Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long until we see €2 a litre and will it push more to EV's faster?

• 04-02-2022 5:26pm

I'm guessing that we'll see €2 prices at the pumps by May/Jun.

Brent crude just passed $90 a barrel, the highest its been since 2014. Its also showing no signs of slowing down and will break through $100 a barrel before the end of the month in all likelihood.

As to whether this will push more people to move to EV's at a faster rate, I think thats pretty much a certainty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Increase your salary to balance the inflation. Battery cars don’t suit every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some folks don't seem to understand how things work if they think owning and running a car is going to be cheaper if everyone just switches to EVs. Remember that electricity prices have increased by over 50% in the last 12 months or so too so it's not some unique phenomenon only associated with petroleum. The more people start switching to electricity to fuel their cars then it's only natural that demand pushes prices up.

Then you have to take the revenue stream from taxation, levies and grants. When the balance of the national fleet starts moving in the direction of EVs the Government are not just going to let the revenue stream trickle away to a lower level than they collect now from all the ICE cars out there. They will have to make back the short fall and that means more tax rises for EV owners, less grants towards purchasing EVs, taking away EV toll subsidies, etc. All these perks are to get people to switch, once they reach a saturation point where revenue starts to drop off they will go. The Government coffers depends on revenue from the likes of the motorist to go towards paying for the running of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Depreciation is my highest cost per year, at the moment it's roughly triple my fuel costs even with current prices, it would be a monumentally stupid decision for me to buy a new electric car that would depreciate even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It's already €2 petrol in the Netherlands.

Anyway, we had truckers protesting back in mid 2000's when diesel hit €1/l.

The UK had a shock when they got to the magic £5 gallon.. there was outrage..but now they are paying £8 a gallon.

Nothing has happened except, more duty, higher vat and carbon tax.

Come budget time, and a few more cent is added on, people will just say, as shur, it's only a few pence... Not even the price of a coffee.

Well all those pennies are adding up.

Do I give a flying füç.. nope, because it's out of my hands.

Then you have to take the revenue stream from taxation, levies and grants. When the balance of the national fleet starts moving in the direction of EVs the Government are not just going to let the revenue stream trickle away to a lower level than they collect now from all the ICE cars out there. They will have to make back the short fall and that means more tax rises for EV owners, less grants towards purchasing EVs, taking away EV toll subsidies, etc. All these perks are to get people to switch, once they reach a saturation point where revenue starts to drop off they will go. The Government coffers depends on revenue from the likes of the motorist to go towards paying for the running of the country.

100%

I believe they are looking at incorporating one or both of the following in with the existing emissions based tax model

• Pay by annual mileage
    • Pay by weight of vehicle

Its likely it'll be some combo of the 2 with a weighting applied to the vehicle weight part i.e. 10,000 miles in a large SUV will cost more than 10,000 miles in a small hatchback.

Its was flagged in the Five Cities Demand Management report as being under investigation at the moment so expect to see this within the next 1-2 years. Thread about that below

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I recall a good few years ago, a barrel of crude hit €115, yet I never remember the pump price as high as it is now.

How anyone buys that petrol super is beyond me. I have seen it around €1.90/ltre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

45k used cars on donedeal just under 1300 are EV's so the genepool is really there for a mass, knee jerk switch to EV and the waiting time for a new one is 6 - 12 months for some brands.

That being said, definitely €2 a litre is on the cards shortly and then it will just become the norm as a round number and we'll just accept it because we're a nation like that.

Would love a bit of relief in some regards myself, from the rapid increase in price of every single thing. The powers that be seem to think a one time €100 off my next ESB bill will see me sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is the thing.

If 50 percent of ICE owners switched to EV's tomorrow (assuming in the first instance there were enough EV's on the market to do that) there would be a number of negative outcomes.

The national grid would most likely collapse, the cost of electricity would increase, the loss of ICE related revenue to the state would mean an imposition of significant charges on EV's, and most importantly, not a single public charger would have a queue of less than 20 at it on a regular basis.

I am all for EV for numerour reasons, but for those thinking it will mean far cheaper motoring - not a notion, or at least not without significant forward planning in a number of areas - we don't have a great track record for that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is a good chance this too will blow over. In 2012 prices went beyond 1.60/l

Oil price usually goes up before a war. I really hope there won't be a war but there's feck all we can do about it if there is. Supply chains are still fcuked, lots of people quit their jobs & lots who are doing less than they were before the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A lot of lorries will have to park up at that diesel price.

What it will do to embed inflation doesn't bare thinking about .

Danger also that people will revolt against the green agenda if it is skinning them alive.

2 euro fuel will see a lot of hard days for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'd pay €3 a litre before I'd buy some sh1tbox electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In the UK the parliamentary committee on transport has recommended road pricing and an increase in VED (or motor tax to us) as people start shifting towards EVs.

EVs are only going to be cheap to run for a short while, once enough people switch they'll get rid of the discounted tolls, the 0% company car tax (that's already flagged as going from 2023), the VRT relief, and that's just the low hanging fruit.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people who are buying much heavier vehicles (and therefore wearing out our roads faster - hardly very environmentally friendly, but we'll gloss over that in the same way we know that the electricity used to go into these vehicles is definitely not 100% renewable energy but somehow EVs are 'zero emissions') are getting toll discounts not to mention €120 car tax. If you can afford an electric car, you can well afford to pay proper car tax and proper tolls like the rest of us mugs do, especially when you're wearing out our roads quicker than the rest of us are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The rate of wear on Ev tyres is often overlooked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Taxing cars by weight (particularly non -commercial), makes a lot of sense. It would also likely slow down the demand for SUVs therefore making environmental sense and a number of other benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Lets add in drag coefficient and make it a party!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't see too much of a rush coming yet, people will adjust. The two immediate problems are the price of them and the range, never mind our poor charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Brother works on this in the car industry (high in env section in a car manufacturer)

His views 6 months ago

kWhr/100km is going to be the all-important new metric. Just because it doesn't have a tailpipe doesn't mean they can't tax based on efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

And the electricity to recharge your EV where does that come from?? - your local 'fossil fueled' power station 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

MPGe = Miles per gallon equivalent ( roughly estimated based on price of petrol and electricity )

Renault Zoe = 180 MPGe = 1.31 L/100km

Peugeot e208 = 170 MPGe = 1.38 L/100km

inevitable .. before 2030 most new cars will be electric.. with a sizable amount of people generating fuel from solar off their roof, then finally Ireland to realize wind potential off west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Petrol 31/01/22 €/l

Could be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'll be shticking to the auld LPG anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It would also have the advantage of reducing the uptake of EVs, since even the ones designed from the outset are still ridiculously heavy compared to cars with proper engines, like the ID3, which is 400 kilos more than a Golf, or the new EQS, which weighs a staggering 2.7 tonnes, a whopping 700 kilos more than a rear wheel drive diesel S-class or 4 Matic petrol S-class.

That's precisely the reason it won't happen, because of course the 'experts' think is no pollution whatsoever in making cars and of course there is no pollution whatsoever in driving an EV despite the fact that in 2020, only 13.5% of our electricity grid came from renewable energy and sure a few months ago they couldn't rule out electricity blackouts at Christmas time for the next few years🙄.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Making biodiesel is easy to do at home, but HVO? How does one make HVO at home. That is a far superior fuel, but made from the same feedstock as biodiesel

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Exactly, and the battery and the manufacture of the car itself, and the greens banging on about EV, they’re the ones that promoted diesel not that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Electric car emissions myth 'busted'

The researchers say average “lifetime“ emissions from electric cars are up to 70% lower than petrol cars in countries like Sweden and France (where most electricity comes from renewables and nuclear), and around 30% lower in the UK.

They say the picture for electric cars will become steadily more favourable as nations shift to clean electricity.

The researchers carried out a life-cycle assessment in which they not only calculated greenhouse gas emissions generated when using cars and heating systems, but also in the production chain and waste processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's only a matter of time before any of the ev grants are gone and the government start going after the ev drivers for the short fall in taxes from petrol and diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

watching the news yesterday its claimed the government will make an announcement on thursday in tackling the current cost of living, hopefully that'll include a drop on fuel VAT😐️

Post edited by fryup on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Advertisement