Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

• 14-02-2022 10:17am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10507853/Christian-doctor-David-Mackereth-sacked-trans-views-fight-High-Court.html

This will be another interesting case to watch, as the outcome will test the limits of the defence of "religious belief" against conduct that it is claimed violates said beliefs.

In the abstract, it's a bit like the Asher's 'gay cake' case in that person X refused to do Y citing religious beliefs, even though there was a cost to the dignity/humanity of person Z. The Kim Davis case in America is also loosely the same. Essentially: "I believe that you should not live this way; this makes my belief the State's belief".

I am wondering where you see this going? Kim was ultimately jailed for refusing to issue marriage licences as she claimed it violated her Christianity. Could we end up seeing doctors disciplined/fined/jailed for refusing to use the pronouns of trans people? It might sound like a silly question now, but there has been an "explosion of patients identifying as transgender" so laws on this are going to be created sooner or later, inevitably resulting in people refusing to obey said laws on the grounds of "sincerely-held religious belief".

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement