Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time housing debate: Eoin O Broin vs Darragh O'Brien

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,722 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I agree with you on Mary Lou and co. The reference to Harris was in response to the suggestion that O'Broin has no real life experience. He is far from the only one as I illustrated.

Also agree that we are badly served by the options generally, but this is something that has gotten markedly worse in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That's just not true. Irish banks want to see your repayment capacity, so if you are consistently saving and/or have been paying rent it is considered

You are confusing ireland with the US where repaying credit cards and loans helps build your credit score, so getting into debt is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

banks are hardwired for lending, its a fundamental element of their business model, since they can create the money for lending with relative ease, we must reduce their involvement in the process of building, as theres a clear conflict of interest involved in this approach, as banks use their ability to create credit to push up the overall price of property and land....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The SF lovers will say O'Broin was great last night but you're spot on, all he said was we need more houses. They may as well have had a 4 year old or a parrot on, would have achieved the same result.

But unfortunately this stupid soundbite of stating the bloody obvious has SF with 1 foot in the door of the next government. In my constituency Denise Mitchell SF got the most votes of any candidate in the last General election and she is firmly on the back bench of SF. Patricia Ryan SF topped the polls in Kildare despite being on holiday for the final week leading up to the GE. SF could have run an actual donkey and it would have been elected.

Granted this is on the back of frustration at FG/FF and the current housing market, but a lot of SF supporters are in for a huge shock when it transpires that saviours Mcdonald, O'Broin et al do not have any answers or solutions to this problem, and will be turfed back out on their ear (hopefully far sooner than the 5 year term they will inevitably be elected to).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How is SF's plan going to succeed if they object to everything? The opposition will just object to their plans and they'll achieve nothing, SF are unlikely to get the numbers at local level to override any of the decisions, this is a clear problem they should be tackling now rather than blaming everybody else for the inevitable future failure.

The cynic would say they're objecting to housing to try and drag out it out till election time, however, the objections are being made quite publicly now so they made not be able to keep hiding from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

From a FG family, you say?

‘A great-uncle was a councillor in Dún Laoghaire but his parents were not party political.’

Hardly a dynasty, is it?

Never had any significant loans here and never had problems getting a mortgage, as you say, they need to see your capacity for repayment, so if your mortgage is going to be 1200 a month and you're paying rent of 800, then setup a regular savings account of 400+ a month to show you're reliable, will be the first thing any financial advisor says (along with pay off any outstanding loans starting with credit card).

You assume that all people availing of this will go into a social housing list? Why? They are already living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Given that our Minister for Education is a woman, I would guess that you are mixing her up with someone else. Hard to accuse others of howlers.

When you are explaining, you're losing. Sinn Fein have blocked housing developments as ultimate hypocrites, that is the message the government is selling, and it is a simple message based on facts. If you are trying to excuse away their blocking of development, you are already accepting that they have blocked development and prevented people getting houses. From an individual's point of view, it doesn't matter whether it is the council, a developer or an international investor who builds or owns the houses, it is just that they get built.

I would put money on O'Broin cosying up to every developer and institutional investor in town if he becomes Minister as he will just want houses built and the local Sinn Fein opposition will melt away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Oh pardon me, the poster I was replying to knew who I was referring to, hardly a howler now is it? Correction, our Minister for HIGHER education was a first year drop out of higher education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So as you say you hope SF if they are in government then get turfed out as you say before their term is up, who to replace them with back to the good old FF and FG who have created this mess? This is the problem isn't it. People are absolutely sick to the back teeth of the FF and FG and there carry on and lets not forget that it has been those 2 parties that have been in government between them since the beginnings of the state practically. SF are not much better either. It is a sad state of affairs and this blind party loyalty we see it not going to help things either. It is ridiculous, all parties should be held to account and people need to stop this partizan crap because as long as it is there politicians will they can carry on as they have been fleecing the state for the benefit of themselves and their cronys.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

When SF do get the reins of power here, they face a problem of their own making. They have consistently said that the problems that face Ireland (housing, healthcare) are easy to solve. Let's just see how easy they find them to solve once they do get into power.

Based on what we saw last night, they won't do any better than the current shower leading us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@blanch152 wrote

I would put money on O'Broin cosying up to every developer and institutional investor in town if he becomes Minister as he will just want houses built and the local Sinn Fein opposition will melt away.

And introducing shortcuts and exemptions from planning, building regulations and immigration visas to be able to say that we're building faster and cheaper than ever.

So by the end of the decade we're back to the same celtic tiger nonsense with issues with substandard housing and pyrite and new communities choked with traffic and energy and waste capacity problems.

The big obvious issue that SF could be leaping on, I've seen brought up elsewhere online. The soundbite of "housing can't be fixed overnight" was first introduced by FG .... a decade ago.

And since then they've managed to make very little headway on it. Now, the dogs on the street know that they were beset by quite a few problems not of their own making. Between squeezed budgets, elections and then a global pandemic, getting things done on that front has been very hard. But for FG to play that poor mouth, is never going to come across well.

Our housing market was actually starting to get back on track in 2019, we were progressing towards meeting demand by about 2023. And then covid kicked us in the bollox. And it's caused a delay not only by 2 years, but however long it takes global supply and labour problems to get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I don’t think most SF supporters expect immediate change. They would be satisfied by policies such as bans on ‘vulture funds’ and receptive to the excuse that SF can’t undo a crisis overnight that successive governments spent years creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The labour issue is one of the major cruxes of the problem, FAS had its issues, but back when I was in CIT, the place was thronged with apprentices who were all keen to get out of there as quickly as possible and back on the tools.

I've often wondered if the discouraging of young lads from leaving school after junior cert to pursue trades was a major mistake. It would seem that by giving people more options in terms of education, more of them have decided to opt out of manual trades. This was masked somewhat by the influx of eastern European labour, which has now been exposed by the volume of them who have left in the last few years, just as things were getting going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Not at all, I took a 50% figure (of the made up figure provided by an NGO). I made the assumption that the majority would be in low paid employment (and not paying tax etc.). there is no cap, this scheme may double our social housing list.

Besides that is an entirely separate conversation, immigration and the net amount we will have over the next while has a large effect on housing. From speaking to estate agents, Irish coming home from abroad during the pandemic and looking to settle down had a large increase in increasing prices.

SF are basically pre bailout FF as far as I can see.

Think ill be spoiling my vote next time, all much the same and none appeal to me, and I am not going to either of the extreme nut job ends.

To be fair, they do know a few good republicans turned developers who are known to turn a blind eye or two to housing standards.

The decision to shut down construction for months last year was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I hope SF get turfed out after they get exposed for their blatant lies. This Oprah Winfrey style you get a house and you get a house nonsense that is going to get them elected is pure nonsense. Their fantasy think they're going to be handed keys to a nice 3 bed home once SF get into power. Complete fallacy.

FG and FF are no better, they've caused this mess. I probably will be spoling my vote similar to another poster who said the same as I don't believe any of them are going to fix this issue immediately, but least of all SF.

There needs to be a Slaintecare approach to this. Lock the housing spokesperson for watch party into a room for a weekend and don't let them out til they've agreed and signed off on a plan to tackle the housing issue in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

Eoin o Broin had years,literally years to prepare for this interview.It was his big moment,I'm sure he thought about,analysed and practiced every answer in front of the mirror and was delighted when O Brien eventually agreed to debate him.......

And that shambolic performance is what we got?

That ,ladies and gentlemen is the best of the best that SF have to offer.

Anybody thinking the shouty,paper thin populists are the answer to anything are in for a big land.

funnily enough, you ll find, they ll be in government next, so yea, people are considering them to be the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

The Shinnerbots in Putin's bot factories love O'Broin mainly because he reminds them of the heroes of the Soviet Union they learned about growing up in the Russian education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"low margin"?

Lending banks expect property developers to show a 15% margin on estates.

On a selling price of 340k, or 300k less VAT, that is 45,000 per house.

I would not call that low margin.

On a development of 50 houses, that's over 2 million profit for the developer.

They haven't gone away you know.

"Notorious cowboy builder Tom McFeely is refusing to stop illegal demolition work in a conservation area near Queen's University in Belfast."

A but like Provo child abusers back in the day, it seems that all you have to do is change jurisdiction and away you go.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

I don't think either of them came off well, so would not put one down as winner over the other. What was more noticeable was the contrast between the two - O'Brien comes across as a bit of a waffler who can throw out buzzwords without really saying anything of substance vs O'Broin seems to have put more thought into the detail but struggles to say anything concisely. Net result is the same in that he says little of substance.

There is another more important contrast between the two. O'Brien is a Celtic Tiger era homebuyer and will likely look after his own, O'Broin is a renter and equally likely to look after his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I would suggest the average punter couldn't care less about any point scoring and is more concerned about the complete balls up housing is.

the political left have always had a major communication problem, as can be seen with o'broin, hes a smart chap, and is well informed, but.... but im not sure the electorate give a sh1t at this stage, particularly those that are getting screwed by all of this, its a vote of anything buy ffg, at this stage, and sf is effectively the only choice now....

Why are SF the only choice?

There are Labour/SDs on the actual left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

All that example really proves is how much the government is creaming off the top with taxes for doing nothing!

Advertisement