Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think you're underestimated the stupidity of the general population, especially in America. A huge amount think the election was stolen from Trump. A huge amount think the covid vaccine was designed to kill people. Literally people crying when a family member gets it because they think they'll be dead in 2 years. People are idiots, and the internet can amplify that when they gather together in bubbles and reinforced their beliefs.

Joe knew exactly what he was doing when he "threw the kitchen sink" at covid. Throw the idiots a bone who think ivermectin cured him. He knows there's money in courting these idiots so keeps them inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

"People are idiots" is nothing new. Adults have a responsibility to look after themselves alone. Nobody should have the right to hijack the information they have access to, even under the guise of "knowing what's best" for them. The arrogance of the "cancel Rogan" people is staggering to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes. You are on to me. I love bad medical advice!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

• Advertisement

Again, you're missing the entire point about free speech. David Hogg said it nicely here and in the follow up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So we're agreed that I haven't called for censorship?

Surely you'll see the irony of telling me my viewpoint is based in a fabrication and in the very next sentence fabricating and assigning a position on me. But, you're right, I'm fierce stupid all-together-so-I-am.

Look, none of the Rogan-bros will call the conspiracy theory you linked to, a conspiracy theory. That's how how echo-chambers work. Fair enough, you posted a conspiracy theory in a safe space and some people are cross that its being called a conspiracy theory and not simply back slapping and complimenting the good "research". I'm sure you'd see what's wrong with it if this were a conspiracy theory about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Listened to the HR mcMaster episode. Was somewhat surprised by how good he was.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

There's Telegram and Gab.

I browsed Gab before it went behind a wall. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in there, it was just so boring. Wall to wall "Muslims are paedos" threads and similarly basic threads. Really basic stuff. All route 1 chat and a competition to say the most outrageous things. It would leave you with a really poor Impression of how clever the free speech folk who posted, tended to be.

I was curious about what you'd find in a free speech forum. But really and truly, it was grim and boring.

These free speech platforms are out there if that's what you're Interested in. But I suspect the fact that there's nobody to argue with takes from the appeal. I suspect that the fact that its an audience who won't be offered by it, takes from the appeal. In my opinion, the free speech people really want to watch the fight between the free speech and the offended. If nobody is offended the it loses its appeal for most of the anti-woke warriors.

Isn't that unintentionally a good thing? All they want is to be left alone in their little cesspit. Grim and boring is all those people want and it's not harming anyone. But to hear the way some people portray it there will be concentration camps if such sites are allowed to exist for too long.

• Advertisement

Depends. They should be left alone in their safe spaces. But that's pretty much where that stuff should be left.

If you listen to the anti-woke, you'd think here will be concentration camps if those grim creatures aren't allowed to say whatever they want, anywhere they want.

Niche corners of the Internet are one thing. I wouldn't say they don't harm anyone. Listening to some podcasts about school shooters, and they get radicalised in these forums. But, its better than that guff being mainstream.

Doesn't that depend on what "Accountability" covers? If "Accountability" includes de-platforming, then that is not free speech.

I think of Speakers Corner in Hyde Park in London as being the great symbol of free speech. Every nutter can stand on a box and spout off about any old nonsense they want to. It's mostly nonsense but there is something pure and beautiful about the way anyone can say anything, of course as long as they don't incite violence or break the law (can't believe I have to add that last but some people are disingenuous and pedantic).

The thing is the vast majority of people have good intentions. I genuinely think people can be trusted to find the right course which involves rejection of extreme opinions. But some people don't trust the masses, they fear the masses and want to control the access to public discourse. They see Hitler under every rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Been listening to the JR podcast the last couple of weeks. Really enjoying listening to relaxed conversation which can ebb and flow in any direction. I've made the conscious decision to switch off from main stream media. In Irish terms, thats RTE, Virgin media, radio stations such as Newstalk,( which have become insufferable over the past few years), Today FM, and of course rte radio. I'm much more relaxed, don't feel the sense of frustration at the outrage being forced on me around every possible topic.

The whole circus of government in Ireland and the neverending drive by the Media to enrage everyone for the sole purpose of generating revenue is pathetic. The issues in Ireland, housing, health, standard of living are beyond repair and they know it. The country has gone down a rabbit hole the last decade, and squeezing the last drops out of it seem to be the only game in town. Rant over, back to the podcast.!

What is "deplatforming"? People saying they won't use a product as long as Rogan is there? People asking spotify to remove them? That is free speech too. Spotify can act how they like too. They're "free" to remove him if they like.

Speakers Corner is indeed amazing at times. I remember watching this 1+ hour documentation about one guy who speaks there. And as I recall I had my mouth hanging oven from only 60 seconds in and my eye brows raised to the back of my head for most of the rest of it:

youtube.com/watch?v=oJclZes9hxA

And yet despite this guy spouting some of the most hateful racism I have ever heard - as you say there is a strange beauty about that level of free speech all the same.

Interestingly I think Rogan himself is quite triggered by free speech issues. In a good way. There are a couple of guests he has on - including the two that caused the Covid Controversies - that he probably would not have even heard of or had on were it not for the bigger social platforms banning them. Had Malone not been banned and silenced for example - I wonder would he have been invited on at all.

But what Rogan appears to say before during and since that interview - is that it does not matter how right or wrong someone like Malone is in his claims. The fact that someone that qualified to speak on the issue could be silenced for doing so is obscene to him. Rogan often cites the same line Sam Harris does which is that the antidote to bad science or bad conversation - is more and better science and conversation. And right or wrong in what he says Malone has more than earned the right to have his position heard. But it is attacked under this new rubric of "dangerous to public health".

Sam Harris has often done the same thing too. Perhaps having learned more about the guests thoughts and ideas he later regretted some of them. But at the time he has had guests on and platformed them for no other reason than he saw it as a free speech issue. Having Charles Murray on his podcast is the obvious example that jumps to mind. But Harris' reasoning behind inviting him on that podcast are very sensible and thought out.

Nothing in life is without cost including freedom of speech, but the level of "accountability" in todays Metaverse comes down to whether someone has the "right" politics on is considered on the right team.

People who are being honest with themselves know that what's happening to JR right now is not about his use of the n-word. We know this because those clips have been around for years, in some cases over a decade which predates his Spotify deal. The reason they are being used against him now is because they can be, JR is directly over the target right now. In having and a handful vaccine and Covid sceptics on his podcast, JR has driven the public health and the media establishment crazy, both of whom are fearful and furious. In the case of public health officials, they staked their political careers and medical reputations on vaccines that have provably failed to do what they were originally advertised, and in the case of the media establishment they are haemorrhaging audiences to JR and other independent outlets like Substack and Rumble.

Yes sure and criminals in prison are free to sleep or not sleep depending on when they want to. They are free to eat meals or not eat meals depending on their preferences. It's quite simple. Free speech means allowing people to say things you don't like, without trying to co-ordinate campaigns designed to ultimately silence them. If you are trying to get someone's opinions shut down even though they are not breaking a law, that is not free speech.

Ok, you're wrong here, again, freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence. You don't know what free speech is.

Have you checked the icu numbers? The vaccines seem to be doing a good job.

• Advertisement

But if the "consequence" involves trying to shut somebody up, then they do NOT have free speech. I think you are the one who is being wilfully ignorant here. Another poster put up a great example earlier of what free speech really is.

Jewish commentator Gad Saad said, he would defend the right of someone to deny the holocaust ever took place. As reprehensible as that idea might be, his right to say it means he can be challenged with better information.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

Now this is what freedom of consequence should mean - more speech, not less.

Vaccines were not sold to us on the basis of ICU numbers, we were originally told vaccines were they way out of this pandemic and that the vaccines would prevent death and transmission. Either way, that's a different discussion and will probably go off the rails very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I don’t even want to imagine the toxic prejudice and conspiracy theories that are given voice in such corners. But I dispute that it’s better that they are in their own echo chamber rather than being challenged in the mainstream. This Rogan controversy is an example. If he were hosted by some libertarian service, it’s highly likely he would not have apologised and committed to doing better.

I know that. Antibiotics are also used in animals but we don't refer to them as bacterial treatments for animals.

Of course most people are grand. I don't expect a lot of people, or a high percentage, to be radicalised by that kind of thing. I was just disagreeing that those kinds of places (the likes of Gab and Telegram) are harmless.

RTE, BBC, CNN, NBC, MSNBC, NYT et al aren't harmless either. Lets not forget that those U.S. and U.K. outlets were cheerleaders for the Iraq invasion on the basis that Saddam Hussein had WMD and was in cahoots with Osama Bin Laden, or the debunked conspiracy theory they repeated ad-nausea for four years that Vladimir Putin was blackmailing Donald Trump via sexual and financial blackmail.

By far the biggest purveyors of disinformation are not Joe Rogan, Gab or Telegram users but the very corporate news outlets who go around sermonising about the dangers of "disinformation" as they spread it constantly. Just look at the blatant and dangerous disinformation -- i.e., lies -- about the pandemic they tell and compare the facts to what they're disseminating over their airwaves.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

There’s so much wrong with this. For one, the media outlets you list do not campaign for anything; they will have published articles on both sides of the Iraq War debate. When politicians across the spectrum supported the war, you can’t expect the media, which mirrors society, to adopt a radically different line.

As for the claim of disinformation - implying intention to mislead - that’s a full-on conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Except if a Holocaust denier can't host videos on YouTube or podcasts on Spotify, that doesn't mean their freedom of speech has been limited. They're still free to express the views but private platforms are also perfectly free to not host them. And that can happen as a result of boycotts etc which people are perfectly entitled to do and is in itself exercising freedom of speech.

Advertisement