Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Neutral perspective I think Kerry have an intangible composure now. As well as the skills. Looks like between Tyrone or Kerry for Sam? Have Mayo got it between the ears or enough forwards?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

Haha, come off it, the man was useless but one of the things he actually did do is try to constantly push and taunt the Kerry players to intimidate them, focussing on the wrong things as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The ball can touch the ground while you are in possession of it first i think e.g. a hugh catch fall over and ball touches the ground while in your hands is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Watch the first half Moynihan, Spillane and Clifford all caught him late hits. He seemed to get under the skin of a lot of kerry players tonight including the physio.

down are gone no doubt and should have gone last year survived in a condensed league , not sure just yet about who goes with them , offaly will probably need to get something out of the last two games at home to Roscommon and away to cork , big ask still ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Rule 1.2 of official guide part 2:

(ii)  Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing

Not that it matters but I thought that particular incident falls under this rule

thats an old one now , he gave away 3 stupid frees tonight that pretty much decided the game and all from lazy tackles , every player gets treatment , hes around with the last 10 years or more now he cant keep getting away with that excuse of the most fouled player in Gaelic football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Mayo will have Sam before a ref applies that rule correctly. Infuriating.

• Advertisement

you would want to have a PHD in quantum physics to be a referee these days with the amount of rules and by laws in the game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not disputing that. In fact he should of been replaced instead of Fergal Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

O'Shea seems to get under the skin of everyone on this forum as well for some reason. He was playing midfield tonight and Mayo were actually on top there overall. Yet somehow he's picked out as the main problem. There were several Mayo and Kerry players who were worse than him tonight.

it is something that the mayo people use as almost an excuse over the years , gouch got some abuse , as did the likes of o donohue or mike frank russell it never affected them , not to mention michael murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

People never seem interested in talking about him when he has a good game either tbh, only when he's playing poorly. He has been having a good impact off the bench this league and I think that's where he's best utilised - bringing a bit of physicality and tackling when bodies are getting a bit more tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is just one of those players. Peter O'Mahony is the same he is so Munster that fans down here love him but that leads Leinster fans to absolutely hate him beyond all proportion. Dan Shanahan, Donal Og, Dessie Farrell, Davy Fitz and by the looks of it Gearoid Hegarty is the newest addition to that hall of fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Saw a different David Clifford last night. Was getting stuck into players after the ball.

Good enjoyable game last night for football. 2 teams be happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Kerry and Mayo are no great shakes.............could be Roscommon’s year..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Different?

He's at that the whole time the past 2 seasons. Helps when you have an invisibility cloak on so the refs can't see you.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

David Clifford is a magnificent player. The dirt is going to be dished out to him by many opposition players. I'd be delighted if he can dish it back. He will need to if he is going to continue to be the driving force that he has been from what we have seen of him for the past 5 years. He certainly has the physique for it anyway. It's great to come across a situation where you have a back who is trying to put the forward off their game by pulling and dragging, but in David Cliffords case, he has the strength to put them in their place. I'd say fair play to him for sticking up for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sligo vs London hardly being streamed anywhere at midday? Wouldn;t mind something to watch early in the day

• Advertisement

When has Aidan O’Shea dominated a game and really stood out last? I remember when I saw him burst on the scene he looked fantastic energy power etc. Any time I saw him live since he disappeared in games some of which I would honestly have had to check the program to see if he was playing when he used to start. Sub is the right place for A’OS as he would offer little else. Mayo the better for it now.

There is a reason football fans get annoyed watching AO’S wasted potential. Missing in games non existent and not putting the effort in. A lot of times the most AO’S would do is a warm up on the sideline. Then there is the air of notions about him, but has done f all to back it up. I would go as far to say that AO’S has been more of hinderance than a help to Mayo football over the years. When a focal point goes ‘missing’ so often it holds back a team.

Excuses are/were always made for AO’S he had a quiet game because he was ‘used incorrectly’ tactical etc. After a while it wears thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He doesn't have the legs for the level Mayo play at anymore. His 'intensity' etc just covers over any cracks. He's not near the standard required anymore. Not even sure how he can be an 'impact' sub anymore. Mybe having him in the panel for his experience might be worth something but shouldn't be getting game time.

He won't create something from nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some points that probably accurate there. But I definitely would not agree with your comment about not putting the effort in. From what I have seen, he gives it everything, and his turnover rate would be very good in terms of tracking back and dispossessing in the tackle. I would never label him as lacking in effort.

One thing that I would say is that I don't think he has developed intelligently with experience. As the legs get a little slower, most of the great players develop an element of experience, maturity and a little extra cuteness. Better reading of a game, how to not panic when in possession and finding a good outlet for a pass. I haven't really seen that with Aidan. He still tries to do the same things as 5/6 ywars ago. Buldoze through players. It's seldom you'd find him trying to create space on his own inside the opposition 45 yards line. He just seems to have a headset which is focused on what is going on directly around the ball. Clever players will see what is going on around the pitch, directing other players to make a run which will free up space. Maybe create a bit of danger. With Aidan, the main time we'd see him is he is looking for the ball on his own around our 45 or half way line, or getting the ball and soloing through 3 or 4 bodies, or standing around the opposition box, waiting for a high ball (which is mostly ineffective now).

Anyway, thats going off on a bit of a tangent. Main point is for me anyway, cannot fault his lack of effort. But I would agree from what we have seen in the league, better off having starting as a sub and to come on for the last half hour. He's definately not a proper centre half forward anyway, and by having him there from the beginning of a match detracts from that role.

That is a good point you raise about AO’S he is just not a smart player. Which could make him look like he is not trying. All the tools but clueless on how / when to use them. Donaghy for Kerry same physique but adapted his game. Brought other players into a game as he aged. Always thinking.

Anyway as far as the league goes in general- if I was from Mayo would be satisfied. But would be at back of my mind do Mayo know how to close out pressure games? Kerry seemed to have figured out how to now. Which makes them very dangerous. That defeat to Cork in 2020 Munster done Kerry the world of good IMO. Much more calm and patient now since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You're speaking like he's not well versed in the art of d'pulling & d'dragging himself. Clifford is well able to mind himself and over the past few years has shown that. He's not some shrinking voilet that needs protection. He's also perfected the art of grabbing a defenders arm and falling over which buys him a free 100% of the time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

What do you mean he hasn't developed intelligence with experience? I'm not denying Aidan has some limitations and an impact sub role at this stage would probably be for the best. However look at the game last night for example...

It was his quick hand pass that set up the goal chance for Orme, a quick hand pass between himself and Kevin McLoughlin set up Boland for a point in the second half, he played in 2 kick passes to ROD for the mark and one of his frees. Even at the end of the game it was Aidan laying off the ball for Keegan to try and equalise.

Yet listening to some people all O'Shea does is pick up handy ball and try to bulldoze his way to goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

Watching Donegal play is seriously hard work. Don’t know what they’ll do when Murphy retires!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Meath are 11 v 6 up v Cork and are fully deserving of the lead, Should win the second half fairly easily I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

I apologise. He has had a few good games against Sligo.

A noticeable drop in quality between the game in Tralee last night and the game today in Ballybofey. Murphy is having the desired effect on Donegals improvement.

• Advertisement

Their attacking football is just glacial.

A team really punching below their weight the last few years and this year unlikely to be any different.

Their inter county team seems to mirror their club football, awful to watch.

Hard to see Donegal have any impact on the championship again this year. Some quality players undoubtedly but the slow hand passing and lateral play really makes them a horrible team to watch.

Arent fellas supposed to be making good hand passes? They are inter county level. You are basically giving a fella praise for the bare minimum on isolated incidents! AO’S has never fulfilled his potential IMO.

Yeah should be doing way better based on the players they have. Sort of a sleeping giant Donegal are. Would love to see what a more adventurous manager would do with them.

They don’t seem to have progressed much in recent years so a fresh approach is badly wanted.

Goggins trying to talk up Dublin on TG4. Sounds like he does not believe a word he is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Would be very surprised if Bonnar survives this season. Anything short of a miraculous championship run isn't going to be enough for him imo

Dublin well on top here. They could do with pulling away a bit with the extra man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would expect Dublin to win handy from here. Tyrone look very leggy and the black card wont help.

• Advertisement

Jayus you must have the blue tinted glasses on! I honestly thought Tyrone would hammer Dublin.

Tyrone look like they have a lot of room for improvement come Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

They are scoring points from all angles.......something they did not do in any other League game this year.

Tyrones marking poor and they are losing the midfield battle which is putting their defence under wild pressure.

Jayus 2 points for Tyrone after half an hour. Can’t believe it. And Dublin all over the pitch harrying getting points for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Dublin might be having the moment they realise the tactic of handpassing the ball backwards, sidewards and long spells of possession won't win many games anymore.

Some excellent kick passing the ball into the forward line. I'm am hoping that this trend of good attacking football sticks around.

Poor goalkeeping there. Tyrone lad didn’t need to go near him.

• Advertisement

So that's it. Hand passing and kick passing are just basic skills and deserve no praise. I suppose high fielding is a given too. You said above he's no good at bringing others into the play. That is plainly wrong as I've been watching him for the last 10 years.

You can criticise him for not scoring enough or running out of steam in some games, but there's no need to make stuff up.

Whether you think he fulfilled his potential is irrelevant. The question is does he deserve to start ahead of Conor Loftus, Fionn McDonagh, Conor O'Shea etc. I think he's made a big impact off the bench in earlier games, so it's probably worth giving that a try in championship this year.

Good hapf from Dubs. Much more like it. Tyrone miles off the pace though.

Embarrassing from Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

What a joke of a decision that was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Which one? The Tyrone player shouldering a player into the chest while off the pitch, without the ball, down onto the concrete, while already on a Yellow - that was indeed a joke.

I don't the player was hurt, but it was a stupid thing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement