Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

I ported over to An Post Mobile yesterday in a post office. No text required plus if you keep your number the first month is free. Took 20 mins to port the number. Once ported all my 2FA messages from the prior days all arrived. Just an FYI if you are looking to port away from 48 due to the text issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Hmm. That's good to know - thanks!

Only issue remaining before porting is the fact I've €90+ in credit with 48! My card all of a sudden stopped working for auto renewal (works with everyone else!) so only way to top up was to have a balance of credit.

I'd assume if I leave I won't see that money again 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭ooter

one of the numbers i was having issues with just texted me to say he got a few texts that i was sending him over the last few days so maybe the issue is resolved?

i haven't got any of his previous texts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Yes! Just tried and I got the 2FA text from Microsoft. Finally.

Still, unacceptable support from 48. Near non existent which is disgraceful given the scale of the issue they were subject to.

More than likely I'll still switch to a new provider given this experience.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thing is, you get the same non-existent customer support from the other budget MVNOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it possible to find the date and time of a voicemail message on 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭beachhead

Also,48 seem to be blocking Revolut authentication texts or are they just Revolut cards when paying membership.Changing browsers makes no difference

That's incorrect. Whatever day in a month you buy membership, you have it until the same day the following month.

The only exception is if you buy membership on the 29th, 30th or 31st of a month and there are less days in the following month, then your membership lasts until the last day of the following month.

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/All-About-Memberships-and-Payments/ta-p/53105

• Advertisement

corrected -- 30 days regardless of days in a month

Eh, wrong again.

In their own words from the link above:

'Additionally with 48, your membership runs per calendar month as opposed to every 28 days, so you’ve more days on us.'

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I can confirm with me, they take payment on the same day each month, in my case the 1st of each month. I originally joined when they had the €7.99/month deal:

Never been that lucky.Always 30 days and I get a reminder text.Maybe if you sign up to auto pay you get special treatment.Wouldn't encourage me to let them help themselves to my cash.

I dunno, I manually bought a membership on 28th January and I've currently 10 days left, which means it'll expire on 28th February so I'm definitely getting 31 full days there.

Did a double double check on my sub.I was correct first post it's 28 days I get.Some people are privileged.Using your calculation I get 28 days,always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

I have it on Auto-Renew and it always gets taken on the 19th of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This is from the contract emailed by 48 when SIM is ordered:

"Your membership lasts from the date of purchase until midnight at the end of the same date in the next month (the anniversary date)."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone any experience of using 48 in the states? What are the charges etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dannijuno

48 doesn't work abroad whatsoever, you could be very lucky to get the APN settings etc to work but it'll drop again and again. Its a nightmare of a network abroad. I switched over to eir, no issues whatsoever now. 48 has let me down in 2 big emergency situations with 0 network connectivity. I was glad to switch and am headache free now. Otherwise in Ireland, they are ok but roaming is non existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I got it to work pretty well the last time I was in Europe. I just got the settings from them and after a restart it worked fine. My (strong) advice is before you go contact their support and get them to detail all the changes you have to do. It was a shambles coming home though as I had to context support to understand what to do to be able to get back using 48 here.

The time before that when I travelled it was a total cluster. It took them over 10 days for them to resolve the issue.

It surely would be easier for them to sort this out now rather than occupying all those support resources.

My service has worked when abroad after getting the correct settings and no problems on return here-reconnects straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

This has appeared on 48's homepage. I assume they will be upping the price for new customers after April 4th, unless they have any new bundles planned.

Or are they closing the service.Offers being emailed and texted offering deals to move to 3.Move to 3 and pay a minimum of e20 a month for one or move and get a "free" Samsung or Oppo which cost e35 a month on 3 website another offer.Are they aving a larf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

I don't think these roaming "problems" will ever be resolved. I'm guessing all mobile operators have to pay operators abroad hefty fees so their users get seemless roaming with adequate speeds. And I'm guessing 48 are going for the dialup package with each one. Hence the reason they are able to offer such low prices. No other operator I'm aware of comes close to €7.99 a month but they all do roaming properly except for 48

Are the problems related to people trying to download films from Netflix etc Hardly just internet browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

Tesco and Virgin are the same. But you're right it likely won't be resolved. At least not as things stand currently.

Roaming is a direct loss of revenue to the likes of 48, Tesco and Virgin.

Example, the €10.99 plan comes with 10GB of EU roaming allowance.

Under EU roaming regulations the wholesale data cap - that maximum EU operators can charge other EU operators for roaming - is €2.50/GB ex. VAT (since 01/01/2022, it used to be higher again).

Thus, if you use that full 10GB allowance in the EU, it can cost 48 up to €25, ex. VAT, to provide that to you at wholesale rates.

On the €10.99 plan, 48 get €8.94 once VAT is taken off, which means 48 makes absolutely nothing from the next 3 months worth of memberships because it's used to pay off the €25 roaming charge.

Not only that but any service that they also have to provide to you during those 3 months in return for your membership is done at a complete loss for them.

Unlike Vodafone, Eir or Three, they have physical networks so while roaming is also a cost to provide for their customers while abroad, they can recoup and offset some or all of those costs through charging foreign operators to allow their customers roam while in Ireland in return. They can also negotiate mutually beneficial roaming rates far lower than the wholesale rates with individual operators in each country. This is why Eir, Vodafone and Three will all prefer different networks for a given country while roaming.

The likes of 48 don't have that leverage because they have no network to offer to the foreign operator at a more competitive rate in return.

Hence why there is absolutely no incentive for EU roaming to work well on the likes of 48 because it literally loses them money to provide it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

Roaming worked grand for me up North last weekend. It automatically changed over to O2-UK about five minutes after crossing the border. Mobile data, texts, directions on google maps worked fine. Had to restart my phone to get it to reconnect to 48 on the way back down but it was fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Hopefully 48 customers will see 4G roaming from 1st July when the new Roaming Regulation takes effect.

• Advertisement

Agreed,but less than 5 minutes if you have the correct settings.Could be EE connection as well.

Advertisement