Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't walk on country roads anymore

Options

Comments

Inability to walk or cycle is an Irish problem. Here, I can go to more rural locations and never have to think about stepping on to roadway to get between villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

Have we all not been that idiot driver at some stage. I used to be mad about cars and motor bikes years ago and drove like an idiot, I crashed a lot of times and luckily came out ok but it was pure luck. I got sense since and I would be a fairly steady driver now. The thing is there was only three or four of us that drove when I was at college, nowadays most drive cars. Very few single car families around the country either. We just have more cars now and a lot of the roads aren’t suited.

what’s the story with idiots walking on the same side of the road as the car is on with their backs to the car that doesn’t step in or worry about maybe not been seen.

i was on a very busy main road a couple of weeks ago , it was half six in the morning and came around a bend and there was this clown on an electric scooter dressed in black in the middle of the road. No lights visi vest or anything to distinguish him in the dark but he stayed out in the middle of the road holding up everyone rather than pull over so lads could get by.

another dark evening I came around another bend an there was this woman out walking with a double child’s buggy.

it’s a bit more of no one taking personal responsibility and everyone else is in the wrong and that’s from both sides.

I won’t get into cyclists , they are just a breed onto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The lack of hi vis jackets is concerning. With the low sun this last while its very hard to see pedestrians. Why do people wear black?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Roads are busier as more go back to work its also a sgn of a busy economy when more traffic is on the road, saying that tho drivers seem to be more aggressive on the roads, I'd do 4 to 500 km most days and have noticed a big increase in traffic and speeding

Nope. Haven't been that idiot driver due to RTA who took a family member when I was a child. Brother on the otherhand is a lunatic and age has done little to moderate his behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ah cripes man listen to yourself. How would you feel if you mowed down that Mother and kids pushing the buggy. You have to be in control of your car at all times regardless and if that means driving very slow then so be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the majority of pedestrians i've seen on country roads are dressed visibly enough. but the issue is that if motorists are not driving to the conditions, that's where the problem lies. put it this way, i see many more badly behaved drivers than i see badly dressed pedestrians.

and if you've a low sun in your eyes, you really should slow down, it won't just be pedestrians you need to keep an eye out for.

I was going handy and just pointing out how she hadn’t the cop on to not be out walking and it nearly dark with her kids and buggy on a road that is narrow and busy.

Maybe you should listen to yourself sometime , that would be an argument worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Have we all not been that idiot driver at some stage.

Nope.

Can you honestly say you never pulled out onto a road sometime when you shouldn’t, you’ve never passed on a continuous white line, broke the speed limit , took a turn too wide or done anything wrong. I doubt it.

we have all been that idiot driver at some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Walking has gotten so dangerous last few years. I go walk to clear head after work. But fkrz in evening who drive at speed.. No need for it.... Walk with hi viz and had mini flashlight but cars just dazzling me and driving way to close to comfort.

So upgraded my flashlight to 2000lm and anyone who keeps full heads on me I dazzle them and doesn't long be slowing them down... I know shouldn't but it let's them know I'm there and it really slows them down whilst also ensuring they keep out from me...

Have had few run ins with people for blinding them but I just tell them speed limits are max not min. Speeds and fully headlights on me not very nice... So that's how it feels when I dazzle them back 😂😂

Rural schools pressuring children to cycle to school have to stop. A childs safety should always come ahead of a schools Green Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It’s called common sense or personal responsibility. There are loads of examples of both drivers and pedestrians being wrong out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Are schools really doing that, how many teachers cycle to school i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Remember the first few week of covid lockdowns back in spring 20. There was hardly a car on the road and no lorries. ‘‘Twas bliss in one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All the common sense and personal responsibility in the world is little use to you when some half wit, half in control and half on the wrong side of the road comes at you around a blind bend.

I agree with you that everyone should be careful but when did you last hear of a driver being killed in a collision with a pedestrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'd say the future will be google maps in said cars knowing about pedestrians or cyclists on the route through their smart phones or fitbits. You can already tell of traffic jams or slowdowns on the maps. It'd hardly be much more bother to get pedestrians and cyclists included.

Sticking my farmer hat on another feature could be warning of stock being moved ahead on the road or horse riders.

Seems a logical step and one that would be welcomed.

If people won't drive properly they'll put limits on everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's what they have done on some country roads in Jersey.

If we want to make country roads safer here we will have to reclassify minor roads and forget about the one for all 80kph limit.

I can't see 15 mph (24.14 kph) being a runner in many places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Out of curiosity , why do you the tractors are uninsured?

No insurance disc displayed ?

Little known fact is agricultural tractors are exempt from having to display an insurance disc .

yes, and the death rate on the roads went up IIRC.

Maybe the fact that there's a 13 year old driving it or that the tractor is an ancient pos without lights and is in no way roadworthy. Unless I'm mistaken and Insurance companies cover them regardless of who drives or the condition of the vehicle

Can you honestly say you never pulled out onto a road sometime when you shouldn’t, you’ve never passed on a continuous white line, broke the speed limit , took a turn too wide or done anything wrong. I doubt it.

we have all been that idiot driver at some time.

there's a difference between wilfully driving like an idiot:

I used to be mad about cars and motor bikes years ago and drove like an idiot, I crashed a lot of times and luckily came out ok but it was pure luck.

and having done careless or stupid things in a car. i've been involved in two collisions where i was to blame, both times at below 5mph, both over 20 years ago. one involved black ice FWIW.

in the post i was responding to, you mentioned two instances where you thought exposed road users were to blame. there's a whole lot of qualitative and quantitative difference you're missing in what appears to be an attempt to draw some equivalence; an e-scooterist in the middle of the road like that is (apart from being exceptionally rare), also exceptionally unlikely to kill someone else. you suggested cyclists were even worse. there is a single recorded case so far this century where a cyclist has been found to be responsible for the death of another road user.

if you drive on country roads and cannot anticipate that there may be pedestrians on it - even at night - you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭straight

I wouldn't have put you down as one of the middle aged lycra gang. It's all those rat race people rushing home to binge watch Netflix I guess. I'm living on a nice quiet road myself. We were in the city today and you could just feel the tension in the drivers and the horn blowing and just a not so nice vibe all round.

What did they notice in the lockdown?

".... increases in speeding and drug driving...."

No I'm not one of the lyvra gang. They can be aggressive enough too even to walkers on the road but I know where they are coming from and why they act like that.

My farm is fragmented so I cycle to each of the places to check up on stock as it's the right thing to do and not have another Car or Tractor hogging the narrow road. I'm pissed off now that even a short journey down the road can't be taken walking or cycling as it's no longer safe to do so. It's not the amount of cars but the speed and aggression of drivers. Like a car comes hammering around a blind bend and I have to jump up onto the side or be killed and somehow "I'm at fault for being there"?

That's just not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

. Really lucky around here, wide roads , plenty places to walk or cycle.

If the M6 wasn't built we'd be in some mess

Advertisement