Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vincent Hanley documentary

Options
  • 22-02-2022 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Sad to see this programme. Brought back memories of MT USA on a Sunday afternoon. I did not know he was from Clonmel. Does anyone know where he is buried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fab Vinny 'kissy kissy'

(that was his catchphrase on 2fm or RTE Radio 2 as it was known back in the day)

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It has been well documented that he was from Clonmel.

Where did you think he was from?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

It was sad alright he died prematurely just as his career was taking off ...wonder did he tell his family the true extent of his illness, just hope he didn't have a lonely end.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Very sad programme all things considered. MT USA was a huge programme back in the day. I'm sure people in their teens/twenties would find it hard to believe how gay people were treated back in the day, when you see the strides we have made in the last couple of decades. Heartbreaking to hear about the parents home being stoned at the time of his death. I thought it was a well put together programme, showed you how he lived his life warts and all. Luckily for him he had great friends who stood by him until the very end. that journey from the airport must have been horrendous. Thankfully AIDS is treatable now. Not sure why the programme was made now and not some years ago, but was really well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

His brother died in 2020 so all family gone as was mentioned last night, maybe that had to do with the timing of it, dunno!

I watched 'The Way we Were' programme few nights ago that covered 70/80s and I read Nell McCafferty's book on the Kerry Babies case recently, between those and last night's programme it really brings you back to what sort of life we lived back then. I was born in 1960 so all that stuff is relevant, it's hard to believe now, I had forgetten that you had to be married to get a prescription for condoms etc! Thankfully there was a few mail order options!

Shocking stuff looking back at it now.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

what???? did that really happen?? was that mentioned in the documentary??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I thought he was from Dublin. He didn't have a country accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not all people from country areas, have country accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Well put together documentary, much more fleshed out than the Fab Vinnie one from a couple of years ago which at half an hour was too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

The first thing i think of when i hear MTV USA is Cyndi Lauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Pat Benatar or Dennis De Young / Desert Moon for me. It was also the first time I saw acts such as The Cars and Bryan Adams. MTUSA was required viewing for a few years growing up, as we were starved of such entertainments those days; it knocked the spots off TOTP. The first 2 hours were mainstream videos, including triple plays, while the last hour was more indie stuff or lesser known artists.

Would love to see a few old episodes of it again complete with nascent 8-bit computer intro graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

Pat Benatar forgot about her!. she featured a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Vincent Hanley is buried in St Patrick's cemetery in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Still going to sex clubs in New York despite being HIV positive was pretty indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think so, from what I could make out from the timeline.

I heard the MT USA tapes do not exist of the full programmes, a few clips are on You Tube though

He would go to a club where you took all your clothes off and slide down a chute into a stranger orgy .

.Not sure if he continued when he was HIV positive.

Read And the Band Played On, Randy Shilts.Gays continued going to bath houses in the AIDS crisis.

• Advertisement

Hughes used to kneel and VH would sit on his back to shoot as VH was too weak to stand.

They must never have heard of folding chairs

Was good but bit too much of Hughes talking to camera, loves his own voice.

The whole idea of the show was that Hughes was telling his story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Dire Straits Walk of Life is the song that comes immediately to mind when I recall MT USA. Raging I missed this show, will have to brave the player to watch it. I remember when he died, my mam told me it was pneumonia. It was only years later when I was googling the show that I found out he had died of aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was it a sex addiction or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think it's very easy to judge history harshly by today's standards and knowledge.

In the early 80s not much was known about how AIDS was spread.

HIV itself was only labelled in 1986. So while he may have been HIV positive and looking back his friends may have pieced it together there's no way he was officially diagnosed as HIV positive before 86.

It was only when people were really sick that they got the AIDS diagnosis.

@soulwriter - i sense a certain degree of homophobia from your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Its not homophobia if it was the truth. Things were portrayed that times were fairly crazy in the film Dallas Buyers Club. "I am gay and I can do what I like when I like with who I like" attitude. I was fairly young at the time and was not aware of the goings on. Its all just fun and games until someone gets sick and then everyone wonders if they are the next person going to get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Look it was a crazy time back then, gay liberation, cocaine, "vicars daughter syndrome". 24 hour TV was starting.

Even if i was homophobic what about it? No one is obligated to like any behaviour.

No one is allowed a view these days if it differs from the media spin

The part about the chute is in the doc. The bath houses are mentioned in Randy Shilts book

Edit: I have looked closer at definition of homophobia . I would clarify i don't advocate hatred, discrimination, violence etc

What i meant above is people are allowed to have opinion on behaviour of gays such as continuing to have sex while HIV positive. I don't say Vincent did. I don't think there was any HIV positive in 1983 as I don't think HIV had been discovered. I could be wrong.

I noticed that gay pride now seems to be pride and.have seen ads inviting the whole community to join celebration s

That's.just PR .

In general and not re Vincent ontinuing to go to bath houses when they knew there was some illness was stupid. Would be stupid for straight people too to do something like share needle.

The person who broke the window was just scum

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I loved the show growing up. Strong memories of watching it Friday nights with my Mum in 1984/1985. Was also shown on Sundays of course. First time I saw a video from Springsteen and then saw him in Slane shortly after. Fond memories of vids from Dire Straits Money For Nothing, Denis De Young Desert Moon, Nick Kershaw Wouldn't it be good. Does anyone remember that video from Rick Springfield Bop Till You Drop. Was a strange one. I enjoyed it far more than Top of the Pops as I really enjoyed some of the videos bands were making back then. I remember Vincent joking about phone sex lines which was all the rage in the US and then at the end of the show hinting he was going to look for a phone booth.

Advertisement