Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, getting mixed up with the 10GB data add-on prizes in the Vodafone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Anyone else having problems with this when Roaming in the UK? I'm in NI and all connectivity seems to have been shut down about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Lyca much better - bit of a chore getting ported but works perfectly in NI (and you get dolled out a UK IP address too when roaming)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

48 is a nightmare aboard and doesn't work 99% of the time regardless where you are in Europe unless you manually configure the apn settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

I was in Spain a few days ago.I got 3G on occasion.

Comreg are toothless in general.They can issue small fines(relative to the worth of networks)or shame them into acting,haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Am having issues where if someone is trying to ring me, they get the engaged tone. On my phone it doesn't appear as if anything is wrong. I think texts are also having the odd issue. These issues are very intermittent from what I can gather. Anyone else having similar issues on 48? Bear in mind, it could well be my phone too.

No issue here but that's 7 hours ago.Call divert turned on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If it's been that way with certain numbers since you moved to 48 you'll need to contact them and tell them the numbers as they probably have to update the call routing table. It's meant to be done when porting but can get messed up and will leave certain networks still thinking you are on your previous network meaning when they call/text it fails. Happened to me, raised a ticket and they had it sorted in about 2 days. They never got back to me to confirm they had fixed it but the numbers I was having issues with could contact me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Heading to Madrid at the weekend, what would be the cheapest sim with data to get? Don't wanna risk having no coverage or data with 48

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

Get a Vodafone SIM and buy the 5GB /€5/28day data bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yeah Vodafone SIM is the best option, even better if you have a phone with an eSIM as you can get it up and running straight away and keep your current SIM active.

I’m keeping a Vodafone eSIM running for travel at the moment. Will decide when things get fully back to normal whether it’s worth changing from 48 or not.

Vf esims are having issues during setup at the moment. Reports of people having to go to stores to activate esims and staff in stores being confused.

Dont leave it until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

I'm thinking of doing the same for a trip abroad soon. I have a dual SIM phone so no problem there but is it possible to use WhatsApp for my 48 number if I'm on a data connection for the Vodafone SIM? Or am I stuck using WhatsApp for the Vodafone number only?

No, you can keep using WhatsApp with your 48 number.

If you really wanted to, you could install a second instance of WhatsApp on your phone to use with your Vodafone number but it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Sorry if it has been explained already, but I how can I get the 5GB /€5/28day plan? The cheapest plan I see is for €20:

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Top up by 5e and buy add on via SMS:

Text 5DATA to 50233

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html/

Post edited by Ten Pin on

Signup for any plan but topup less than the plan requirement. So signup for €20 plan and topup €10.

Then just buy addon using your €10 credit. Any other usage (calls / sms) will come out of your remaining credit then.

I topup using

https://topup.vodafone.ie/VodafoneIEExternalWeb/enter.do and buy the addon using the vf app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Thanks to the person who recommended getting a vodafone sim while abroad, was in Madrid and had no data with 48, calls worked fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

The only major downside of 48 for me is roaming. Returned from London last week, could have connected only to O2-UK and to 3G or EDGE, no 4G whatsoever. Also not a single other network allowed to connect with this sim card.. Same while travelling to Slovakia - 4 networks in the country, but allowed to connect to O2-SK only and maximum was 3G which is quite limited with coverage - their 4G coverage is triple now to 3G. Czech Republic or Germany shut 3G networks completely so can imagine you would be stuck there on 2G. Does anyone know if the new EU regulation will force them to allow access to 4G networks while roaming? Probably wouldn't affect UK as they quit EU and they would still offer only 3G even in Northern Ireland while in France they will be 'forced' to provide 4G roaming. I have this deal since summer 2020 and I like the service in the Ireland, but anywhere else in UK/EU is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

How many days do you get for a membership? I only got 27,thought it was 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Well after 14 months on 48 - with 11 free thanks to recommendations - I've given up the ghost. I was using a 5 euro Virgin sim for data and roaming but I took the jump and got the Samsung A52s 5g and all inclusive Eir 5g plan for 15 euro per month (no contract). 48 is grand for calls/text/social media but forget about quick reliable downloads or roaming.

You get a month so it depends on what month it is when you buy your membership.

Buy a membership in February and you get 28 full days (plus the rest of the day that you buy it on).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

apologies if this is in the wrong section but is anyone else having issues with sending/receiving texts with 48 at the moment?

haven't been able to send/receive texts to a work colleague (vodafone) for the last few days, it says the texts are sent but he's not getting them and vice versa. texts to other networks seem to be fine, very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Been on to their chat several times. SMS has been down since last Thursday/Friday. Can't get 2FA texts from banks etc. Amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

The SMS issue is affecting Tesco Mobile as well, who share the same underlying MVNO infrastructure (Liffey Telecom).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

thanks for the info lads.

what networks are affected with the SMS issue?

3 and eir seem to be working ok for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

It's a shitshow at the minute.

Also, we can't even leave 48 as porting your number requires...yes, a verification text!

Stuck with them while they try to fix this massive issue. Really highlights their awful communication and support.

Advertisement