Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Vaxxer arrested over death of Donegal COVID patient

• 07-02-2022 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anti-vaccination activist Antonio Mureddu has been arrested by gardaí in Co Donegal.

It is understood the arrest relates to an incident at Letterkenny University Hospital when a seriously ill Covid-19 patient was assisted in leaving the hospital on September 14th last.

The man, 68-year-old Joe McCarron, died a couple of days later in the hospital after he had been returned there by his family.

A video of the incident shows Mureddu telling doctors and security officers that he is helping Mr McCarron to leave the hospital.

Doctors are filmed pleading with Mr McCarron not to leave hospital advising him that he is very ill with Covid.

Mureddu appeared on Monday at Letterkenny District Court where he was facing road traffic charges.

However, directly after the brief appearance the 44 year old, an Italian national, was arrested by gardaí within the lobby of the court.

Having been approached by a number of both uniformed and plain-clothes gardaí, he was taken away for questioning at Letterkenny Garda station.

Poor man.

What is wrong with these people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I’d nearly bet he was citing maritime law with his traffic offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anti-vaxxers (as distinct from the vaccine hesitant) are scum. They're happy to spread their poison, knowing full well it will cost other people's lives. I hope he gets prison. He deserves it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I wish the whole judiciary spent more time prosecuting actual crimes, instead of merely opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Is he related to the deceased? I'm curious about how this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Delighted!! Hopefully a nice long sentence too for this dirty little fascist scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the guy, they are all the same

"I'm the master, you're the servant"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Exactly, the poor man is dead due to this utterly stupid fool.

Hopefully this eejit gets a few years behind bars.

But he'll probably play the mental health card - in reality he is just phenomenally stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭paul71

Hopefully a fully served 7 year sentence for wreckless endangerment followed by deportation back to Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The newspaper report is careful to say that Mureddu's arrest "relates to an incident at Letterkenny University Hospital" when McCarron was "assisted in leaving".

It doesn't say that the incident was the provision of assistance to leave. It could have been something that happened at the same time - a trespass offence, an offence involving abuse of the staff, something of that kind. Or, of course, it could be the assistance to leave. We'll have to wait and see what charge, if any, is brought.

If the charge is to be in relation to the assistance to leave, there has been speculation that the charge will be endangerment. But I see a problem here. The offence involves engaging in "conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another". But McCarron was already at substantial risk of death; his doctor can be heard telling him exactly this in the video. Murredu's conduct may have intensified McCarron's risk of dying of Covid, but it doesn't seem to me that it created that risk. I think a prosecution for endangerment may fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Its about time these morons realised there is consequences for their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I disagree. taking him out of the hospital creates a new risk of death or serious injury due a lack of a required medical treatment. the risk of dying due to a lack of medical treatment did not exist while he was in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Late last year Mureddu appeared in court on multiple driving offence, without a mask but wearing a “floor length purple cloak”. He then attempted Freeman of the Land type nonsense to get off the charges.

Sounds about right....absolute looper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Whilst the man seems like an absolute looper, none of the above fcuked up revenge fantasies are going to happen. If the patient, Mr McCarron, was of sound mind, which it seems from the videos where he states he wants to leave the hospital, then there is absolutely nothing that Mureddu can be charged with. The hospital has no right to detain anyone, unless they are not of sound mind, and need to be detained for their own safety. This does not seem to be the case here.

Posturing to try to stop it from happening again perhaps? Or as someone said above maybe a minor trespass charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Dunno how the Gardai manage to keep their temper dealing with bell ends like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭paul71

A bell end like this hounded a member of the force into suicide not so long ago by means of concerted social media harassment that lasted more than a year.

Interestingly the "lady" responsible for that had much the same views as this despicable creature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,337 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it’s not his opinions he’s been questioned over now is it ? It’s over his actions in convincing a very ill man to leave hospital and then he died days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,563 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Released without charge.

Kicked up to the DPP to make the decision.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Well, we'll see. But, bear in mind that, as a penal provision, this will be restrictively interpreted by the courts. If the Oireachtas wants to criminalise conduct they have to do so in the clearest terms, and any ambiguity will resolved in the defendant's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

I would suspect if you made that awful "I'm the master. You're the servant"' comment to the Carabinieri (Italian gendarmerie police force) you would be getting a lot more than a polite response and being let drive off. I also doubt it's something many people would dare try!

The ill man made the decision to leave the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure, but consent isn't always that simple. People can be coerced or deceived into making decisions. The fact that they made decision doesn't mean the other person is necessarily scott free.

Any road, it's pretty clear that while the dead man was a complete simpleton, he was also deeply involved in this freeman nonsense over the last several years, so it's unlikely the other fruit loop came into the hospital and randomly convinced him to leave. He was most likely intending on leaving but just wanted some support.

I can't see any coercion or deception in the videos. As you say the patient wanted to leave the hospital, the defendant seems to have been there at the invite of the patient who wanted to leave, as was his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He's friendly with Dolores Cahill and previously with Gemma O'Doherty though Gemma now claims he is a state agent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Just to play Devil's Advocate...............Supposing a taxi driver and not Mureddu had collected Joe McCarron from hospital, I wonder would the taxi driver have been arrested?

I notice Mureddu hasn't been charged with anything in relation to this. If Joe McCarron was of sound mind, then I can't see any crime being committed.

• Advertisement

You can detain somebody with multidrug resistant TB against their will under public health legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He should be sent to jail for his facial hair alone.

Horrible human anyway, and this just proves it. Hopefully they throw away the key, he has know connections to racists in Italy as well, so fück him.

Did Mr McCarron have multidrug resistant TB? Or is the above just pointless pedantry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I notice Mureddu hasn't been charged with anything in relation to this.

Yet. File has been sent to the DPP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What can he be charged with regarding the hospital video?

The management of nursing home's early in the pandemic, & refusal to implement antigen testing for care home workers (like the rest of the globe did) would have caused many death's in Ireland.

Will those responsible be investigated and charged accordingly?

Because they chap with the goatee won't effect or influence 99.9% of people in Ireland, but those making decisions effect everyone.

We have a habit of following the balls thrown by the media, which in the grand scheme of things are isolated incidents in one of the world's most vaccinated nations

In your example is the taxi driver continually imploring Joe to leave and telling him the doctors and hospital is going to kill him if he stays?

• Advertisement

You said someone can't be detained if they are of sound mind. That was proven false by the poster with their example. I'm not sure you comprehended that.

The someone in this case was Mr McCarron. Perhaps you know that he has multidrug resistant TB?

• They shouldn't tbh. A few belts people like this need.

Murders are isolated incidents. That's not a reason for not prosecuting when they do occur.

I'm not saying that Murredu murdered McCarron, or anything like that. Just that the rightness or wrongness, legality or illegality, of what he did does not depend at all on how often incidents like this occur. Saying that this is an "isolated incident" is no help at all to Murredu.

Nor does the legality of his acts depend on "the management of nursing homes early in the pandemic" or the other factors you mention. It may not be your intention, but bringing them up in this context looks like an attempt to distract from the subject of the thread, which is Murredu's involvement with the death of McCarron, and whether there is any legal accountability for it.

Your initial question ("What can he be charged with regarding the hospital video?") is the right question to ask, even though none of the other points you mention are relevant to that question. There is speculation about a charge of endangerment contrary to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997 s. 13; for reasons given earlier in the thread I am not confident that a charge would be successful, but I could be wrong.

It's also possible that the enquiry will focus on more than is just disclosed in the video, and on the involvement of people other than Murredu. Reportedly, after McCarron was taken home he was given medical treatment in line with the beliefs of the people involved, which included the administration of Ivermectin. There will be questions to be asked about whether this treatment, or the withholding of conventional treatment, contributed to his death; whether the Ivermectin was supplied without prescription; and whether there are any infringements of the law here. One possible outcome is that there will be charges, but not charges directly related to McCarron's death.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Is the taxi driver getting his mate Dolores Cahill involved?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Hes comedy gold in a way though. He demanded 50 grand off the Gardai who arrested him in Galway.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, they won't as at that time antigen testing was unreliable.

therefore had they implemented something unreliable they may have caused further issues.

for the rest of the bad management, unless it can be shown that the management was with the intent to cause death or injury then realistically there is probably nothing they could be charged with.

in relation to the hospital video, the anti-vaxer nut engaged in radicalisation with the intent of causing the individual to refuse treatment with the intent to instigate a particular outcome whatever that outcome was, but with the knowledge that the individual could die by not receiving that treatment.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's not the judiciary's role to prosecute cases nor should it ever be.... So no, you will never get your wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Yer man Mureddu is a pure head the ball and I know the difference for sure. But while I disagree with what Mureddu did, I'm not sure it was against the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Another agitator that has **** all better to do with himself. A loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

I think you're correct. The poor man was either of sound mind or unsound mind.

If he was of unsound mind the doctors could have made an application to detain him under the mental health act or seek an emergency High Court Order (impractical ).. They didn't so presumably they felt he was of sound mind, in which case the docs could only plead with him to stay. People of sound mind don't have to receive treatment if they don't want to. Assisting someone to leave in those circumstances isn't a crime.

If however, the defendant was giving the poor man false information and actively persuading him to leave against the doctors advice, then he might have got charged with manslaughter. They'll have to prove his actions were grossly negligent and led directly to the mans death. Will be difficult to prove but the judge will be taking into account the patients age, vulnerability and his reliance on the advice of the defendant. He should have to answer for his actions in any event and its good he's being charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

In your example, is the taxi driver the Italian King of Dogshite?

• Advertisement
Advertisement