracted but was that the case when Vincent was going to those sex clubs? On the other hand, he seems to have lived a no-holds-barred life and Terry O'Sullivan described him as being "not particularly mature" and "a big child on a dangerous mission".

I don't remember MT USA too well so I don't have any nostalgia for that era. Still, I came away from the documentary thinking "what a waste". If he hadn't died at such a young age, I think Vincent would've gone on to have a fine broadcasting career. From the clips I saw, he had a lot going for him. He paid a terrible price for being born at the wrong time. He grew up in grim, homophobic Ireland and came of age when AIDS was ravaging gay communities. It's great that there are now effective treatments for people with HIV but tragic that they didn't come along soon enough.

Aside from the Vincent Hanley story, it was shocking to learn how the gay community in Ireland was openly discriminated against. Imagine a club being denied a licence to serve alcohol these days based on the sexuality of its clientele? Or that shocking Gardaí "investigation" into Charles Self's murder? That Gay Byrne interview as well, don't get me started...

Where our house was located we couldn't get RTE 2, reception was so bad we could just barely get 1. Our grandparents just up the hill had perfect reception so caught MT-USA the odd time there. Wasn't overly gone on the choice of songs, there was an overemphasis on American acts, yeah I know that was the point of the show, but a lot of what now would be termed yacht rock. The thing that looked most impressive at the time to me were the computer generated graphics for the opening titles and between break bumpers.

• Advertisement

Hughes favourite sound is his own voice. Talking head docs are pretty unimaginative

Don't know about Vincent but gays in general didn't want to know and the bathhouse owners didn't want to know. Former wanted sex and latter money

Randy Shilts book is fascinating .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Have recorded this and look forward to watching it. I well remember MT USA as 'must see' viewing every week.

I wasn't very much aware of the Charles Self murder and investigation but from the details outlined by Bill Hughes on radio last Sunday, it was pretty awful. Add it to what we saw in 'Crimes and Confessions' a few weeks back and it gives a damming picture of policing in Ireland in that era.

^^^^^

yep, Ireland was in the dark ages regards anything sexual back in those days, no thanks to the catholic church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought it was a good documentary. Vincent's sexuality was really the main topic of it. I suppose that's reasonable enough as it was the (forced) hiding of it that shaped him and informed his path in life.

Perhaps they only had rights to certain videos. Did MT USA inspire that Saturday morning Steve Collins (& the other chap that died recently) that played videos? Beat Box?

Yeah, I think it definitely set the template for that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Peter Collins, Simon Young. And it was a Sunday morning....

Yes Simon, RIP. Sunday it was. You've jogged my memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,482 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some people here don't get the point of MT-USA. Music Television USA. It reflected what was in the US charts, good and bad. There was no point in doing another Top Of The Pops, RTE2 was showing that already.

Haven't watched the doc yet, but it'll be a bit much if Una Mullaly goes on about being gay in the 80s, she was 4 when Vincent died ffs. She only came of age in the late 90s when Ireland had already been transformed in terms of attitudes to sexuality.

I was looking through random RTE archive videos the other day and came across this!

Hanley was the consummate professional broadcaster, but I can barely imagine what was going through his mind while having to interview this bunch of cnuts.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well it was his sexuality that killed him. I don't mean that in a homophobic way either.

If he was an alcoholic or drug user you'd find they would have concentrated on that if he died of liver failure or over dose.

As he kept his private life very private I suppose there was always the question of how he caught the virus...was it an unlucky one night stand or a long term partner that didn't know they were sick until it was too late etc.

The documentary addressed this, he was engaging in extremely risky behaviour, as was his right as a consenting adult, but there was a certain inevitability that he would catch the virus in doing this. Maybe he felt it was worth the risk, maybe he thought it would never happen to him.

From a cultural point of view I did enjoy the documentary. The same way I enjoyed "it's a sin". I do however wonder about the purpose of the documentary. He lived his life in private. I don't think his friends were "setting the record straight" so it seems abit voyeuristic probing into a dead man's private life especially when he guarded it so well when he was alive.

Fair play to his friend giving him CPR though alot of people wouldn't, not in the 80's to someone with aids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Considering the last 2 years, it really makes you think.

😂

It would have been interesting to have had more about his family and their response to it all. In the programme I think a family member said something about the shame of it and son on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

yeah , sounds like he lived a very reckless lifestyle , rarely ends well

• Advertisement
Advertisement