Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Note that it’s the preferred option (or presumably mix of options) as opposed to preferred route that is due in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s the preferred route.

That’s just bluff out of Ryan. Nothing more than you’d expect to be honest. Remember this is the fella peddling the lie that the M20 will cost 3 billion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's the final preferred option, not a mix, that's to be announced in March.

the preferred option for the N/M20 Cork to Limerick Project will be announced as part of a public display during Q1 2022.

It was announced in Feb 2020 that the route would follow the current N20. The options that they're picking from are on this map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

“It's the final preferred option, not a mix, that's to be announced in March.”

No it’s not, you are mixing up routes and options. The N20 corridor is the basis of the preferred route corridor for a road. That was determined in Phase 1. It is not the final preferred option, it is one of three options that went forward to phase 2, the current phase.

The road corridor chosen in Phase 1, together with the two rail options that came from Phase 1, one involving improved service frequency with through services at Limerick Junction on the existing line, the other providing a new direct line between Charleville and Limerick all go forward to Phase 2. Phase 2 will result in a recommendation on which option or mix of options will proceed to the next phase.

The ideal output from phases 2, 3&4 would be an M20 connecting Cork & Limerick together with an upgrade to the existing Cork-Limerick rail route which would allow more frequent and faster service. The worst case scenario would be a road recommendation of 2 bypasses (Charleville and Buttevant) and a few other fixes to the N20 and a new direct rail route from Charleville to Limerick. Given the utterances from Ryan and his department, the delay in announcing the outcome of phase 2 (and in particular the reason given for the delay), the budget set out in the NDP, and the mood music I think it is increasingly likely to be a mix of road bypasses and upgrading of the existing rail lines.

Just to clarify, There are seven phases in this project, of which phases 1-4 have been contracted. We are currently in Phase 2, Option Selection. This was due to finish last Autumn, but is now delayed until March.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭pajoguy

It did finish last Autumn but the route selected at that time did not sit well with powers that be. Consultants sent back to drawing board.

• Advertisement

If there is no M20 announcement every FF and FG politician between Cork and Limerick will get hammered at the next GE. Will play right into SF’s plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well considering that we have three Green parties in Government, rather than just one (which was therefore supposed to have one-seventh of the influence) with the way both parties sold their souls to get into power for one more go of it, I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

And again someone’s lazily blaming the Greens.

The local TDs who are reluctant to push the M20 aren’t doing so on green principles. Every motorway ever built attracted a NIMBY group, some of them very well-funded, and so the politicians are keeping their necks in so that they don’t become the go-to hate-figure for objectors, or for those who have been demanding the road for years...

... until they can judge how their electoral base really feels about the project, at which point they’ll come down on the side they feel will reward them with most votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Nimby groups are much, much worse than they were and the judicial review line is far more of a sword than it used to be.

Don't forget, the M9/8/7/6/1 were all built without MASSIVE Nimby problems. Only the M3 and the Slane Bypass really got hit with issues (as well as the original Galway bypass). Nowadays pretty much every scheme gets bogged down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can we wait until we see the preferred route/option before starting the usual Greens are responsible for everything I considered to be negative nonsense which every thread here seems to descend into now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Why would a new motorway and upgraded rail line be better than a new road and new rail line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

In fairness the Mallow to Cork section is probably over capacity now. It needs to be done. I think that's what they were getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Why wait? Either we get the Cork to Limerick M20 that we have been promised for years, or it is effectively canned by the Green Minister for Transport to comply with newly-introduced Green restrictions on road investments which the Greens demanded as a condition (among others) of going into coalition.

If it's the former, we get a pleasant surprise in March and a sense of relief that someone somewhere is still capable of making sensible decisions on infrastructure investment, and if it's the latter we will have gotten a head start on the justified complaints.

The choice isn't M20 or nothing. Like I said, lets wait to see what's selected before acting like Eamon Ryan pissed in your Corn Flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,223 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is. The traffic figures speak for themselves.

Slava Ukrainii

Well the project is called N/M20 so the choice isn't M20 or nothing. And before people lose their ****, it can be any proportion of N:M. Going by traffic figures, the middle section would be N. But like I said, lets wait for the actual proposal and discuss that instead of ranting about hypotheticals.

Actually, there’s a possibility that the whole thing will be Type 1 DC, but that it will be the middle section, not the ends, that ends up under motorway restrictions if there’s a split. There’s lots of reasons not to have motorway regulations on a road with close-spaced junctions carrying a lot of commuter traffic. (See also N7, N25)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be a motorway between Limerick and Cork, it's that simple. There is nothing complicated about it.

Unless people in Cork and Limerick are happy to accept cheap and second rate by a minister from South Dublin.

I don't think they are. I don't think local TD's will be accepting that either.

Do it properly or don't do it at all and wait until the Greens get smashed at the next election.

“It’s that simple”? No, it isn’t.

Before I start, I’ll say that I personally think the best approach is a Type 1 DC (what most people would call a “motorway”) for the whole length of the scheme, but that’s only for reasons of consistency; and I would expect the Cork end to be on green signs, not blue, because that’s what Cork County has done with all their other major approach roads.

On traffic numbers, however, there’s not a lot of justification for that position.

For example, now that Adare will be served by the new N69/M21 project, there is no traffic justification for any of the new-build N20 in Limerick to be a motorway (the already-built M20 serves Patrickswell). The original M20 plans had N20 here serving as part of a southern bypass of Adare, which would have produced enough traffic to justify a Type 1 DC. With Adare using M21 instead, you’ve got a road that serves only Croom and the very sparsely populated southern part of County Limerick - maybe 15,000 vehicles a day at the very most.

In this part of Limerick/Cork there is not a whole lot of diversionary travel - bad as N20 is, there really isn’t any better route than the current one (look at a map that shows mountains), so current traffic levels are pretty close to actual demand for North-South travel in this part of the counties.

A 2+2 from the M20/M21 interchange all the way to Mallow would be well within capacity (pre-pandemic peak traffic levels are around 11,000 - less than half the capacity of a 2+2), and it would be considerably cheaper to build than a motorway.

If I was responsible for getting value from the transport budget, I would seriously consider the 2+2 section, as that would allow me to use the savings for projects elsewhere on the network, and by doing that I could move forward other projects in Cork and Limerick. (Upgrading N71 from Bandon to Cork, or N24 Limerick Junction to Limerick, for instance).

Appallingly short sighted approach in my opinion. 2+2 leaves Agri machinery, and cyclists free to use the route, and they’ve no way to avoid it either as no continuous alternative route would be provided. 2+2 also allows domestic, commercial and field accesses along the route. A recipe for disaster

I know there are other road jobs that need funding too, but to make a half arsed effort at the M20 isn’t the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Traffic numbers on the N20 are not reflective of the true figure of potential motorists driving this route as many Cork->Limerick drivers do not use the route at all. Instead, they use the M8 and R513. Look at the 2019 figures between the two Mitchelstown junctions (TMU M08 105.0 S & TMU M08 100.0 S) and you see that almost six thousand cars join/leave the motorway at the junction. Put that with anecodatal evidence reported on here, and from people I know, who never use the N20 simply because it's too slow, awkward and unsafe.

Furthermore, there is induced demand - traffic is attracted to better roads. A perfect example of this is the M17 motorway. It did not do one part of what its builders hoped it would do and take (the bulk of) traffic off the N17 for Galway. Instead, what it did do, is re-route a whole lot of Mayo->Dublin traffic down this route. Which is great news for all the back roads in Mayo that people were taking previously. Similarly, a tradesman I know in North Galway took a job in Limerick for a few months - he told me that he would never have considered it had the motorway not been built.

The same applies for the M20. Its construction will allow for more possibilities for people. Consider someone from Buttevant who has been offered a job in Raheen but is thinking of not taking it because they can't afford to rent in Limerick. With the M20, that becomes a reality for them. A safe, reliable journey into the outskirts of Limerick.

I would not normally be in favour of an absolutist, all-or-nothing approach to things, but in the case of the M20, it applies. In fact for me, it's simpler - it's not M20 or nothing. It's M20 or M20. Patrickswell to Blarney is only 80km - not 800. My concession to gradualism for me would be to do the Croom bypass upgrade last, since it's a pretty good road. Leaving Banoge to Blarney, a distance of 70km. And the highest priority is the dangerous 40km between Banoge and Mallow.

Let's not do an Ireland of the 1970s and half-ass this job now, like the 2+1 sections on the existing road. Build it once and build it right.

"Build it right" seems to be on the basis that what is right is simplywhat the person saying it wants. The road type will be determined by TIIs methodology and that will be whats right, whether people like it or not. Their determination is all that matters. Any non-motorway sections will have nothing to do with the Green Party, despite some of the nonsense posted here.

New build Type 2 DC is unlikely to have field accesses and they require adjacent but separate walking/cycling route (unlike motorway). Agricultural traffic is not a serious concern, agri vehicles don't drive long distances and the distance between junctions generally means such a road will suit very few journeys. These things are not going impact on the assessment of road type.

We should know in a few weeks.

@cjpm - Cyclists are not permitted to use the vehicle carriageways of a 2+2 dual-carriageway, but the 2+2 road-type requires that a parallel cycleway must be provided. Private accesses are forbidden on 2+2 roads.

Agricultural machinery will end up on the road regardless. All modern tractors can reach the minimum speed required to use a motorway.

@serfboard Look at a relief map. The Galty mountains means there no other route but N20 between North Cork and South Limerick. Traffic leaving at Mitchelstown is not heading back towards N20 - at peak, 3,000 AADT on N73 between Mitchelstown and N20. Traffic on M8 and N24 does not drop either side of Cahir. Very, very few people are using M8 as a replacement for N20.

The difference between a type 1 DC and a 2+2 for your imaginary commuter is not really that significant. That trip from Buttevant to Raheen means driving on 40 km of road that is yet to be built. At a steady 100 km/h on a 2+2 that will take 24 minutes, at 120km/h it’s 20 minutes. There will be little to no congestion on either road type until the N21/M20 interchange.

Again, though, my preference is for Type 1 DC all the way through, but there are arguments for a 2+2 that are not just “doing it on the cheap”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Your mis-reading of what I said: "Traffic leaving at Mitchelstown is ... heading back towards N20".

What I actually said: "many Cork->Limerick drivers do not use the route at all. Instead, they use the M8 and R513".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The provisional 100m wide corridor for any proposed route will be announced end March or start of April at the latest.

Agricultural machinery will end up on the road regardless. All modern tractors can reach the minimum speed required to use a motorway.

Just on this, I recall there being something of a catch 22 with this particular requirement as in a min speed of 50k must be achievable, but if an agri vehicle can do 50k or more it is not permitted to use green diesel. I could be wrong about that of course, but I recall it being discussed a few times here on boards. Someone else might be able to offer something concrete with regards to this

@KrisW1001 and @Pete_Cavan

Genuine question….

Were you opposed to the M20 in 2010 when the then NRA put the project through the oral hearing stage?

A lot of traffic from North West Cork avoid the N20 too. I personally know a few people who detest the Cork Mallow section.

• Advertisement

I wasn't opposed to the M20 in 2010 and am not opposed to the N/M20 project now. I was pointing out that the choice is not M20 or nothing. There is a definite possibility that part of the road could be Type 2 DC, the project name even reflects this. This has nothing to do with the Green Party, despite some of the vitriol on here. TII will determine what is the "right" road type based on their methodology. That will be the only true "right" road type.

Those saying build motorway all the way or nothing seem willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. It makes no sense at all, if the goal is good safe infrastructure, then 2+2 provides that on much of the route. They seem to see opportunity to whine about the GP as a decent fallback prize. Thankfully those with any influence don't have the same attitude.

Advertisement