Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

option 2 is the one secretly yearned for by the group who control this sub-forum but only the Dullards openly state it on thread.

The consternation when the attempted grab of Strand Road was rolled back by Court Order is proof of this...even arterial routes like Strand Road aren't safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple - if a bus can get into the city centre twice as often in one day (running with the 'doubling of speed' idea as a concept) - say a 100 seater bus, getting into the city centre ten times a day instead of five times, that bus is now capable of carrying 1000 people into the city centre every day instead of 500.

forgetting 100% capacity increase which is just not possible being capable of carrying 1000 people instead of 500 is not of much use when the majority of people want to get in to their destination between the hours of 8 and 10 and 3 and 6 each day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Have you heard of unions? And is that bus going to be able to do two runs during rush hour when capacity is already maxed? The extra capacity is unlikely to be needed outside of those peak times.

Sigh, that's an answer to a question that was not asked. Please try again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

One bus going from Bray to Heuston taking 40 mins carrying 50 passengers -say - compared with the same bus carrying the same passengers in 80 mins. The bus will be able to make twice as many journeys per day, so doubling capacity with the same number of buses. Now it is most unlikely that the service could achieve anything like that, but a more modest improvement of say 10% or 20% would mean an increase in capacity of 10% or 20%, providing the timetables were adjusted to take account of the faster speed.

Whether the bus is full or not, the higher speed makes the journey time shorter which means the bus can make more journeys per shift/day. Now obviously, the current speed of buses during congested times in Dublin barely breaks double figures, so an improvement is easier. This is what Busconnects is trying to achieve.

Why do we tolerate illegal parking, cars driving in bus lanes, cars breaking red lights, cars parking in cycle lanes, cars parking on the pavements, etc.?

[Last week or so, (18th Jan) I was travelling south down the N11, passing Oatlands School when the traffic suddenly stopped. There was clearly an incident on the N11 opposite what used to be the bowling alley. Now I could not see what it was, but the traffic was stationary for maybe 10 mins. The traffic started to try to move, and some cars (BMWs and Audis) started going down the bus lane and were followed by many more cars until it was choked. Then I saw an ambulance and a fire truck trying to get through the traffic with no success - many cars tried t make space by moving left, but those in the bus lane refused to move. Eventually, the ambulance and fire truck got through. The Garda started letting cars through, but not those in the bus lane. Turned out to be a four by four on its side on the central reservation, presumably with people still in it. If those in the bus lane had kept it free, it would al have been over in jig time. It does not take many selfish drivers to make life difficult for all.]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just a teensy bit of goalpost moving there, no?

rush hour can last a few hours, so yes, it's quite possible that a bus making one return journey could stretch that into one and a half or more return journeys during rush hour.

which goalpost moving? 100% capacity increase to 10% capacity increase. Is that what you mean.

Let's ban cars for a 10% capacity increase on public transport. That will win hearts and minds.

Eh? Literally just trying to engage with you to understand your viewpoint.

Why do you feel the need to resort to insults and name-calling?

No you are not. You are an overbearing presence in the sub-forum trying to compel people to the conclusions which you wish to be drawn. Insidious, Nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only that were the case. Any proposed restrictions on cars are very 'very small in scope.

trying to compel people to the conclusions which you wish to be drawn

you mean he's trying to convince them of the merit of his argument? what a beast.

via a limited number of fabricated possible responses of his or her choosing and none beyond them. Yeah, they have a place waiting for them in the diplomatic corp.

Please read the posts again and give the insults and name-calling a rest.

I am merely asking you to clarify your interpretation of what a car ban means as you like to assert that every other poster is trying to bring it in. The history of this thread shows otherwise yet you continue to throw it around as a way to reduce other valid viewpoints.

I'll never get you to publicly admit on thread that you want massive amounts of the arterial routes in Dublin closed to private traffic making ownership of a car basically pointless. You are clever enough not to say that. It is what you want but you will never say it on thread. You'll use more convuluted approaches in pursuit of your goal.

Ah here, you really need to get over the personal stuff. The reason you'll never get that from me as its not something I'm looking for. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

and there is the side order of passive aggressiveness.

Frustrating that this sub-forum is full of people who think they know how to solve urban Ireland's transportation woes without having experienced successful implementation of traffic management abroad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not in any way goal post moving. The simple fact is that DB unions (and CIE unions in general) are known to be very reticent to change or their members doing any extra work, which driving twice as many routes would entail. We live in the real world and if you're going to talk about increased capacity you have to talk about the people providing said extra capacity.

I suspect chinese ebikes like the Himo C20, Fiido and Ado A20 might be the unexpected path to congestion free urban transport because the councils certainly won't achieve it along with the increasing cost of motoring will lead people to re-evaluate the second car on their driveways. shared bikes are not where you want when you want them. scooters are deathtraps.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭gjim

You're not the first to try to tease out what exactly their argument/point is - only to be met with evasion and insults.

I'm not sure haphaphap really has any intention to actually convince anyone of their viewpoint or even to communicate a coherent viewpoint.

When I see someone tirelessly writing messages like this which make no attempt to engage constructively, it suggests to me one of either two things. Either the person is a classic troll; causing heat and arguments is actually the goal and insulting people along the way is part of the pleasure. This strikes me as an odd hobby and a touch sociopathic but I guess each to their own.

Alternatively, the person genuinely believes they are correct but are socially immature and have no tools for dealing with disagreement. They've yet to realise that insult and ridicule are the exact opposite of what you should be doing if you want to convince others to consider your ideas. No matter how reasonable your position is, shouting/insulting/ridiculing/brow-beating the people you are trying to influence is worse than ineffective - it's clearly stupid. Thankfully life is full of experiences which teach you the value of avoiding this approach - whether through experiences in a work environment or by having family/a partner (particularly dealing with kids) or just generally being a reasonable member of society and not alienating neighbours, friends, etc.

For some reason, I find out-and-out trolls to be less weird, at least it implies some self-awareness and it's unlikely to spill out into the person's "real life". I'd like to believe haphaphap is actually a subtle troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭gjim

I honestly have and had no intention of hurting you or insulting you. What I wrote was directed at DaCor who seems to have made a genuine effort to engage with.

If you're a troll, then bravo, I suppose. If you're not, then I feel some sympathy for you - everything in life is much better and easier once you develop the basic tools to being able to communicate effectively.

While not feeling hurt I am feeling as welcome as a TERF at a Gender Studies institute.

Suggesting that cars have a legitimate right to exist in Urban areas is akin to Heresy around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you suggesting that there should be no restriction on private cars at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

complete nonsense.

the drivers will still be driving the same amount of routes as they always have been, they will simply be going from end to end a bit more which is not going to be a union issue meaning you bringing unions into the discussion is redundant.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

restrictions below euro4 emmission standards in Urban areas seems reasonable place to start. at this stage it does not hurt the poorest percentiles too much and they can trade their polluting cars for compliant cars with motorists out in the Boonies.

Fiidos don't seem like the choice of commuters, they seem more the choice of teenage boys here. the chap who runs my local bike shop has a poor opinion of them, he refuses to engage with them anymore except to fix punctures, says they're bargain basement in terms of quality.

They can not work miracles at those price points and just because they look a bike like a BMX doesn#t make them as rugged as a BMX.

But would his dislike for them have something to do with the sales model which cuts out the dealer? Just sayin'.

Of all them the Fiido based on what research I can do over the internet is my least favoured. I am hesitating on buying one particlar alternative which I see advertised at the moment because I am unsure of the seller.

BTW Fiidos and Himos wonät actually be legal in Ireland if the motors can be increased to 350w in cheat mode. I want to try to stay legal if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This has become a very tiresome thread. Why do people continue to engage with one attention seeking poster.

• Advertisement

yeah, it's certainly possible that he doesn't like them because he doesn't sell them, but if it's a case that they're sold at a price point where fixing one is a significant proportion of the purchase price, he may have reason for giving up on them.

i've been in the shop on two occasions where customers have become annoyed with him over the quoted price of fixing bikes; and he's quite reasonable price wise for repairs. €30 for a complete rebuild of a decent road bike wheel for me a few years ago, as one example. many people think a bike costing €600 3 years ago should be fixable for under €50 no matter the damage.

Advertisement