Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

There will be war if Will Smith doesnt win. His wife will have a total eppo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

delighted for Jesse Buckley she really is a superstar in the making, a brilliant talent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I was really hoping Alana Haim would get nominated, she was excellent but I did suspect the role wasn't quite 'serious' enough for the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,958 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's a best director nom for Spielberg in six different decades!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Naturally no Gaga, she waltzed on the screen with the grace of a bored Italian fishwife who hounded her husband. The only saving grace about House of Gucci was that Adam Driver turned in a marvellous performance as someone who once cared but then proceeded to not give a f*. Im annoyed Catriona Balfe did not get a nomnination. That annoyed the hell out of me. Judi Dench who played a supporting role got one on basis of her name . Balfe was marvellous as the mother charged and tasked with keeping the family from falling asunder.

Best Supporting Actor

Ciarán Hinds, Belfast

Troy Kotsur, Coda

Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog

J.K. Simmons, Being the Ricardos

Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

Best Supporting Actress

Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter

Ariana DeBose, West Side Story

Judi Dench, Belfast

Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog

Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard

no Catroina Balfe😕 and RTE news bigging her up last night

I thought she was shoe in for a nomination, tbh I did not even think Judi was a contender, her 8th nomination too and her past win was for about 8 minutes on screen

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Think the same on both counts...

RE: Gaga, clearly shes a competent actress but I get the feeling she's been thrown nominations due to that alone.

Prior to watching House of Goofy I heard Jared Leto was like he was in a different film and exceptionally bad but really he is most definitely in the same film just an exaggerated "It'sa me Mario" accent that pretty much everyone else had going on with the exception of Adam Driver who was more composed and Al Pacino who was am mostly Al Pacino. It was a bizarre amusing watch but not something I'd revisit I was surprised it was in the mix for Oscars buzz at the time of watching, so omission for the big gongs no real thing now.

RE: Catriona Balfe, that's a shock! Thought Belfast was okay a decent fare but she excelled in a role that was integral to it assumed given it's overall praise for and tips for best picture her performance would be the obvious candidate to run alongside it. It was a leading performance but other awards standings have her down as supporting role as can be the case with these things. Kirsten Dunst for instance surely a lead role probably had 10 times more screentime than Dench and gets to run in the same category!

It's a very poor year as suspected, I've personally seen half the films in best picture (Power of Dog,Dune,Nightmare Alley,Belfast,Don't Look Up).

Dune was my favourite of the bunch and as good as it was is not a complete film not least because there's obviously a second part to come, might have guessed Villeneuve for director (which he didn't get) up for best picture then, strange one.

Don't Look Up, McKay can do no wrong it seems. It's better than Vice and that managed to get nominated too so not the surprise inclusion some people may think, no chance of winning though.

If the frontrunners really are Belfast and Power of the Dog, I'd like to see Belfast win if only on the basis that it bored me less, that's where I'm at ha.

Of the ones I haven't seen Drive my Car seems the most intriguing, will give the P.T. Anderson one a go too not sure about the rest.

Bono and Sing 2 snubbed or too late released for contention?

Do we really want to see Bono up on stage giving a cringey acceptance speech??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I really hope the Encanto song wins, if there's anyone deserving of an EGOT it's LMM!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Doesn’t the James Bond sing always win?? At least it has the past few films anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It won the Golden Globe, so it's in for a good shout here. Maybe I'm biased because I was never mad on the James Bond series in general, always found the songs released a bit same-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Bit surprised Van the Man got a nod given his stance on matters covid, thought the academy would have steered clear of that (rightly or wrongly) but I suppose he's not being nominated for Best Medical Advice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think some of the crimes against music he has committed over the last few years should be even more disqualifying 😅

I tell you what though, I'd much have the artists of the world have an actual liberal view like Van, instead of imbeciles like Neil Young peddling the corporate line. We have lately come into a bizarre world where the artistic leftists of the world or at least those who would of been in times past, are now hitching their ride to the Corporations and political parties and narratives. And I am not anti vac in the slightest but what Young and those others have done will have James Cameron going to further depths to try and raise the bar again its gone so low.

Gone are the days where artists revolt against the system, now instead they are doubling down on the system, performing at their events, and trying to shame/cancel those who don't!

The show will be a three-act show with a different host helming each hour

• Advertisement

get Ricky Gervais up there to shake things up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Forgive me struggling to grasp this, Neil Young has been an environmentalist as long as I've been aware of him. He's been very narky but consistent over the years very comparable to Van in a way actually.

He saw the few hundred of scientist/doctor signatures on a petition to Spotify and gave them a voice basically as sure noone listens to those, Spotify isn't corporate enough??

What events are these? Was Van not the main man rolled out for Bill Clinton all them years ago?

Song attached really does demonstrate a tame push back on a Boris government when compared to the protest songs of yesteryear alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Come into then thread, not sure what to expect with the 2022 Oscar noms... Instead find chatter about Van Morrison, liberal hero and Neil Young, corporate stooge.

Uhhhhh...

🤷😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have just watched CODA, and it's easily my favourite of the Best Picture nominations, and I've seen 6 so far.

Watching Nightmare Alley next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah didn't he ask to have his music removed? I'm not sure what horrible thing he done.

It is a shame Peter Dinklage missed out for Cyrano 

Jared Leto must be upset, his transformation was pure bait and then snubbed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A close contest between himself and Kodi Smit McPhee.

Jessica Chastain won Best Actress for The Eyes Of Tammy Faye, and deservedly so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement