Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

So the rules for the European Tour have been changed from “you need to meet certain criteria to be eligible to play in the season finale” to “please play in our season finale because you are well known players and we didn’t really mean what we said. Or if we did, we didn’t mean it to apply to you two”.

I know that they are being added to field and are not depriving anyone of a place, but it just shows what a joke the Tour has become. I presume that next year, any “qualification” criteria will be totally scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I doubt there will be any change next year. They are using the excuse of covid for changing the criteria for this season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes, basically they are just making it up as they go along. If they don’t like the way things have panned out, they change the rules retrospectively and come up with some half assed justification for their actions. Muppets!

Great round of 71 by Padraig today in tough conditions. One of only seven players currently under par today and currently in a tie for 29th having started the day in tied 88th.

A 7 on the final hole today, unfortunately. Dropped him to tied 11th to tied 20th and spoiled what would otherwise have been a very good tournament for Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tied 3rd just 2 off the lead 5 holes into his final round in Dubai Desert Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭big_drive

Really showing that he's still an excellent player and can mix it at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Very unfortunate not to save par there. Bit of a wobble over the last two holes.

He would probably have needed a 66 to win so I think that bogey ends that dream but hopefully steadys the ship and gets top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That bogey seems to have been enough for Sky to completely cut him from their coverage.

Still an excellent performance for a 50 year old. Top 10 finish and up to 139th in the World Rankings, having been 448th after the 2020 Irish Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He's obviously striking the ball very well at the moment, less putts generally seem to drop as you get older. He's currently 16th in the R2D, or whatever it's called now, at this early stage which is pretty impressive.

Looks like he can still compete and maybe even win on a tough week when a few putts start to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Maybe the break was a good thing for him.

But - I felt he was too young and competitive to do the Ryder Cup job.

I think so, might have almost cost him two competitive seasons with the postponement and everything.

He's some man though, so wouldn't rule out the fairytale third Open Championship yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

I dunno ...I just can't see Harrington being seriously competitive on the regular tours ...the odd good round or two doesn't cut it.

Surprised he hasn't got stuck into the Champions Tour where he could make many millions over the next 5 years or so while he would be in his 'seniors prime' ..before the next tranche of youthful seniors come along.

Yes, interesting point. I wonder he’ll play in the various seniors majors. Or does he even have a card to play on the Champions Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dublin49

you are joking,Paddy was joint 4th in the Uspga last year,4 shots from another major,1 shot per round.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

As a Major winner on regular tour, Paddy automatically has Senior tour status in the states, Senior British Open is one id put money on Paddy to win

I'd say paddy knows when you go senior...the game is up in regular events...

I'd say he will hold off as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

The flip side is that there's lots of money to be made on the champions tour when you've just turned eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Does anybody know his schedule for the next few weeks? I can see he is in the field for the Honda Classic, a tournament he always plays and has won before. But I am surprised to see he is not playing this week in the Waste Management and even more so next week, The Genesis Invitational at Riviera. This is a course he loves and a great event. The field hasn't been fully confirmed yet so I guess he could still be added but he would normally have this boxed off before the season begins. I can't find information online regarding his schedule.

Statistically his game is as good as its been for 5 years, especially ball striking. It will be interesting to see can he build on that in the lead up to the Masters. I still feel he can compete in the tougher events such as the majors, but these days are numbered and he will need to take advantage of any good form.

• Advertisement

I think he could have a run in The Open - way better player at his age than what Clarke was.

Just looked up his exemptions after reading this. Thought maybe he could use a top 50 money list exemption but he's 65th on this list. he's a worldwide player who didn't alway play the PGA Tour but still surprised he's outside a top 50 that includes amongst others: Nick Watney, Hunter Mahan, Bill Haas, Marc Leishman, Charley Hoffman etc.

His exempt category is way down the list and makes it unlikely to get in on any particular week

35.Beyond 150 on the previous season's FedExCup Points List. If not otherwise eligible and as needed to fill the field, Past Champion members, Team Tournament Winners, and Veteran members beyond 150th place on the previous season's FedExCup points list in order of their combined official PGA TOUR and Korn Ferry Tour (through Korn Ferry Tour Championship) money in the previous season

In short he can't pick and choose, can only play where he's specifically invited or if he wanted to be on the waitlist for a particular tournament he may get in that way (much like the Sunday morning waitlist for the local club 😉). Reasonably enough he'd prefer to tee it up in Europe or the new continent of DP where he's a lifetime member I believe. He's probably in the Honda under a past champion exemption.

I'm pretty sure there used to be some kind of Ryder Cup captaincy exemption, but doesn't seem to be a thing anymore if it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Totally. When he won at Birkdale remember that Norman at 53 was leading going into the last round and wasn't really playing a full schedule at the time. Watson nearly won at Turnberry in 2009 at 59. Harro will absolutely still fancy himself for a run at the Open all things going right for him. And whisper it, so will Tiger..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

We lose the run of ourselves every Sunday. We arrive on the tee without time for any warm up, haven't done any practice since our last round and while we know that the best we should hope for is a respectable score, we're secretly hoping that our slice has disappeared, playing out of bunkers will just click and we'll make everything within 6 feet and obviously not three putt anything.

A lad who has won three majors, can still match the top guys for distance, had a top 5 in a major last year, has seen the lads like Watson and Norman come close to winning it when older than him, has seen Mickelson win a major at 50..... you can be sure he goes into the tournament thinking about winning it!

I'd be very surprised to see him win it, but it's not impossible. Getting another PGA or even European tour win at his age would be great to see. And that's very possible. If only they'd put the Irish Open on a links course, he'd have a chance of winning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Padraig has a terrible record at The Open since he won it

T65 - Cut - Cut - T39 - T54 - Cut - T20 - T36 - Cut - Cut - Cut - 72

Last years PGA is his only top 10 in a major since 2012.

Looking forward to seeing him at his first Masters in 7 years 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11 weent19

When you've got to go you've got to go!

I had a look there myself. He is playing the Chubb Classic on the Champions Tour this week. Next week he is in the Honda field. At the moment he is not down for any other field the following week. The possibilities are The Puerto Rico Open (secondary PGA Tour event), The Hoag Classic Champions Tour event and the Arnold Palmer Invitational. At the moment he is not on the invite list for Bay Hill so I would be surprised if he is in that. He did play in it last year so maybe this could still happen. The DP World Tour is in Kenya so I cant foresee him playing there.

His playing schedule into the Masters is hard to predict also. Apart from the Valspar which is the week before the Masters its difficult to see which events he will be in. Obviously he wont be in the matchplay unless he won the Honda :) ..........again.

Like you have mentioned, he cannot pick and choose anymore as such but he does have the extra option of the Champions Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be interesting to see how he gets on, just left Dublin yesterday and is playing the course blind, very unlike Padraig, might work for him though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

God, he seems to play brutal on the Champions Tour, +5 for three rounds with Länger winning with -16!

Don't know what it is, probably the set up and travel. To be competitive on the Champions Tour you need to live in America I would say and be playing American style courses every week.

Anyway Padraig has earned the right to do things his way and who really cares about the Champions Tour, bar maybe the senior US Open and British Open

• Advertisement

Harrington is in the field for the Arnold Palmer Invitational the week after the Honda. Big two weeks ahead.

Advertisement