Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Football League Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The 2 fellas on TG4 look gas standing on the pitch. Look like a father and son about to do one of them lockdown TikTok videos or something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This has been Dublin for about the past year since Wexford in the championship. Maybe the bookies odds will finally start to show it from now on in, as the rest of the country realises it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You're embarrassing yourself. Anyone that knows anything about GAA football and follows it to a decent extent knows that Ryan O'Donohue is a quality player. He is an excellent playmaker and is always looking to help the team bring the ball forward by showing for the ball in a determined manner, rather than a half-a$$ed manner. And for someone who isn't tall, he has great strength when he gets the ball.

I know it's difficult for the tribesmen to see their rival neighbours on the up, whilst Galway battle away in the runners' up league. But try to show a little constraint and you'll come away the better person for it. Had a quick look at your previous posts to see if you are just some spoofer. And the first thread that comes up is you getting a warning on this site. And then on about appealing it cause you think that labelling an amateur sportsperson "devoid of any personality" is not personal abuse. As I say - embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

The Dublin losses wouldn't be as surprising if it looked like they were really trying something new, but there's no evidence of a game plan, as far as I can see. No evidence that the players really buy into Farrell. Now, it's still early days in the year, but I do think there is a malaise visibly present there since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Holding possession is one thing but Donegal forgot the object of the game.

• Advertisement

Crucial relegation match between Kildare v Dublin in Newbridge the next round. I would have Kildare as favourites to win. They will be on 3 then and it will be likely Dublin and A.N other for the drop

• Registered Users Posts: 37,765 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus who would of thought Dublin would be in a relagation dog fight

They could say goodbye to using Croke Park every home game if they Division 2 football next year

I think they should use Parnell at this stage, regardless what happens. Tighter pitch could help in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Would Farrell get the boot before championship if Dublin were relegated (I don't think they will tbh)?

I think that Dublin will be back with a bang if they replace him with a better manager, there's still loads of talent there

• Advertisement

Great to see that London are showing no sign of rustiness after 2 years on the sidelines.

Also Limerick played their home match on UL north campus today. I wonder is that our first ever home match on foreign soil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is an artificial pitch. Absolutely stupidity by Limerick. It's shows how the weaker side of GAA is treated in Counties. I am not sure where it was scheduled for. But playing it on an artificial pitch with both the Gaelic Grounds and Mick Neville park available is am absolute travesty to the efforts that these Limerick County players make. I would doubt if the hurler's were playing a match it would be moved from the Gaelic Grounds. There is no stand at the UL pitch. How Limerick GAA got away with it is unbelievable.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bit harsh. The game was originally scheduled for the Gaelic Grounds but was deemed unplayable due to the terrible weather. It's likely that the UL pitch was the only playable pitch in the "county" (I know it's actually in Clare). Rather than send the Louth team and fans home after travelling all the way there, it was moved so that the game could still be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Leitrim v London was also played on a 3G pitch, in the Connacht centre near ballyhaunis

It was only changed at the very last minute too because there was a torrential downpour round 12 or 1. Limerick yesterday was way worse than during the big storm a few days ago.

Apologies, this is incorrect, this game was in the Connacht centre, but was played on a grass pitch, not the 3G

Part of that is down to having to suddenly move 10,000 people across the city on short notice. There would certainly be a crowd control issue in UL for a hurling match.

If it was a hurling match it would have gone ahead in the Gaelic Grounds even if the pitch got tore up. Rain was not that heave. It was no worse than in Killarney yesterday. It the footballers got shafted out to a pitch with no stand. I know people who were going to the match that went home. There would have been no need for crowd control at a hurling match as you tell the crowd they could not attend.

Lads are just trying to make excuses. What happened yesterday nullified the Limerick football teams home advantage.

Did the Ref declare the GG unplayable???. If so and there was s no other pitch available for he game us abandoned as happened to 3-4 other games yesterday.

No muck savage footballers are allowed to year up hallowed turf.

Slava Ukrainii

I live just down the road from PnG and was due to go but we got crazy amounts of rain and hail round there about an hour before throw in. The kind of rain that was so bad even Limerick people were commenting on how much rain there was. Try telling the hurling fans who have tickets they can't go to UL. You think thousands won't flood the place anyway seeing as it's open to drive or walk up to from a number of directions.

Clearly you are just one of these football fans with a chip on your shoulder and there will be no convincing you.

• Advertisement

I would say he would get until Dublin are out of the championship. I would disagree that there is loads of talent there. But no way should Dublin be doing as bad as they are. I listened carefully to the stuff that was said about Dublin on League Sunday. A lot of it was correct going on about the style of play no structure etc.

But the bit that annoyed me was no one questioned if Farrell was at fault. Cantwell hinted at the strange interview. But instead of focusing on Farrell, Whelan came out with loads of excuses. The best one was Farrell has had no time to coach the group of players!

But the truth is this same craic was obvious to anyone with two eyes since Wexford last year! Then we had Spillane going on about older players being mentally tired! Another nice ‘get out’ there was none of that chat in 2019 when Dublin looked beaten a man down v Kerry,

Dublin fans are now seriously questioning whether Farrell is up to the job. But it appears the pundits are afraid to say it. Ending up talking in circles.

I coached both hurling and Football underage. I be equally to critical of hurler's treated the same way in a football county.

No excuse for it. Like I said was the pitch declared unplayable by a referee. I somehow think it was not but the County board moved the game from it.

You cannot host an all Ireland or provincial club game without a stand buts it's ok for an intercounty game.

Was the pitch declared unplayable by the referee on inspection????

Slava Ukrainii

This is what I know.

9am pitch inspection gave the all clear . Around 12 or 1 (can't remember exactly) the weather turned mental. With the teams already in the stadium the game was called off completely. At that point someone I don't know who was able to secure the move to UL which I assume suited both teams better than a reschedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

offaly v galway was called off as pitch was unplayable, they then went down to NUIG up the road and played a challenge game!

Is that true? Bit mental if it is.

Anyway, nice to see Limerick being allowed to play in and around Limerick City, it used to be that they brought teams down to Kilmallock rather than play in Limerick, always thought that was very mean spirited.

Usually it was Newcastle West and the reason was that traditionally that's around where all the football fans were from. Being from the city I wasn't a fan of idea and it must have been off putting for away fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Interesting re farrell, he is shipping heavy criticism. However, if you look at the gang of players he has to blood now, you kinda wonder why more of that didnt happen under gavin. I think gavin done a bit of an alex ferguson on it, and ignored the future for his own short term gain.

Re relegation, I think it really stood to mayo personally. Young guys got a head of steam up in division 2. They jumped forward in their development. Its probably exactly what the current crop of dubs need. Nothing worse for new players than getting smashed by the best defenders in the game or roasted by elite forwards every week.

Re dublin, i see a couple of issues.

1. For all the blaming of the new crop, i see their experienced heads in the middle third being poor every week. Scully, howard, small and fenton are not playing well and so dublin lose the middle third.

2. Their defenders are too set in this 'defend from the front at all times' ethos, and the word is out. Again for all the talk of new players, their fb line the other night contained fitzsimons and byrne; their goto markers, and it came under serious pressure because teams are creating goal chances by looking to play balls behind and to the side of them. They need to go back to basics and mark side to side. You mightnt look as good but it would stop them getting caught so much.

When those two things combine you are going to seriously struggle.

"His own short term gain" was a historic 6 in a row and a dominance the likes of which we might never see again in our lifetime.

Well worth sacrificing blooding a bit of talent for.

Hard to see that angle. I see him as a very exciting forward with craft and intelligence. His tackling is outstanding also. The way he took over from oconnor last year was exemplary for any young player

• Advertisement

Maybe. I take your point, but it could be argued that some players could have been given some game time and dublin still win the thing, considering they didnt really get a game until very late in the year. They seem to be almost starting anew, whereas generally, lads will have been in training the previous season etc and be closer to the pitch of it.

There seems to be a disconnect football-wise between the newer lads and the stalwarts, as if they are meeting for the first time. Its just not what you would expect to see in intercounty teams.

Advertisement