Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounts attached - The current reality facing beef farmers - Any advice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People used think like that but the pain and cost is all one way.

Ultimately the problem is people want cheap food, govt wants cheap food, people want strict regulations and environmental care but to balance the first part there is a European wide Push towards importing from countries where standards are non existent and a petrol is the only thing for Trees.

People producing max output is a problem as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Don’t mind all the shyte you’ve heard so far, here is what to do.

1. lease 230 acres at €200 acre - €46k straight off there.
    2. assuming all your neighbours are working off farm, bore a few holes in the ditch and let the cows into the neighbors when they’re gone to work and have them back in yours by time they’re home in the evening. that’ll save a fortune in fertiliser
    3. surely the neighbors have plenty of big stacks of bales in their yard and the odd field. Rob circa 10 every few days and they won’t notice them gone. That’ll save a lot in contractors bill
    4. Increase sucklers to 100 (in the first year and extra 10 every year till you hit 200)
    5. gross profit in year 1 - €40k subs, €46k rent, sale of 100 weanlings at €900 a pop =€90k total €176k
    6. less expenses: €45 euro for round of drinks in local on the Monday evening you sell the weanlings: €8.50 for rasher sandwich, club milk and tae in the mart
    7. haulage fees - tell yer man ya’ll pay him the next time you see him.
    8. Net profit €175,946.50
    9. use the 20 acres to park the new John Deere, new 10’ krone mower and you’ll need 30’ trailer for drawing the bales from the neighbors (can’t be doing two trips in case their missus spots ya)
    10. and to think you spending €2.5k on consultancy 🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

Everyone is telling the other person to reduce, cut , cull change to organic. Completely change everything that his father has set up after a single year farming.

there are plenty of lads chop and change from system to system chasing the next big thing and never really get good at any one thing and in doing so never really make the big money.

this lad has 75 sucklers on 250 acres, he’s far from overstocked. If it’s weanlings your selling then it’s weanlings you need to be selling , not bunches of random stores. That means getting them all gone before October and calved in January. That way the op is only left with cows to winter. But you need continentals and good ones to make this work.

another option I’d be seriously considering in the ops situation is to trim back the cow numbers to around 60 and run a good Angus bull and finish everything.

the op is 28 with a good off farm job. You’ve a serious opportunity to make this work but it’ll take a lot of tweaking and a serious amount of work.

I think your biggest problem is trying to be intensive.

It is leading to very high costs and not leaving extra profit.

75 suckler cows is an awful lot for a part time farmer.

Would you consider dropping to 30 and keeping the progeny to beef?

30 is a nice number for the schemes etc.

You could always buy in a few dairy cross heifers Angus or Hereford and finish them at say 25 months when prices are reasonable.

I wouldn’t buy freisian bullocks as they will be stuck with you for 30 months and are feed inefficient and you get caught with the masses when going to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

this lad has 75 sucklers on 250 acres, he’s far from overstocked

At first glance he's not overstocked.

But then he is spending €25,000 on meal, €10,000 on straw and silage & €11,000 on fertiliser?

That's over €600 a cow/pa on those expenses alone.

Seems outrageous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Crap. It not rely helpful to the post OP put up

Slava Ukrainii

OP seems to have a long winter. This has increased his costs. He says that the land while very good and is capable of three cuts of silage changes rapidly and become incapable of keeping stick outside in winter.

3-4 years ago we had lads advocating straw bedded houses in preference to ATS. He has s in Donegal. He probably gets 60''+ of rain in twelve months. Straw probably costs 10/ bale to transport from tillage areas to where he operates.

His figures are horrific but his output figures seem ok about 1k/ Suckler weanling. Yes he is stocked low. Calving in January means he will have those cows calved and needing silage and ration for 10-14 weeks.

It easier to keep a weanling over the winter than a suckker cow feeding a calf.

Slava Ukrainii

I would not consider him overstocked. I think it's the length of his winter and the shear costs of the cow over this winter.

It immaterial how efficient or inefficient an animal is in a grass based system. Watching the marts all this week but the value in yearling for stores is quite clear. Buying yearling Friesians sub 300 kgs for sub 500 euro leaves a 15-18 month margin of 8-900 euro gross.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

You can’t refuse to sell but you can refuse to produce . The OP is getting 40 k per annum to keep the land barely ticking over and yet persists with keeping 70 suckler cows to lose 30 k of it .

Ya his costs are the issue. He understands that it just trying to figure s way out of the system. You can add 25k on contractors, vet and some other costs bring him to 1 k/ cow

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yes he is stocked low.

He can't be if he has such supplementary fodder requirements, he may be stocked low compared per average across the country, but it sounds like his ground is incapable of supporting the stocking rate he has.

Spending €11k on fertiliser, €10k on silage and straw & €28k on meal to keep 75 sucklers is not a low stocking enterprise.

Although OP does say he gets 3 cuts of silage which is impressive for a place with long Winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

True but a dry suckler cow can be wintered on poor quality forage while a weanling needs good quality forage maybe with nuts too

Aw well sure everyone cant be as intelligent as your good self. Or maybe you should loosen up a little for once.

I think he is definitely overstocked. The costs look very high to me.

Buying freisian yearlings and expecting a guaranteed €4 a kilo is leaning on the optimistic side of things.

Last year was great for beef cattle in many ways. But in a typical year the price isn’t as good but the costs are way lower.

Extensive farming is the way to keep costs and labour down.

Id agree with you that the long winter is a killer. Perhaps a shift to lighter stock and to get them out early?

I finished a few freisian bullocks last year and they out ate anything in terms of ration and silage. Compare a nice suckler bullock off grass at 25 months to a freisian at 30 months after 7 weeks of meal at say an average of 4 kg a day ration.

Doing rough calcs there 11 k last year wouldn’t that have been like nearly 30 ton of fertiliser?

Seems very high for a beef set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭DBK1

30 ton over 250 acres would be only 2.4 bags/acre over the whole year, I’d consider that to be a very minimal amount, especially for someone taking 3 cuts of silage off some of it.

I have adapted my system 3-4 times over the last 13 years. The present system is the longest I have got and there is another 1-3 left in it. At present I am wondering about an 18-20 month system finishing Friesian bulls off grass and 450-600 kgs of hulls/ barley/ maize. It's would allow you to draw the 100 euro sub 24 month payment that is proposed. I could finish them at 290 kgs O+2+ at a fixed price.

It is not the fittest or most efficient that survive but those that can adapt

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

€9,808 profit on an asset worth, what,

€1 million?

No wage for yourself included in that.

What is your opportunity cost?

Its the money you could be earning if you weren’t farming, say for example €500 per week, €26,000 per year.

Plus the money you could rent your land/sheds for. I am guessing here but say €15,000.

Then disposal of assets and stock you no longer need for farming, say €100,000.

You could be earning €41,000 per annum and have €100,00 in capital by not farming.

I know it’s a lifestyle and a passion but if people looked at the hard, cold, figures it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I would not consider myself intelligent, arrogant yes. I try never to ( maybe I have but I am sorry if I did) be sh!tty to new posters ( on f&f) I might not agree with them but I give them a bit of leeway

It's is often hard to leave an efficient system. OP is 28 he has taken over the place I imagine,.and is shocked at the reality.

Land can change very fast. Reseeding can make land very soft. I be forgiving of his inexperience. I was 41 when I bought my place I am twice to three times the farmer I was then to now

Across 250 acres it's about 45/ acres. It's not outlandish. It's is outlandish on a per cow basis. A forum like this should be able to solve this detail.

It's probably nearer 1.5-1.8 million. 30 years ago it would have been half that. Really it's only a matter of trying to make a sustainable profit

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Give the sucklers the gate, buy enough weanlings to fill quota (keep for 2 years). Rent out some land/silage ground. Rent out some of the sheds..Bnb or whatever.

Your left with almost no work , f**k all expenses, 40k ,plus rent money, plus bnb money, plus whatever you make on the 20/30 weanlings...tis a no brainer from what you're at.

Or go extensive/organic with the sucklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Or if you wanted full control of the farm, you could go for 100ish weanlings in a semi extensive set up. Very little work and shouldn't be much expenses.

BTW your expenses seem waay over the top. I'd have a big look at them and shave them down drastically.

I think spreading 2.5 bags to the acre over the year on moderate land is outlandish in a beef system.

The OP makes a very important point and that is the increased price in 2022 is quickly being swallowed up and then some by the massive jump in the day to day expenses in a farm of fuel, fertiliser, esb, labour etc.

You make a very valid point earlier on minerals for cattle. Even on good grassland a shot of minerals to an underperforming animal can work wonders.

A top tip for any beef farmer suckler or store to finish is improve silage quality and keep numbers handyish

I think it is a lot based on the system I run.

I often make silage off surplus grass that got no fertiliser.

On silage ground I’d put out 2 bags of can and slurry for a first cut.

I think it’s a crazy expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

To look after 75 cows plus all followers is surely a full time job if it’s to be done well . Must be hard to hold Down a full time job and look after the farm efficiently, maybe that’s partly the problem. I can’t understand how he’s paying €5000 on insurance every year , maybe he’s been screwed on most of the costs as there isn’t the time to get value elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

OP I gather you’ve recently taken over, you’re reseeding, possibly fencing, tidying up allot of loose ends. It takes a good 3-5 years to get your bearings and possibly the same again to get a system to suit both you and your farm. You’re proactive and got a good head, lose the weight of expectation, just do your best. Shop around on your costs, like insurance play Axa, Zurich & FBD against each other and don’t be afraid to walk if you’re not happy. There’s been some comments to do this and that, but nobody knows your farm like you, don’t be afraid to make mistakes. I’ve been tidying up too, money spent on sheds, reseeding or fencing is a once off and you’ll have the benefit for many years, it’s best doing this now and hopefully you’ll reap the benefits when little ones come. Ideally sell weanlings as the come ready (keep an eye on market), if keeping over the winter do you need to meal when on the cow (will you be paid)? Test soil & silage to get as good as you can (remember you have to feed the ground for the cow to feed you) Work on your grass & cow management skills and if you think of condensing the calving is there an option for hired labor to calve when you’re working. Don’t be afraid to cut grazing that’s getting too strong (might save on 3rd cut)

Best of luck

Hi James,

Suppose I better give you my serious response seeing as a bit of light-hearted input is not welcome!!!

I’m actually not going to get into the farming side of things as this has been well covered by many posters. I work off farm in a well-paying job at management level but like yourself, it’s an area that if I dropped out of, I’d get it very hard to get back in, especially near the level I’m at now. You are 28 years old on a salary of €75k. That is exceptionally high at your age and will probably increase incrementally year on year – well done you but please look after that in the first instance. 250 acres is a big farm and if you continue to farm it progressively, it will eat a lot of time. You will, no doubt, end up leaving work a little early to attend to things and your work will suffer. And that will not go unnoticed either at work. Reducing to 4 day week is only an option if your employer hires someone for 1 day per week to cover you and as you’ve said yourself, you will still be expected to get the job done in 4 and it will only increase your stress and ultimately take from your performance.  Salaries of €75k are fantastic but I’d imagine that you are working damn hard at that as it comes with the territory at that level. Management won’t be interested in your farm but only what you can give to them. I’m going to assume you’re in the private sector so job protection is not as strong as in the public sector!!!

Factor down the line with wife and kids, something will have to give.

I farm 20 sucklers on 60 acres finishing all stock. I clear about 10-12K on the cattle and have about 16k on subs and I easily do it on average of 10 hours a week. Albeit I have a family member and good Neighbor to keep an eye during calving season. The job doesn’t suffer and apart from the missus giving out now and again, it’s all within reason. But calving 75 cows would be a huge challenge whilst working full time and in my view is not sustainable or safe. Health is your wealth and work-life balance feeds this so don’t forget about your own health in all of this.

Best of luck at whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Think we've been had, the figures make no sense, 5k for diesel own tractor with that contractor bill? 25k feed while selling weanlings, 5k insurance ( sorry if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭893bet

If you read down a few posts from the OP they clarify that 5k included loads of stuff that’s not diesel like tyres, repairs to a quad etc.

I suspect the same can be said for all the top level categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Go to OP, 7800 tractor running expenses ( includes insurance !), 5k diesel, 1225 tractorrepairs, ( 5 k repairs also)

Just realised 7800 for farm jeep? sorry maybe I'm wrong so 😏 Still I cant get head round expenses

Advertisement