Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Global cities reducing car access

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ haphaphap

"No-one is proposing banning cars".

It seems to me to be more like an operation to blow-up the bridges on the Rhine to stop the enemy's advance picking the most strategically important waypoints to pin those dasterdly car commuters at bay.

In my city back gardens of an entire street were taken which in conjunction with a tunnel through a mountain to ease access for both cars and buses to the centre of the city.

Dublin is struggling to even claim a few feet of front garden so...abrakedabra, lets ban cars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

yep, a bus driving even at walking pace in the city centre would typically be taking up the same amount of space as two cars - with probably no more than three occupants - with probably 10 times as many passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭ Cookiemunster

Please explain how increasing the speed of a fixed number of (already full) bus seats increases capacity. Only extra buses will increase capacity. That isn't reliant on their speed.

option 2 is the one secretly yearned for by the group who control this sub-forum but only the Dullards openly state it on thread.

The consternation when the attempted grab of Strand Road was rolled back by Court Order is proof of this...even arterial routes like Strand Road aren't safe.

• Advertisement

forgetting 100% capacity increase which is just not possible being capable of carrying 1000 people instead of 500 is not of much use when the majority of people want to get in to their destination between the hours of 8 and 10 and 3 and 6 each day.

Have you heard of unions? And is that bus going to be able to do two runs during rush hour when capacity is already maxed? The extra capacity is unlikely to be needed outside of those peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭ DaCor

Sigh, that's an answer to a question that was not asked. Please try again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

One bus going from Bray to Heuston taking 40 mins carrying 50 passengers -say - compared with the same bus carrying the same passengers in 80 mins. The bus will be able to make twice as many journeys per day, so doubling capacity with the same number of buses. Now it is most unlikely that the service could achieve anything like that, but a more modest improvement of say 10% or 20% would mean an increase in capacity of 10% or 20%, providing the timetables were adjusted to take account of the faster speed.

Whether the bus is full or not, the higher speed makes the journey time shorter which means the bus can make more journeys per shift/day. Now obviously, the current speed of buses during congested times in Dublin barely breaks double figures, so an improvement is easier. This is what Busconnects is trying to achieve.

Why do we tolerate illegal parking, cars driving in bus lanes, cars breaking red lights, cars parking in cycle lanes, cars parking on the pavements, etc.?

[Last week or so, (18th Jan) I was travelling south down the N11, passing Oatlands School when the traffic suddenly stopped. There was clearly an incident on the N11 opposite what used to be the bowling alley. Now I could not see what it was, but the traffic was stationary for maybe 10 mins. The traffic started to try to move, and some cars (BMWs and Audis) started going down the bus lane and were followed by many more cars until it was choked. Then I saw an ambulance and a fire truck trying to get through the traffic with no success - many cars tried t make space by moving left, but those in the bus lane refused to move. Eventually, the ambulance and fire truck got through. The Garda started letting cars through, but not those in the bus lane. Turned out to be a four by four on its side on the central reservation, presumably with people still in it. If those in the bus lane had kept it free, it would al have been over in jig time. It does not take many selfish drivers to make life difficult for all.]

• Advertisement

just a teensy bit of goalpost moving there, no?

rush hour can last a few hours, so yes, it's quite possible that a bus making one return journey could stretch that into one and a half or more return journeys during rush hour.

which goalpost moving? 100% capacity increase to 10% capacity increase. Is that what you mean.

Let's ban cars for a 10% capacity increase on public transport. That will win hearts and minds.

No you are not. You are an overbearing presence in the sub-forum trying to compel people to the conclusions which you wish to be drawn. Insidious, Nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko

If only that were the case. Any proposed restrictions on cars are very 'very small in scope.

trying to compel people to the conclusions which you wish to be drawn

you mean he's trying to convince them of the merit of his argument? what a beast.

via a limited number of fabricated possible responses of his or her choosing and none beyond them. Yeah, they have a place waiting for them in the diplomatic corp.

I'll never get you to publicly admit on thread that you want massive amounts of the arterial routes in Dublin closed to private traffic making ownership of a car basically pointless. You are clever enough not to say that. It is what you want but you will never say it on thread. You'll use more convuluted approaches in pursuit of your goal.

• Advertisement

and there is the side order of passive aggressiveness.

Frustrating that this sub-forum is full of people who think they know how to solve urban Ireland's transportation woes without having experienced successful implementation of traffic management abroad.

It's not in any way goal post moving. The simple fact is that DB unions (and CIE unions in general) are known to be very reticent to change or their members doing any extra work, which driving twice as many routes would entail. We live in the real world and if you're going to talk about increased capacity you have to talk about the people providing said extra capacity.

I suspect chinese ebikes like the Himo C20, Fiido and Ado A20 might be the unexpected path to congestion free urban transport because the councils certainly won't achieve it along with the increasing cost of motoring will lead people to re-evaluate the second car on their driveways. shared bikes are not where you want when you want them. scooters are deathtraps.

Post edited by haphaphap on

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭ gjim

I honestly have and had no intention of hurting you or insulting you. What I wrote was directed at DaCor who seems to have made a genuine effort to engage with.

If you're a troll, then bravo, I suppose. If you're not, then I feel some sympathy for you - everything in life is much better and easier once you develop the basic tools to being able to communicate effectively.

While not feeling hurt I am feeling as welcome as a TERF at a Gender Studies institute.

Suggesting that cars have a legitimate right to exist in Urban areas is akin to Heresy around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko

Are you suggesting that there should be no restriction on private cars at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,204 ✭✭✭✭ end of the road

complete nonsense.

the drivers will still be driving the same amount of routes as they always have been, they will simply be going from end to end a bit more which is not going to be a union issue meaning you bringing unions into the discussion is redundant.

julian the journalist asange is innocent, free julian the journalist.

• Advertisement

restrictions below euro4 emmission standards in Urban areas seems reasonable place to start. at this stage it does not hurt the poorest percentiles too much and they can trade their polluting cars for compliant cars with motorists out in the Boonies.

Advertisement