Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin wants to ban single sex schools

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Utter nonsense. No issues with single sex and mixed schools. People need to leave sh1t the fcuk alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hardly bizarre…

I attended single sex schooling all the way through schooling. Never felt bizarre, and even now nothing bizarre about it.

people are just thinking too much

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If it meant that’s what had to be done in terms of providing the best education for my child, then a four hour commute wouldn’t be unreasonable. Whether someone else is of the opinion that it’s cruel in the extreme is another matter entirely for themselves. There are plenty of things which people claim are cruel in the extreme by way of humiliating people into complying with what they believe is in the interests of children who aren’t theirs, but I would still suggest parents and guardians should do what they believe is in their own children’s best interests.

If that involves a four hour commute because they don’t believe the local schools are their best option for their children’s education, then crack on. The same decisions would have to be made even when schools are available in every neighbourhood and the type and standard of education they want for their children is provided in another neighbourhood two hours away. There won’t ever be a situation where exactly the same type of schools are available in every neighbourhood as parents will for one reason or another have their own ideas about how they wish for their children to be educated.

I wouldn’t want to send my child to an inclusive local school for all for one thing, apart from any other considerations. If that’s what other parents believe is in their children’s best interests though, that’s entirely up to them too. I know the school I choose to send my child to, isn’t everyone else’s idea of how they wish for their children to be educated. I don’t mind supporting local schools financially at least when they’re doing fundraising, but I still wouldn’t send my own child to one because I don’t believe it would be in his best interests.

Demanding that all schools should be of an equally high standard and should tick all the boxes for every parent or guardian and should be local schools is a laudable goal, but it’s neither feasible nor viable, and certainly not sustainable. It’s why there exists already a two-tier standard in Irish education for schools, based upon socioeconomic status -

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9679f-ministers-foley-and-madigan-announce-details-of-92-billion-education-funding-in-budget-2022-including-measures-to-tackle-disadvantage-and-support-children-with-special-educational-needs/

Advertisement