Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin wants to ban single sex schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is usually the most common reason given for why people prefer same sex schools and it's certainly one of the main reasons the church who were responsible for such institutions decided to segregate based on gender. It's old fashioned and it doesn't even make sense. The world is not segregated by gender and schools are meant to prepare children from the world, segregating them for a representative of 50% of the population makes no sense. It's also massively unfair on the children, flirting and getting distracted by the opposite sex is part of the experience and removing the opposite sex isn't going to act as some form of hormone blocker. I don't think an outright ban is necessary but we should be doing more to decrease the number of same sex schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

You haven't given any reasons in your post why public schools should be mixed, you've just said they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Starfire20

A previous poster talked about how more recent studies have shown that co-ed schools produce better results and more socially-rounded individuals.

thats good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He also wants to reduce the age when someone can legally change their gender,

He seems to working his way down the list of woke agendas .

What harm is same sex schools causing

i guess everything the right doesn't like is woke now?

and please don't conflate sex and gender as the same thing, cause they're not.

• Advertisement

It's old fashioned and it doesn't even make sense.

Except it does.

Do a google search on single-sex schools outperforming co-ed schools, and you'll find a rake of research papers talking about it. It comes down to the differences in boys/girls learning styles, but also that single-sex schools tend to hire teachers to match their students gender. Male teachers being able to understand the needs of boy students and female students meeting the needs of girl students. That's not to say that female teachers can't teach male students (and vice versa), but typically, there is a greater connection between students and teachers where the gender matches, and that results in better learning outcomes for the students. If a teacher is a crap teacher, that isn't going to help, but with teachers who care about their students, often a male teacher with a male student can form a better connection, than that of a female teacher.

There are heaps of reasons listed as to why single-sex schools typically outperform co-ed schools, and that's been shown in research in many countries from S. Korea through to the US.

The purpose of school is to learn effectively, not to mingle with the opposite gender, and in fact, you'll find that many students have very limited contact with the opposite gender in co-ed schools, simply due to the dynamics of childrens development, and the fears many of them have. In any case, in any kind of populated area with a variety of single-sex schools, students get to meet each other after school, or through a range of activities organised by the schools themselves. I went to a single-sex school, and that didn't stop me from meeting girls after school. My secondary school was mixed, and quite honestly, my interactions with girls was limited, due to the circles of friendships that formed, and simply that the two genders tend to gravitate towards those of their own gender to form groups.

Posters here seem dedicated to ignore the simple fact that single-sex schools are better for the students in terms of learning... and it's questionable just how much interaction that most boys/girls have with each other in such schools, and whether they won't get the same from extra-curricular activities.

Just something about the right......

Didn't mention the right but hey !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I mean, others have posted ad nauseam as to why they should be so I didn't think it was needed, but fine:

Allowing more varied subject choices, developing a healthier ability to interact with the opposite sex, less doubling up of resources/teachers etc in smaller towns (most likely but this would depend on specific locations I'll admit, but in general), lessening stereotype of certain subjects being 'gendered'........

That's just to name a few, I'm sure there are many more others. I can't honestly think of any reasons to continue with single sex schools apart from that's just the way things currently are. And that's not really a good enough reason

• Advertisement

yeah, it's typically conservative people, whether that's socially conservative or fiscally, that complain about any change in society.

But if people want to send their childrens to a same sex schools then they have to be accommodated ,?

Will the same be applied to religious ethos schools ?

I suspect you can't be bothered to think about it at all. I can think of dozens of reasons immediately off the top of my head. I could do the same for co-ed schools.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Unlike the woken who only think the world should only be viewed based off their opinions only

surely religious indoctrination can be done outside of school hours or by the parents themselves if it's that important ?

personally, i think schools should not have any religion pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I believe it will be because people who feel aggrieved at their standing or current status in life for some reason or another will be easily manipulated by those with an agenda to punch down at a supposed enemy instead of considering what they could do to help themselves in whatever way possible.

Being conservative doesn't exclude you from supporting social change. The difference is that conservatives typically want to see some sound planning, research, and want to know the consequences involved in such a change. Non-conservatives are very quick to make changes, and assume "ahh sure, it'll be grand". The complaining that occurs is because often, change is implemented based on feelings rather than sound logic.

I'm generally quite a conservative person in my views, although as with most people, it's the issue itself that concerns me, rather than a label to categorise all my interests and concerns.

As with most things related to people, there's all manner of conservatives... they're not a one-fit group. Which is natural as people tend to become conservative as they age, and while they might have been progressive or other in their early years, their experience tempers the movements they're willing to support later in life.

conservatism, by definition, is the status quo. Its about preserving what 'is'.

hence my previous comments.

It's a rather simplistic approach to such a concept.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ya, well you clearly don't understand woke, so not surprising you and Alan are not on the same side.

• Advertisement

No, I just don't really see any advantages but please feel free to share and I'll see if I agree

Id suggest laying off the passive aggressive judgement though

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can see the benefits of it to fair.

Let's face it we all do know

Fellas who could have done with experience around woman growing up.

Also, women who could have done with the experience around men growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd prefer to see a return of Technical schools. Too many boys and girls with no interest in mainstream education are being shoved down the 'must go to college route'. There is a great need to give our youth more options imo.

As is your approach that only conservatives base their decisions on facts etc and that anyone else would base such things on feelings alone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully he will be banned after the next election along with the rest of the Labour Party.

Went to an all boys school next to an all-girls school and just wondering how it would work to merge them. Which board would be dissolved? Which one would teachers now work for? Would teachers teach across both sites and students go from building to building (there's the guts of an hour a day wasted)? Would they be split by age/year instead of gender? Will the teachers who move school just do so without any complaint whatsoever?

Just smacks of looking for a problem to campaign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

essentially we’re lifting a ban by advocating for mixed schools

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Why are people saying that there is no woke agenda here????  Ó Ríordáin is the one who has thrown the kitchen sink of woke buzzwords like toxic masculinity and white male privilege when he has talked about this issue on the media, he's even thrown in the Belfast rape trial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Advertisement