Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If anything, he pulled out of sending another Tyrone player off after the melee, there was a high tackle by a player whose name escapes me that was already on a yellow, and he gave the free and just said ah forget it.

On the TV coverage, just show the games if time is tight, forget the analysis. There is lots of time during the week for analysis, between newspapers, radio and podcasts. Colm O'Rourke and Pateen spouting about intensity is a worn format after 25 years, just show the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, but you know and I know the way the GAA works the suspensions will likely get watered down. Unless pressure is put on the GAA.

As O'Rourke said yesterday on League Sunday. Contributing to a melee is an automatic red card under the rules. And Gough was in his right to do it. Plus if all refs did it would cut out the messing. Which is what the 'contributing to a melee' rule was for.

I hope the suspensions are held up and the GAA show some steel for a change. Not bowing to some technicality.

Scenes like the Tyrone v Armagh game only give fuel to the fire for those who refer to Gaelic football as 'bogball' etc.

I say fair play to Gough. And it is not often I praise people from Meath!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

It’s time to stop this nonsense. This might be amusement in a junior B parish game, but not in inter county televised games. It only reinforces bad opinions of Ulster football, which is a very good standard now. Tyrone were pulling back the lead so why a Tyrone player started the melee makes no sense.

First time when I heard it - I will be honest was that stereotype. First thought was - ah 'Ulster Football surprise surprise'. And Ulster football is back for sure in more ways than one! Now I do enjoy a bit of needle in a game. But if it crosses a certain line it does not look good. And I tuned into League Sunday wondering how Tyrone got four reds.

When O'Rourke explained the red card 'contributing to a melee' rule it made way more sense. Plus Gough has always been his own man.

I got to be honest I was never aware of the 'contributing to a melee' rule until O'Rourke highlighted it. Which says a lot about how the refs are not enforcing the rule properly because I assume they are afraid of the reaction/controversy.

Only this weekend, there were melees in the Cork/Clare (hurling), Dublin/Kerry, and from what I heard a right proper one at the Roscommon/Meath game, which continued apparently after the game. None of these games saw red cards AFAIK, save for Andy McEntee, and none featured Ulster teams either.

As said above, I've no bother either with Golderick enforcing the rules, but it has to be consistent - teams can't be entering a lottery on whether they will be sent off and suspended. Of course, they could just have manners.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Totally agree with your post . I particularly liked the way Gough managed the " melee " . Most referees rush in and try to physically separate the warring parties when the correct course of action is to stand clear , get out the notebook and start taking names. Then when hostilities cease start issuing cards . Can anyone clarify the rules on getting involved , is it supposed to be straight red ?. If not then a simple rule that " Third or subsequent entrants to a melee get a straight red " would soon put a stop to this nonsense .This was a very difficult match to referee and I thought that several more red cards could or should have been issued for head high " clothesline " tackles

I found the GAA Official Rule book here

Under

• 7.2 Infractions - part (b) misconduct at games by players - Category III (VI) - contributing to melee
    • --

• Penalties

(1) A one match suspension in the same Code and at the same Level, applicable to the next game in the same Competition, even if that game occurs in the following year’s competition.

(2) Minimum on Repeat Infraction - A Two Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level, applicable to the next games in the same Competition in which the

Repeat Infraction occurred, even if one or both game(s) occur(s) in the following year’s competition.

Exceptions to (1) and (2) above:

Arising from the National League, the InterCounty Senior Championship or from a combination of both Competitions (all in the same Code), the above Penalties shall be substituted by:

(1) Minimum: A One Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level applicable to the next game in the combination of the National League/ Inter-County Senior Championship, even if the game occurs in the following year.

(2) Minimum on Repeat Infraction:

A Two Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level applicable to the next games in the combination of the National League/Inter-County Senior Championship, even if one or both games occur(s) in the following year.

-----

From the above newspaper article (2014)-

"RED AND YELLOW CARDS

Red cards remain the same but to refresh people's minds here are the fouls for which a red card is warranted.

1. Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand, knee or head.

2. Kicking or attempting to kick with minimal force or with force or causing injury.

3. Behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent.

4. Spitting at an opponent.

5. Contributing to a melee.

6. Stamping.

7. Inflicting injury recklessly.

8. Abusive language towards a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline Official.

Football people should note that while abusive language to an official is a straight red card, to remonstrate with a match official in an aggressive manner is a black card, and this will be explained in greater detail below."

--

Note there is another newspaper article on it from the Irish Independent recently but it is subscriber only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That paragraph makes no sense. Are you saying that before games, players are weighing up whether or not they are going to be allowed enter a melee in that particular game. And that it's not fair to same players if they are not given proper direction as to the consequences of their actions.

Referees have different picky points. Some will penalise more for travelling with the ball. Some are picky on pick-ups. We'll never get consistency. It takes a brave ref (like Gough, not Golderick) to dish out 5 red cards in one go. Fair play to him. It will be great if it starts a trend.

David Gough, of course, a mix up on my part, and I haven't critisised him at all, I've said all along he was right in his actions. My point is though this isn't some new direction from the referees group, there were several other incidents this weekend alone where similar punishment wasn't meted out. In that sense, the Tyrone lads can count themselves a little unfortunate, but at the end of the day they took a chance they'd get away with it so I personally have little sympathy for them in this instance, 'If you can't do the time etc.... '

Players and teams do play differently with different referees though, even at club level. They will know in general what referees like and don't like, and will adjust accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Roscommon and Meath was handbags stuff. I was over on the opposite side of the ground but there wasn't anything in it.

But yes the rules need to be clarified across the board for almost everything. Last year the Dublin and Roscommon league game Dublin got a number of penalties and Roscommon got black cards for incidents that no other ref in any other game after that penalised players for. There is no consistency from one match to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They need a rule for melees or similar that the ref blows a whistle, let's say three times, then players have to remain where they are on the field, no running in to join the fray. If that existed then refs would have a chance to identify the troublemakers among smaller collections of players. People running half the length of the field to join in has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

From the above newspaper article (2014)-

"RED AND YELLOW CARDS

Red cards remain the same but to refresh people's minds here are the fouls for which a red card is warranted.

1. Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand, knee or head.

2. Kicking or attempting to kick with minimal force or with force or causing injury.

3. Behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent.

4. Spitting at an opponent.

5. Contributing to a melee.

6. Stamping.

7. Inflicting injury recklessly.

8. Abusive language towards a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline Official.

Under rule 3 and 5 all those who were red carded deserved their cards . If the referee actually fully enforced these rules then another half dozen players should have been sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Players and teams do play differently with different referees though, even at club level. They will know in general what referees like and don't like, and will adjust accordingly.

You're prob right. I must be too naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's great to get an impartial view from Peter Canavan 😉

"I would be pretty certain there would be an appeal and I would like to think all video evidence will be used and I would be very disappointed if some of the Tyrone players don't get their red cards rescinded."

It's time to double the suspensions for unsuccessful appeals. It would make county boards think twice about searching for loopholes and technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

You have to wonder what type of sledging goes on in a game like Armagh v Tyrone especially in 2022 with Tyrone obviously being much more successful than Armagh. Tyrone wouldn't be easy to sledge with their recent success but I suppose they would try to aggravate them some way.

I always imagine that when Northern teams play southerners the southerners use political jibes to annoy the players. This can't be done in a game like Armagh Tyrone.

Here is a recent brawl from my area. This is partially the reason why I would never pay to attend organised sport again as it is all about ego. I can see it for what it is, these young men can't handle another player making fun of his tattoo or haircut I bet so they lash out as they can't deal with someone making a chip at their ego. Organised sport isn't really my scene anymore, I am too misanthropic for it these days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faLFnVvaCis

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

I think the curling on the winter olympics would be a better fit for you baywatchHQ. Off you go

I will give you one thing it must be the first time misanthropic was ever used in a GAA thread in history!

It is normally the northern teams that end up going OTT it is kind of their tradition at this stage. Personally I like a bit of needle but it does get silly when it crosses a certain line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surely there can be a better arrangement especially in Croke Park for RTE presentation than having Joanne and pundits standing in the rain on the sideline. They look stupid under umbrellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dont even need the RTEplayer. RTE news would be doing nothing that time of night and sport is news

Eamon Fitzmaurice is an excellent co -commentator.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid O'Connor brilliant for Mayo so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭threeball

If Mayo had any forwards they'd have 10 all irelands. Left a ton of handy scores behind them in the first half. Should be out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Well considering 3 of their starting 6 forwards are injured they're not doing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭threeball

Doesn't matter who they have up there. They leave more behind than they get. Given their ability to overwhelm teams with running it should be a formality to put them away with easy scores but they rarely put a team away and not be hanging on with 10mins to go. It's not a new phenomenon either. Been thar way as long as I can remember

I honestly don't know how Ryan ODonohue is an all star.

I think he's atrocious. Just loses the ball and makes awful decisions time after time.

Surely DOC was MOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think DOC's performances regularly get taken for granted, he can make stuff look so easy that it sometimes gets overlooked.

He certainly looks back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dublin will need to be careful for the rest of the league. They are away next to Kildare and need to win as they do against Donegal at home. They then need to being something out of the last two games against Tyrone and Monaghan. If they slip up in either of there next two game it will be tricky going North looking for two or three points

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dublin are really gone to the dogs.

In previous league campaigns they may not have set the world a light but they were competitive v Kerry and always beat Mayo, and they never looked in danger of going down.

But this year is different, they lost heavily to Armagh and Kerry and were terrible against a Mayo team with a good number of fringe/experiential players in.

Some of the shot taking last night was brutal, as was some of the missed placed passes and mistakes overall.

Not the stuff I've seen from a Dublin team since the afternoon of the startled earwigs.

Something is seriously wrong, and they need to sort it out as there is no way they are beating Kerry in a All Ireland SF if they even get that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They really didn't look like Dublin last night. No control to their game and seemed to be just kicking in a lot of direct 50/50 ball

Advertisement