Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which used full BEV would you buy for €23000 or less?

• 18-02-2022 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

For example: Leaf, Zoe, i3, Ionic, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

For that amount you'd get a Zoe ze 50, or a 40kw leaf , if you look around you'll get an ionic , that's 3 decent choices ...

Just check on done deal and use the filters ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq28

We're on our second. Couldnt suggest anything better.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well I wouldn't pay 23k for an Ioniq (I paid that 3 years ago). 2017-2019 are all the same spec so anything more than the cheapest one on Donedeal and you're paying for warranty and/or less mileage, and the 2020 car is rubbish in its electric aspects (slow charging, meh size battery/range for the price).

Yes don't get the 38,get the 28, and pay 18-20k max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends on your needs. Firstly what is your daily commute round trip in km? What is your typical weekend long drive round trip in km?

The Zoe 50 possibly has longest range but ccs is not a standard option and it therefore can be slow to charge on long motorway trips. It's also a relatively small car. Do you regularly carry people in rear seats or bring large bags to airport or on holidays?

Do you have access to a second car for longer trips? EVs make sense for 99% of trips but on very long trips beyond their range you need to stop and try find a public charger not in use. This could mean a 1 hour stop at motorway services, not ideal or multiple stops on an Irish holiday. It's the most frustrating part of owning an EV.

What do you drive at the moment? For some people it may make sense to hold off until longer range EVs are in the lower price range. All these cars are in the 100km to 250km range, while more expensive cars are in the 300-400km range. It may not suit you to be limited to 50-100km from home, without needing to public charge.

I would pick the 28kWh ioniq over the 40kWh leaf, but it depends on circumstances, and prices of used models reflect that.

Do you have your own driveway, do you own your own house, can you get a home chargepoint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

If “other” mention which one in a comment.

Ioniq28

/thread

What makes you feel so strongly? Curious. And if you don’t mind, can you name the various EVs you have owned and what your thinking is like about it all. Thx. My problem with Ioniq28 is the range (what real-world range you getting on one charge?). Yes it has fast-charging, but don’t want to stop to charge and with some more range I’d never have to.

Ihave owned a leaf 24, ioniq 28, tesla model S 90d , and now I/m back in another Ioniq 28 albeit herself's one. I'm waiting to replace the Tesla with another one shortly so we'll be a 2 EV household, currently my car is a 2004 vw touran .

At that money 20-23k you're not going to get something with longer range. The leaf40 has similar real world range to the Ioniq28 - but it doesnt have CCS and charges much slower on Chademo. Zoe is a smaller car and again charges slowly. To get something significantly better than Ioniq28 you'd need to spend 30-33k and get an eniro/esoul used or a used Tesla model S.

I would avoid the newer Ioniq 38 as it charges glacially slowly, avoid the leaf as it only has chademo and has rapidgate issues making it impractical for longer journeys, and the zoe , while a great car, is much smaller than the others and has a 0 ncap score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Why the 28 over the 38? AutoExpress lauded the 38 as a big improvement.

• Advertisement

The 28 charges to 69kW and maintains a good curve all the way to 85%. You can do 20-94% in 25 minutes. I've done it myself.

The 38 gains about 50km range due to the larger battery, but, as it's a battery pack from the 39kWh Kona which is in itself the same as the 64kWh minus a couple of modules, the resulting voltage drop and conservative battery charge curve, means it charges super slowly meaning even 20-80% (let alone 20-94) takes 40-45 minutes.

Most of the Irish Ioniq 38 dont even have the same spec as the 28, eg adaptive cruise.

Thanks for your response. Question: how long is glacially slowly and why so? Wouldn’t we be charging it at night at home? And if needing to fast charge couldn’t we just charge the 38 model to 80%? We would be charging 99% of the time at home, I’m sure of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ioniq 28

Charging to 80% would take 40-45 minutes vs 20-25 in the 28. It's slower in the 38 because it is a 350v pack not 400v, and because the charge curve tapers super early slowing down the speed

If you never do more than 220-240km in a day then it's a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

130km worst range, winter cold, full 120km/h gps speed. Typically 160km+ more if you keep speed below 120km.

It's ok if those limits suit your commute and weekend trips. I had a 110km commute so I saved a fortune on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

What is she driving at the moment? How many km does she do a day/week/month?  £650 a month on petrol thats over 400 litres of petrol, 40 litres would more than fill my Toyota Prius.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depends on your interest.

i3 is a great car to drive. I loved mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Definitely Ioniq have one and it has been rock solid since I bought it new (172), great car with great tech, adaptive cruise, wireless phone charging, android auto/apple carplay...ect..., Will be selling mine in the next month or two - not just yet though! , seen a few of them on carzone as well, great car!

Definitely Ioniq have one and it has been rock solid since I bought it new (172), great car with great tech, adaptive cruise, wireless phone charging, android auto/apple carplay...ect..., Will be selling mine in the next month or two - not just yet though! , seen a few of them on carzone as well, great car! at he moment the gom in winter is showing about 210km and in summer it is showing about 247km, my normal route to work has no motorways though which would probably reduce the range, super efficient car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

BMW 218i Active Tourer! Probably not the most frugal (although it's a 3-cylinder 1.5L engine). She probably knocks up 1500km a week and I'd say she's a heavy right foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Patser

Agreed, i3 by far and away to best drive, and best interior of all those. Only issue may be space if you need it for a few older kids.

€23k would easily get you a 94ah with Rex, so over 250km range. If you're really lucky maybe a 120ah so you don't need rex. But still better with 94ah and specced up interior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

A granny charger would not charge her car for 1500 km a week, that amount of miles needs a big battery car 60 kWh + at least and a proper charger.

That sort of monthly spend on petrol would cover a long range tesla on pcp Est. monthly payment£605 /mo.

I sure there is cheaper alternatives.

Ioniq classic 28kw (I think it might be 30 but 28 is useable)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Another vote for ioniq here, what kind of trips will you be taking?

I just totted up the mileage for the last 26 days from the ioniq & I did an average of 40 miles per day when all was said & done. A couple of 200km trips & a10 min ccs charge for me home with plenty of juice.

We did a700km round trip in November. Two ccs charges each way was plenty. We have a diesel as well but the ioniq is so much nicer to drive especially with the lane assist & adaptive cruise control. I have an se which also has blind spot detection which was very handy on the motorway. I love it. My only gripe is it's a company car & i was going to buy it from the company when 0% bik is gone but i dont think it has lost any value at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'm supposed to be trading my 201 MG ZS exclusive for €22k so that would qualify as being under your budget. Looking online they are few and far between so hard to put an actual value on it.

Anyway, more range, newer, more useful space inside, warranty etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We have an Ioniq 28kWh since Jan '17. It's a great car and would likely cost around €18k at moment. I tend to put the range as a dependable 160km at 130km/h indicated on an average Irish day. It will go lower on a stormy winters day (worst for us was 140km), and you can usually recover this by dropping to 110km/h which I would do anyway in stormy conditions. I know anyone who has every owned an I3 REX seems very happy with them, they're also a pretty good choice if you need a balance and are a one car family.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged the two threads

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Another vote for Ioniq. Get one and keep the change. I will moving on from my 171 Ioniq 28kW soon, but I have to say: whoever picks it up will have a great car. Many times I have looked to upgrade it, but nothing matched it for rear seat shoulder space (which is what matters with kids / car seats), boot space, and bang for buck in terms of range for the battery size.

If my planned change didn't pan out, I would be 100% happy to keep it; that is how much I am on the fence about changing it to a 5yr+ newer car.

• Advertisement

You merged the threads, but you got rid of the poll? The poll was a handy visual reference.

Advertisement