Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

I just saw the row there again on TG4 and in fairness to Gough it wasn't a "Feck this, they're all off" job. He kept a very close eye on the row as it progressed, consulted all of his officials, and took his time making his decisions. And as you have highlighted, I would say most of those reds were for this body-slam that has recently appeared in the game. Something fairly innocuous at first glance - these are very well trained, strong men - but one day it might result in a serious neck injury and then it will be taken seriously.

Like rugby, where there are so many camera angles you dare not strike with a closed fist, players in the GAA now know that so long as they don't punch anyone they run a very low risk of getting the line. So, as is the case in rugby, players have come up with new and imaginative ways to goad the opposition. I won't describe them. We all know what they are.

There'll be the usual chatter and bluster about this game in the days ahead and you'll probably hear the the age old "Ah, this isn't soccer we're playing!" and "Sure there wasn't a decent punch thrown in the whole thing!" as if that makes these melees acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Treble double

Exactly no strike, because players know they will be caught on camera and done. If lads thought they were in danger of getting a box they wouldn't be as quick to enter these pathetic looking pulling and dragging matches. You would be in more danger of getting a box coming out of the parish hall after bingo than in one of these unsightly capers.

Looked like the umpires picked out one or two and the lino another one at least. Looked like one or two kicks or hits at lads on the ground too. Officials were right to let them at it and embarrass themselves, nothing to be gained by separating them.

Anyone who’s ever reffed has probably secretly dreamt about being able to line 5 lads up and show them all the red like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

To me it was the behaviour of the players that was pathetic not the refereeing. I'm sick of this sort of sh*te in both football and maybe slightly lesser extent in hurling. Is this what we want our kids to emulate. If yellow and if necessary red cards were handed out quicker for any hint of this sort of stuff players might think twice before acting the boll*x. And never mind the tv analysts complaining that "the sending off ruined the game as a spectacle."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Referee needs to be supported bow though, the suspensions must all be upheld or else it's a farce,and ALL referees should give reds for similar incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Referee should be suspended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Why?

The ref is there to apply the rules. Contributing to a melee is a Red card offence.

They contributed and were given a red.

He took his time, consulated with his team and did what needed to be done.

I'm delighted the ref took that approach and I wish other refs would do similar in the future.

Those melee type situations need to be stopped, that's why the rule is there.

It will be interesting to see how the appeals will go, as from what I saw, they were guilty of breaking the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭enricoh

Saw in the Twitter clip above one of the Armagh fellas in pain after getting thrown again the concrete kerb. It was only his back though - best to leave it until a fella gets the skull cracked open

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'..... but there were no punches thrown....' ... '....era t'was only handbags...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

About time all this boll!x acting was cracked down on.

How supposed adults can act like that and yet it’s the referee getting all the grief on social media never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

Agreed , the fact that a ‘melee’ is still accepted as part of the game is laughable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

The problem is you'll see the red cards in a February league game. People will scream and shout about the unfairness of it all and come the Championship little will have changed. The GAA could stamp this out with refereeing like we saw today, but the question is will they follow through. The black card, after plenty of resistance, is now a very decent disciplinary tool at the refs' disposal which has rid the game of a lot of cynical behaviour. They could do the same with these dumb melees, but they need to ignore those who will be shouting loudest tomorrow morning.

How many players were sent off for contributing to a melee between Dublin and Kerry yesterday???

Oh so is contributing to a melee a red card offence or isn’t it.

Why were no Kerry or Dublin players sent off then?

Ask the ref! As I have already said, not enough were sent off.

Not sure why that is hard to understamd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bit that amuses me is the GAA actually have a 'melee' defined as five or more players. Has to be one of the most stereotypical GAA administration type of solution. Imagine trying to explain 'melee's'. 'fracas' and 'schmozzles' to someone not familiar with Gaelic Football! It is hard enough for people watch the games to know the difference!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As an aside, no coverage of Roscommon v Meath on the TV over the weekend, let alone of any D3 or 4 games.

Doesn't auger well for the exposure to be given for the Tailtean Cup later in the year. Even club games have minimal camera coverage nowadays, they're cheap as chips to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What was more annoying was that Joanne went to the ad break saying they'd have coverage of Down v Galway in the next part.

Said coverage consisted solely of showing one Paul Conroy point!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking about this yesterday the problem is the Sunday Game as way too much to cover, and rattles through everything at top speed on weekends like last weekend.

Personally I would like to see a Hurling Sunday Game type show and a Football Sunday Game type show. Make one optional on the player on alternate weekends so no one can complain. If I was a follower of a Div3/Div4 football county I would have been particularly annoyed. And I sympathise because plenty of times the Dublin hurlers would be lucky to get 2 or 3 minutes of highlights. Unless they are playing one of the 'traditional counties'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In fairness to RTE the "League Sunday" show has come on in leaps and bound over the last number of years.

What used to just be a 30 min show showing a few highlights of the games that were already on Eir and TG4 has expanded to an almost two hour show with lots of analysis etc.

It equals the Sunday Game in quality.

Last week which was a football only weekend was about 2 hours long they did show some level of Div 3 and 4 content even though I did not watch it all.

This week saw the return of the NHL and with week 2 of the NFL also on I guess they did not have enough time to go as far as Div 3 and 4 with football highlights but they did discuss the state of affairs in Div 3 and 4 with the two panelists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Sligo gave an exhibition of point kicking in the 2nd half in Markievicz yesterday with both Sean Carrabine and Niall Murphy kicking some absolute belters. It was a pity not to show off some great talent in what were really tough conditions. The rest of the country also missed the Sligo debut of Pat Spillane: looks like a good addition and kicked 2 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Poor refereeing clearly, yet the referee who applied the rules is getting abuse from you.

David Gough is the best referee in the country. He had the courage to make the decision yesterday to apply the rules when others have bottled it. He deserves praise not criticism.

The abuse match officials get is a blight on the sport. It needs to be tackled. Without referees we have no game yet they are subjected to physical and verbal abuse on a regular basis. The online abuse they receive at time is libelous. It is time for the GAA to back the most important people in the sport and take a zero tolerance approach to abuse of match officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sligo have so much potential. So many incredibly talented young players coming through next few years there. Definitely shouldn't be anywhere near Division 4. Once Red Óg Murphy becomes a regular in that side, Sligo will be major threat to many teams.

Niall Murphy for me is already one of the best forwards in Connacht.

Up to the melee, I didn't think Gough covered himself in glory. There were at least 2 high tackles that could have resulted in red cards. There were a good few high tackles in the game: melees/ pulling & dragging, constant fouling are only a minor blight in comparison to a lad getting clotheslined and possible head/ neck injuries. A forearm smash to the side of the face is no fun...but but but it was an open palm ref...

100% behind Gough's melee treatment though.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, Red Óg's not playing with Sligo at the moment by choice. Saw his oul lad at the game yesterday so maybe he might return.

Advertisement