Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long until we see €2 a litre and will it push more to EV's faster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

with no end in sight😕

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭malinheader

Maybe I missed it but why are the hauling companies and lorry drivers not going ballistic and protesting. Are they getting subsidized or some concessions on fuel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 638 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Well until EV's come down to a decent price I don't see them replacing ICE cars. I aint paying 10k for a clapped out old EV with knackered batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

So if someone has an oldish car that’s paid for you reckon if they buy a new ev car they’ll save money? If they lob out 35k plus 2k for the home charger that’s 37k @ this €2 a litre you are forecasting they’d buy 18500 litres of fuel, that’s a lot of driving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 638 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I will get an EV at some stage but at the moment my 4k VW UP that barely uses fuel can do for the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

That looks like zero driving as you seem to have omitted in your costings the amount for a ANY car to take the fuel. Also, is there no value in having a nice new car? Your opining and car ownership maths appears to be built purely on begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One thing I have noticed with EV's and Boardsies who have them - Many of them can't seem to get out of them fast enough and move to the latest one that comes along. My x month old EV is so great I couldn't wait to sell it and buy the latest kid on the block.

So inspiring.

What exactly are you trying to imply? I gave an example of basic maths to show how the op’s definition of saving money was flawed. If you read my post before putting your fingers in gear you’ll see that it’s an example using a car that is fully paid for, they do exist you know. Where the Hell did you get the begrudgery from?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

In your example, one individual with a paid off car vs one individual sitting on 37k of a fuel stock (you didn't even calculate in the rising cost of the fuel and future value). I don't think your basic maths compared anything or exposed the OPs (scant) assertion on saving money. I am not sure why you excluded any value in your calcs in actually having a car, nevermind the value to someone of having a nice new car (some trade in so often it has great value to them, though it is difficult to add a monetary value for this). Apologies for the begrudgery comment, but I am struggling to see the genuine basis of your calculations- an apples and oranges/ car and fluid comparison.

The op stated that if fuel goes to €2 a litre more people will buy EV’s to save in fuel that’s what my example is based on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

electricity prices going up too like

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't see how buying a new car saves me money..

We own both our cars outright. Relatively newish. It would take a lot of full tanks to make up for replacing those cars.

Post edited by lawred2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

at the moment I spend 5e a week on electricity compared to 75e if I take the petrol car to work.

It would have to go up a lot to make that a concern.

And if it does go up you'll be paying it too, EV or no EV.

Changing car to save money never makes sense but if you are buying new anyway then you'd be a fool to not consider an EV.

Or if you do small KMs,or tow a boat to france ,drive cork to donegal 2 times a week or live in an apartment then an EV is not for you but for 95% of people they will work well.

Very recently I couldn't help but reply to someone who said something like: 'wow, my mate and I went for a spin in his Tesla 3P and it only used $1.20 worth of electricity; my MX5 would have used $14 worth of petrol to do the same trip.

I replied that for the difference in price between a Tesla 3P and a Honda Civic Type R (FK8), you could buy enough petrol to drive 300,998 km, which is almost to the moon.

How much are they both new , in Ireland today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

2 Euro is highly possible, but not so much due to any deliberate policy. Fuel excise is exorbitant and the crude price internationally is rising. Reducing fuel excise will trigger the Glasraí gods, so that's not likely, though I hope I'm wrong. Greater numbers working from home for now might moderate the pain, but the rise is putting people between the proverbial rock and hard place. This country is just simply incapable of handling a sharply increased uptake in electric cars, whether in respect of charging infrastructure or the ability to generate the electricity needed. The direction the government is taking with grants suggest they are not pushing people to EVs, even if it is a good idea to reduce diesel use for private cars. Load shedding isn't too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

e scooters ??

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I don't think the current Type R is even available here anymore, the FK8 did launch here in 2020 starting from like 56k, the M3P at the time was only about 5k more expensive I believe.

Assuming the Type R had continued to be sold here and it kept the same price ratio Vs the M3P, that €5k would get you 2778 litres of petrol at €1.80 a litre. Taking the Type R's WLTP figure of 8.5l/100km that would give you about 32,680km of range.

In reality the price gap would have tightened between the Model 3 and the Type R as the VRT changes whould have jumped it to the 37%, adding about ~4k to the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The M3P has gone up in price too, they now start at 66k.

Another to notice, they also seem to have a diesel at home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Petrol/ diesel keeps climbing and we won't see people switching en masse to EVs. We'll see them marching on TDs houses and clinics and demanding reductions in state taxes on motor fuels. Either that or an immediate general election and put people in who will do the necessary.

My plan is to emigrate to somewhere where the government is more reasonable about taxation and where motoring costs are significantly lower and where the sort of price differential I mooted, actually exists.

In the Uk, there is a £25575 price difference, which will pay for an FK8s lifetime fuel usage, even at the current high price.

Problem is there is no utopia. I could move to the US and probably double my salary but your stuffed if you get properly sick. A mate had a bad accident in the US in his classic and despite the fact he had the best healthcare you can get it pretty much bankrupted him. Inflation is hitting every country in the world. Getting a house isnt just tough here its the same in the US,OZ, lots of european countries as well.

You knew the difference when you were telling your mate,

or are you just telling porkies on the internet.

Thanks for the lesson, but I have lived in 3 countries to date - not just visited with a backpack - and I think I have done my homework.

You have misinterpreted what I said. Perhaps re-read it.

Tell us how much they are so .

right then, you can sod off with that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Bought an e bike a while back and use that to zip the 15km each way into the nearest town where I work. I use the car when its raining badly but even just using the e bike on the nice days has saved me a lot of cash.

Advertisement