Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This whole cancel culture myth

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From say the Educational sector, I'm aware of students who were punished/thrown off their courses for supporting a traditional viewpoint of Marriage and a school chaplain being fired (and investigated by the Police) for suggesting their is an alternative to accepting Progressive dogma. Hence, I suspect the OP and many of the left don't care about cancel culture until the societal wheel turns and it is their turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jimmy Carr has been doing that schtick for 15+ years, even the joke that he made is from a Netflix special that was released on xmas day. However, its only since yesterday he's getting called out on it as certain people/groups have started running with it. Shows it up for exactly what it is, the rent-a-mob will move on to someone/something else shortly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's so lacking in detail or context that it doesn't even amount to an anecdote. 'supporting a traditional viewpoint of marriage' doesn't tell us anything about why they were purportedly thrown off their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I heard about it yesterday when it said travellers, I assumed it would be an anti Irish slant, but did not actually read the story of what he said, till today. It is getting a lot of coverage.

I would not call the Auschwitz Memorial Group (official Museum) a rent a mob in any way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What was the joke?

Cant find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's in the guardian article about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Boll*x. The same old right wing victim culture silliness regurgitated almost word perfect.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The one place I didnt look. Not that funny, have heard lots of variations of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bollocks indeed, only the right didn't lick it off a stone. If anything they've come late to the party copying for themseves the near constant victimhood spouting of every single other identity politic and ism out there. All of them can be pretty much summed up with [insert identity here] are agentless victims of [insert oppressors here]. This oppressed/oppressor narrative has never been so strong. Where once it was largely restricted to average IQ middle class White women with unfortunate hair holding forth in humanities courses in universities it has come to infect most of public and media discourse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh, sure. I remember a time when feminists moaned about the top grossing female actresses earning less than their male "equivalent" as if there wasn't market forces deciding the worth of entertainers. There was a time when right wing value were based on self empowerment and improvement.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I am old enough when it was the right wingers who were the censorship types. Banning offensive films, music or books if they were deemed corrupting for young God-fearing children.

Back then it was cool to be a Liberal sticking two fingers up at the squares in the establishment.

Amazingly the roles have completely reversed and today i would call myself a conservative in the sense of I want to conserve the free speech and free thought of the 2000's decade. I just want to stay Liberal but the SJW types force my hand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Could you give some reason why Joe Rogan is a grubby little cultural parasite?

Or is it just because he isn't far enough left for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It was a problem when others were doing it, but when it's right wing, it's 'well others were doing it first'....

There's a lot going on in this statement, 'restricted to average IQ middle class White women with unfortunate hair'. You're probably familiar with many of the accusations as to their personal motivation thrown at a certain Barrister qualified recent Lord Mayor of Dublin of Chinese descent while she was in office.

If not, stay tuned, she announced in the last few days she is running for a Seanad seat and I expect the thread devoted to her on here will be active with many of the same views once again in the coming days.

I'd say this type of flipping on positions has led to some people feeling less accepting of him than they were in the past.

Personally, I avoid his show so don't really have a huge amount of skin in the game but is it unfair of people to express an opinion on him when that is evidently (and understandably) something he does about others?

When Joe expresses his opinion he doesn't demand anyone lose their job livelihood or voice.

Why is it young and co. Can't express their opinion on someone without trying to deplatform someone or take their livelihood or voice away?

Even psaki commented on it during the week and said that "more could be done". The same administration who would rightly complain about authoritarian regimes in north Korea and china beginning to in turn sound like it them themselves.

Left or right we should hear all sides of the argument and choose what we like as is our right but we have to let everyone have their voice.

"More can be done" doesn't amount to censorship. It could be anything from maintaining editorial standards or requiring Rogan to have opposing voices in controversial discussions. And they're not making a decision for Spotify regardless.

And people boycotting a service for the types of content they provide is something everyone is entitled to do. It's exercising freedom of speech and expression. Preventing them would be anti free speech.

Yes but why can't the left express their opinions without trying/asking for the opposing side to be deplatformed?

Isn't that the most anti free speech stance of them all?

I don't want those with a different opinion to me to have a voice only those that agree with me.

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong but it is alarming in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

This cancel culture is just the left trying to force their way of living onto normal people. They know they cannot effect change through the democratic process so have spent the last 30 to 40 years progressively promoting identity politics and trying to shame us into submission.

When people oppose this, they are ridiculed or silenced, with an ever happy media willing to travel through tweets from years ago, to find evidence.

It has reached parody levels. Thank God, yes god, I don't take it seriously. It appears many hold similar views. And again, thank God they do.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Media has become extremely polarized. It's way more polarized in the US that it is in western Europe.

So the answer is not that Rogan's podcasts must include the opposing view, but that Spotify must have on it's platform the opposing view. As far as I can see, it does. Because it hosts a wealth of podcasts. So what's the problem?

edit; Neil Young and Jodie Mitchell didn't just silently remove themselves from Spotify. They did it in protest at Rogan being on it in the hope Spotify would remove him. So it's not a case of just them expressing their opinion, but trying to silence others. They are perfectly entitled to do that, but lets not pretend what it is they are trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rogan's podcast has to be treated differently than others on Spotify, because all those other podcasts put their content on Spotify and earn money when people listen to it. Spotify is just a way to access those podcasts.

With Rogan, Spotify have paid him 100m to exclusively have his podcasts on their platform. As such there's a different relationship between Spotify and Rogan, than with other podcasts.

Regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with the current Rogan situations, he's not just like any other podcast on Spotify. There's an entirely different relationship between them.

Wake up kid, it's 2022

Ireland democratically have been one of the most progressive countries on the planet in most of our lifetimes, with many of the things that have been implemented including same sex marriage, availability of divorce, the right to have an abortion having being achieved because of the willingness to discuss peoples needs and the how it is fair to allow the people to live the life they want in spite of the counter voices of staunchly conservative institutes and individuals.

The idea that the left cannot affect change through the democratic process is so laughably out of place it doesn't even refer to a situation that existed within this century. It's because they've had such success we have regressives harping back to time past wishing they existed now. They don't. Deal with it.

The scientists who wrote a letter complaining about Rogan misinformation specifically said that they were not asking for him to be removed from the site but that there be better communication as to the message that his show was putting out there.

That didn't happen and Rogan continued with his misinformation. Young feels strongly about the dangers of this misinformation and so said he would have nothing to do with a company that allowed it to happen without any consideration as to its impact.

Psaki referring to more being done could just as easily have been talking about accompanying messages with the platform that the content was disputed by medically qualified people rather than him being removed. The last administration tried to ban voices it didn't like from attending press conferences so I don't think Psaki or the Biden administration could be seen to being setting a dangerous precedent, if anything they have dialed back the rhetoric significantly.

Conservatives look to blame Biden for the ongoing pandemic when there is demonstrable evidence that where it is worst is directly associated with poor vaccine take up. They also remonstrate strongly with him about introducing vaccine mandates and now are angered with his administration having an issue with the unfettered publication of false information in relation to it.

The fact that other artists as well as young removed their content knowing that Spotify were supporting Rogan simply shows they are principled in their positions and not purely motivated by their own financial gain, many of them obviously can afford to be.

You most definitely are looking at it wrong if you think that it is something that 'The Left' do. Trump, a central figure in the right wing mindset of the last period of close to ten years wished, as President, that individuals who expressed an opinion he didn't like would be fired for doing so. He regularly castigated and demeaned individuals and organisations whose journalism content he didn't like and tried to ban at least one journalist from the White House.

When the Dixie Chicks expressed dislike for George W Bush because of him starting a second Gulf war, their content was removed from most country music stations in the southern US states.

The lady who flipped off Trumps motorcade was fired from her company for doing so. In the UK, the explicitly right wing focused GB News punished a presenter for expressing his individual support for the BLM cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Nobody gives a fiddlers fart about Neil Young apart from boomers. Young made his play and Spotify's stock went up. He picked a fight and lost , simple as.

Spotify could fire Rogan and lose 100M. Thats not all they are concerned about. They will lose Rogan listeners , millions? But they will also see a mass exodus by people who may not listen to Rogan , but who value free speech and are anti censorship. These types are everyday people don't post on twitter and message boards. But they will come out and stand up for whats right when needs be , like the Truckers seen across Canada!

Meanwhile , the heretics on the left will keep squealing like piglets about "misinformation" . What they really want to do is thought policing people they believe are guilty of wrong think.

There is no law against "misinformation". There is no anti misinformation act. There is no legislation. There is nothing only an insatiable thirst to censor those who express thoughts that go against the status quo.

Banning Rogan would be an unmitigated disaster for Spotify and they know it. So don't expect Rogan to be going anywhere anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

The rock has bent the knee... free speech is all about the $$

• Advertisement

Except if Spotify did hypothetically remove Rogan from the platform, that wouldn't be silencing him. He would still be free to have a podcast.. "

Fyi, "more can be done" was in reference to the poster's claim the Biden administration told Spotify to remove him from the platform.

Advertisement