Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's really going on with the recent Joe Rogan controversy?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Brand is just another corrupt cultural parasite. He goes on and on about poverty but, last time I checked, he had a multi million dollar home in Malibu, was driven around by chauffeur and was flogging his book for nearly £20 on Amazon. He had Ed Miliband on his "Trews" show in 2015 and then, when Labour lost he acted as if it never happened. Taking a side, with all of its flaws requires courage. Brand, Rogan & Co prefer to snipe from the sidelines while they grift.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zerone

Ah ok, so not being poor (even, God forbid, wealthy) should disqualify you from speaking out on behalf of the poor? That's the point you've just made, right?

His last research around mRNA vaccines was like 30 years ago. He's claiming safety and effectiveness concerns around the current vaccines. Can you point to some peer reviewed research that supports his claims? Malone doesn't have any research to point to. 😊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

"He goes on and on about poverty but, last time I checked, he had a multi million dollar home in Malibu..." so what was your point about him going on about poverty then? What am I getting wrong about your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol. This old crap about him inventing MRNA. He didnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You know full well what you're getting wrong since you disingenuously misrepresented it above.

H. H. Asquith

• The Joe Rogan Experience has enormous reach. It trounces all the traditional media**, whether that be news or entertainment (late night talk shows), and with such a platform comes a degree of responsibility.

Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News is the show when it comes to viewing figures and Rogan obliterates even his viewing figures.

Unfortunately "just having a conversation" is no longer a reasonable justification. Joe Rogan allows guests to spread objectively false information with zero pushback.

In one of his podcasts about a month ago, with Josh Szeps on the topic of COVID vaccines and Myocarditis, Rogan pushed back far more than he has with his far-right guests. Rogan was proven to be wrong, and even when he was proven wrong, he tried to wiggle his way out of it.

Rogan is more than capable of questioning things when it suits him.

**in the western world, at least.

Like how you disingenuously misrepresented Brand as a 'grifter'?

• Advertisement

I agree with the sentiment of this 100% i.e. with great power (listeners) comes great responsibility. He should be critiqued and open to criticism like anyone. And he should listen to and learn from that criticism and try to do and be better, like anyone else. But I do question the 'disinformation' angle many people seem to take i.e. he knows something to be false but he peddles the untruths anyway knowing it will benefit him in some way. And some are also we're pretending that if they went from relative obscurity to outperforming MSM viewer/listener figures we'd somehow have managed this journey flawlessly. I think anyone who finds themselves in such a position deserves a little slack.

What I don't get is the hysterical calls to de-platform him. If we de-platformed everyone who got things wrong, was ignorant, naive, tunnel visioned on a topic we wouldn't have a MSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In one of his podcasts about a month ago, with Josh Szeps on the topic of COVID vaccines and Myocarditis, Rogan pushed back far more than he has with his far-right guests. Rogan was proven to be wrong, and even when he was proven wrong, he tried to wiggle his way out of it.

Fair play to that lad for putting him in his box.

But 2 former reality tv presenters discussing medical science. Peak internet. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whats the craic with the young lads going into meltdown over this, joe does some great interviews, but he does interview some of the biggest arseholes on the planet at times, and talks absolute sh1te at times also, hes not all knowing folks, he really isnt.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

I actually heard that Josh Szeps podcast. i think I listened to it after seeing new stories about how Josh Szeps had a "fiery clash", and how he "annihilated" Rogan.

ABC and Huffpost Live host Josh Szeps clashes with Joe Rogan over Covid vaccine | Daily Mail Online

Joe Rogan Gets Annihilated By Aussie Journalist Josh Szeps (junkee.com)

Watch Joe Rogan’s Vaccine Misinfo Get Destroyed by His Own Guest (futurism.com)

But, having heard Szeps on other podcasts, this didn't sound quite right. So I listened to it, and of course , it was not quite the conflagration the headlines made it out to be. It was essential a genial long-form chat, with some debate. My impression was that Rogan was learning in real-time that he was wrong about the point he raised about whether COVID or vaccines made myocarditis worse in young males. Once the fact-check was done, he didn't argue to point anymore, but just seems to be surprised, and then accepting he was wrong.

You could argue its regular old media who need to exagerate hatreds and divisions to generate more clicks for themselves.

Szeps himself noted the disparity in the coverage of the podcast, versus what actually happened: My Joe Rogan Experience (theaustralian.com.au)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

! Have only listened to him once. Know little about the guy.

one thing that I did like was that he is himself.

noah used to be funny, now he has changed to a corporate entity, he has lost his funniness and spark.

if rogan doesn’t loose that (not that I know enough about him) then good luck to him.

following the corporate line is not how rogan got there. Noah following the corporate line has destroyed a talented individual.

• Look, I'm a "far left radical" that actually likes Joe Rogan and certainly don't want him 'cancelled' but he quite clearly has his blind spots.

Joe Rogan, in his discussion with Szeps, tried to wiggle his way out of his initial claims.

Joe Rogan has even admitted and owned this. He's not going to cut you a % of his cheque for trying to defend him.

Admit he was wrong and move on.

Listening to him right now interviewing Dave Smith. Smith is going off on one about the war in Yemen.

Great listening. Like others I pick and choose which ones to listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Did you listen to the podcast?

My opinion is Joe ain't perfect but neither is every research paper that's printed.

The covid vaccine is only out a year or so, what can anybody possibly no what the long term effects are from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭maik3n

I think when Jordan Peterson disappeared off the face of the earth following his mental health/addiction struggles, they were very much adrift and looking everywhere for a new messiah.

They seemed to have found it in Joe Rogan.

• Advertisement

Research papers are subject to rigour. Rogan and his guests spread disinformation at will unchecked. There's a world of difference.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why doesn't he get an actual immunologist on to explain it to him?

Like this guy.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1489564850917453826

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I said similar on the podcast forum, but Joe's issue with balance is that if 99% of scientists believe something and he has 5 guests from the 1% and 5 guests from the 99%, that's not balance. And even then he seems more likely to have more from the 1% on specifically because they go against the mainstream view.

But the danger also isn't that people listen to Joe Rogan's advice on vaccines, it's that they take Joe Rogan's guest's advice on vaccines, where those guests are being promoted by Joe as being experts.

Yep, if Malone feels like there's flaws in existing research, he's free to use the review process to challenge it. Meanwhile him going on a podcast to make claims indicates he isn't remotely confident he can prove any of them cause if he was, he'd use the process. @tommybrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

You might have a blind spot yourself! 😀 "Admit he was wrong and move on" ?

I clearly stated in my post that Joe Rogan was wrong on the point of myocarditis and vaccines in young males.

So, ???

Listening back, it does seem like Joe was struggling to accept it initially, asking about the sources etc. Sure. But my view on it would still be that he was realizing in real-time that he was wrong. In his statements after he admitted he was wrong also. Better that he accepted he was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rogan ought to have a panel of related experts on if doing anything overly controversial that can pipe up if necessary and correct in real time. A non expert interviewing an expert has its flaws

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

He was wrong about something so he should be silenced and nobody should ever listen to anything he ever has to say again, apology or not. Different rule for CNN and their 'horse dewormer' lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think I'll actually listen to that one. Rhonda Patrick knows her stuff, but can be hard to keep up with!

RTE or other media outlets don't do the same?? It's upto the person to decide for themselves What to believe.

What disinformation was spread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

was Peterson in trouble with his head, was unaware of that, been meaning to check him out, but the more i hear about him, the less interested i am in him?

Advertisement