Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

Where do you draw the line at outright bigotry? That doesn't sound like freedom to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some religious halfwit on Niall Boylan earlier saying he believes in free speech and people should be able to joke about anything they want, but not the Catholic Church because hes very religious.

I admire the boss of Spotify for standing by Rogan and retaining a sense of perspective.

Too many corporate bosses capitulate at the first whiff of trouble like this. It's refreshing to see someone in power with a spine. Of course he is doing it with financial objectives in mind, but very often people in those positions just fear the controversy and don't even bother looking at it objectively. They just want to make it go away asap and they throw their workers under the bus.

Ultimately it always filters down to the same thing - a number on a piece of paper.

If Spotify was to cancel their contract with JR, not only would they have to eat their $100m but they would lose the largest, hardest-to-reach and most coveted demographic in the media - young men. They would also drive that audience directly into the hands of competitors like Rumble or Substack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I see another comedian Jimmy Carr is on the chopping block now too. It really requires a special idiot to get offended by something a comedian said.

Carr would be one of my favorite and I've been to a number of his shows and each time he has a segment where he purposely says the edgiest joke to gauge the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It seems to me that we are still in this 2 way dichotomy way of thinking with the squeezed sensible middle having to pick their team. I do hope that in time that mid segment will have a voice and get louder. I actually think those people which includes myself are there in great numbers but largely ignored. It seems the old 'sensible' is now regarded as the reactionairy right. I think i still hold the same political views as i have but simply find myself more in agreement with moderate conservatives( if they still exist) who are in fact quite close to old school liberals like Bret Weinstein, Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris. You know, intelligent people who can hold a proper argument and conversation despite the individual differences. In short, people with a backbone.

The JR issue is a bit of a side show but he has given these people space to display their intelligence and i think that is where the opposition is most afraid of, not anything JR has said or done. It is quilty by association. If they can silence JR (which they cant) they might be able to silence those affiliated (which they wont). It is a battle they cant win. Never mind, as long as they can feel good about themselves which is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

More importantly there are legal and liability issues to contend with for "free speech". It doesn't and can't exist without consequence. You're free to racially abuse someone for example, but there are consequences.

Parler is as heavily moderated as anywhere else and regularly bans users they dont like, no reasons need to be given.

may remove any content and terminate your access to the Services at any time and for any reason or no reason

And if Parler get sued for something a user posted (and this is mental), that user is liable aswell.

You agree to defend and indemnify Parler, as well as any of its officers, directors, employees, and agents, from and against any and all claims, actions, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to all attorneys fees) arising from or relating to your access to and use of the Services. Parler will have the right to conduct its own defense, at your expense, in any action or proceeding covered by this indemnity.

Oh and its also full of the thickest people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

We live in an era where we can guess everyone's politics very quickly these days and that 's incredibly boring and indictive of someone who is in an echo chamber , right, left, centre whatever.

I think that's the appeal of Rogan for many is he like so many is generally curious about things and has debates, in most normal households that is exactly what is happening so its easy to relate.

Covid is done for many and everyone has made their mind up one way or other about vaccines, these attacks on Rogan are purely for commercial reasons which makes it all the more annoying and yeah I think his covid opinions are dire.

Yes but it's refreshing that for once the decision involves standing up to woke social media pressure. It might be a cold financial decision but is still bold considering 2 billion was wiped off the company's value a few days ago. That would often cause a lot of CEO's to want to capitulate to minimise what they perceive to be a reputational risk to the company. However this CEO shows there is another way, to actually stand your ground and stand by your principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Toeuptony

Would it not be better to tell the funniest joke to entertain the audience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think the CEO knows this is not an organic witch hunt.

A lot of normal people are right to be angry that Rogan has said some really stupid stuff on covid , but Joe Bloggs and the likes of Neil Young whose heart is in the right place are what are worrying him.

Its obviously a rival to spotify aided by corporate media who are jealous of Rogan's success while their influence falters and from all accounts a super Democrat PAC who are raising a lot of money on the back of this. None of these people care about Rogan's opinion on Covid, they just want his scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ok. What do you think is the funniest joke? What makes you laugh?

Michael McIntyre exists and sells tickets. Roy chubby brown exists and sells tickets. Brendan O'Carroll exists and sells tickets. Dave chapelle exists and sells tickets.

Who is the funniest out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

At a push Chapelle, I prefer his earlier stuff to his more recent stuff, still not a huge fan

I bet you'd be a fan if he was white.....

Bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Toeuptony

Depends on context as to the funniest joke, but it definitely doesn't have to be the edgiest joke. Telling the edgiest joke is just an excuse to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which is similar to the racist comedy of the working man's clubs of the 70s and 80s.

Out of the 4 comedians that you listed, Chapelle is obviously head and shoulders above the rest. His Comedy Central show is amazing, as is a lot of his older stand up. The newer Netflix shows are pale imitations in comparison.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

All back to normal.

Randall Carlson on today talking about early civilisations. Atlantis in particular.

Some of his work regarding Atlantis is based on Plato's writings.

Plato, who essentially scribbled down what Socrates said and sometimes Aristotle (all about 5k years after Atlantis fell head long into the sea) and *only* 2.5k years to now. Their writings are held up by Carlson's thesis to be a pragmatic viewpoint regarding lost civilisations.

And that's the fun.

I didn't listen to the whole episode. I don't listen to many, but this made me laugh and confirm to me why I like the JRE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm not even that big of a fan of the guy but the witch-hunt is getting tiresome, CNN and co want his head. Also, on a similar topic, thought it was ironic the last day when I saw a conservative minister complaining and hinting at cancelling Jimmy Carr for his jokes on gypsies and travellers when her government treats those groups like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The fun for me is that i can both enjoy a JR episode without believing in any of it, even when they ganged up on skeptic Michael Shermer in an episode about ancient civilizations including Joe himself. It was unfair but somehow carried a kind of playfulness at the same time. It is a nice antidote to all the tedious stuff in the media. You dont have to swallow everything but the concept of the show is solid. A 2 hour conversation with Jordan Peterson instead of the bemusing faulty attack on him by channel 4s Cathy Newman which is now a classic example of how NOT to do an interview. The mainstream networks are **** in their pants as do politicians in fear of losing their platform importance.

Some short responses to Joe Rogan's latest "apology" video from his friends Sam Harris and Jocko Willink.

samharris.org/podcasts/making-sense-episodes/273-joe-rogan-and-the-ethics-of-apology

youtube.com/watch?v=6cIbpX_EulQ

Generally a good video from Joe I think in response to the controversy. I disagree with some of it though. This idea that certain words can not be used in "any context" is not an idea I share with him. Especially by particular groups of people. That is just not how I view language and I have yet to see any good argument for viewing or treating language in that way. Shame I will never get the chance to debate him on that one :)

"I can only imagine his kindergarten teachers trying to get him to shut up. He does talk a lot. And he keeps talking. And I will keep listening not because he is perfect, flawless, or right about everything - but actually because he is not. Not perfect, flawless or right about everything. He makes mistakes. He is a person, a human being like me, and like me he is trying to learn, grow and be better. And like me he is failing sometimes along the way." - Jokko

I see spotify have now removed a total of 113 episodes - most of them quite early on. I have not looked for a source to listen to the removed episodes yet. But I will probably make a point of doing just that. Nothing is ever really deleted on the internet after all.

• Advertisement

I think the popularity of Rogan is because you never know what he is going to think or say about a topic. Even Rogan probably doesn't have much of a plan of what he will say. The conversation can be long and rambling and go off on tangents. There is a sense of unpredictability and novelty and a sense that he is trying to figure things out and learn.

By contrast, with the likes of CNN you know exactly what they believe on major issues and you can fairly well predict their editorial stance. Everything is scripted and staged and nothing is approached with a fresh angle of trying to understand an issue from all sides. It's like sticking on a CD. You kind of switch off your brain while they feed you the same predictable message every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whatever about joe , if all his like are banned the alternative is very very bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Welcome to late stage capitalism. Spotifys decisions are purely based on what makes the most money. People love to say "go woke, go broke" but haven't realised why literally every company is doing it. The second spotifys team of accountants, legal team and have worked out he'll lose a dollar more than he'll earn them, he'll be gone.

Personally I'd draw the line at bad medical advice, but a lot of his listeners seem to love it and he's just giving them what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He’s literally just a lad chatting away that became worth something, I’ve had more heated and nonsensical exchanges with local anti vaxers. Joe simply said I have Covid I have money and tried the more expensive treatment available, certainly didn’t inspire me to raid the vets medical cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He also simply said that he'd tell healthy, young people not to get the vaccine.

One of the fallacies people commit is the idea that it's possible to coldly calculate the P&L implications of keeping versus binning Rogan. Any calculation like that requires a lot of subjective assumptions and projections and is extremely unscientific. The decision to keep Rogan is partly financial but a big part of the decision is human judgment.

Secondly, anyone who is stupid enough to rely on Joe Rogan for medical advice deserves to get the consequences. It's called Darwinism. No adult gets to decide what's best for another adult. We don't close down all roads because some idiots blindly walked out into traffic and got run over. The vast majority of people who tune into Rogan would trust their own Doctor first and foremost.

Unless you have an MD or phd in your field then you're not in a position to say is good or bad medical advice either.

• Advertisement

Advertisement