Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in Austria - Jan 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

No igloo bar in Westendorf. There is one in Brixen though, maybe that’s what you’re thinking of ? Heading to Westendorf (hopefully) on the 26th Feb. Am hoping that the restrictions are eased further. A nice meal and a few pints in the evening, usually in the Hotel Jakobwirt cellar bar, is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Quick question for anyone back (or currently in) Austria. Website saying FFP2 masks are mandatory indoors and outdoors. Does the mask have to be an FFP2 mask or will our regular Irish masks comply? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

When we were there most places allowed the Irish mask, but there was a few that insisted on the FFP2 one. Only one lift in Kitzbuhel insisted on it. If you fly into Austria they give them out at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

In Salzburg airport FFP2 is compulsory and if you don't have one they bring you to the vending machine to get one.

In Mayrhofen at the moment, they're compulsory everywhere indoors and on all ski lifts although not really enforced on chairlifts. Enforced on gondolas though.

COVID passes checked at airport, buying lift pass and in bars in evening time. Weren't checked in hotel and in restaurants and bars on the mountain they seem to assume if you're up there you've already been checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Omicron, is everywhere open in Mayrhofen? I saw on Facebook that the Bruck n Stahl and Mo’s are open. Are all the other bars open for table service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Everything on the mountain is open. No wood apres ski but the stadl has a good bit of music. Most bars are open, table service as far as I can see. Ice bar is closed. Harakiri is only open Thurs to Sunday I think - closed tonight anyway. Scotties is open as normal no restrictions on standing or ordering at the bar.

Everywhere closed at 10 sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Booked flights for a family of four to Munich arriving Friday March 11, have stayed in Westendorf Hotel Post previously I checked the cost of passes for 4 of us for 6 days that week is €864! (2 adults & 2 kids 9 & 13) but open minded about other resorts. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay good value , happy to look at a nice Pension to keep costs down.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Tip - mask tucked inside your balaclava worked for me. Outside it became kind of knotted up in helmet / balaclava, and is also harder to manipulate without taking gloves off. If its in the balaclava you can just pull the balaclava up and down as you enter the lift areas.

I found them pretty sound about it in general. You definitely need it up at or queueing for gondolas or at mid-station when doors open, but we managed multiple laps of the same quiet chairlift without putting it on as no queue and they knew we were together.

In general was a lot less hassle than I thought, and no checking of certs on the mountain, I assume they take it you have it to buy the pass so no need to check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

€864 ain't too bad. It's €1154 for the same in the Dolomites.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Flew to Austria via Munich today with two under-12s. Zero hassle. Just needed travel approved antigens for the kids, no questions asked at amy stage. Documents were checked in both Dublin and Munich

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Any changes to covid protocols in the resorts for February? I saw Austria dropped the need for a negative test on entry regardless of vaccination status for the UK and a few other countries, was wondering if anything else was changing along with this.

I think they cut the lengh of the covid pass for season ticket holders to 3 months

I think we'll see more changes across Europe in the coming while but unfortunately the strictest countries (excepting Ireland) will probably be the slowest to unwind, and that includes the three main ski destinations of Austria, Italy and France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Just back from Austria... with the exception of a really sharp 10PM curfew and facemasks at lift stations / gondolas etc, it was business as usual. Slopes are in super condition everywhere with practically no queues - apparently mountains were at 15-20% capacity for time of year. It was brilliant to be back. Trying to get another trip booked for early March

Think 10 pm due to become midnight shortly

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be drinking in some packed Austrian resort bar listening to appalling cheesy ski techno after a good days skiing and these dark days will be a distant memory, provoked perhaps only by not in taste cocktails like the coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You're a very informative poster on the Winter Sports forum but please don't call that cheesy Austrian apres ski music "techno".

Thanks in advance 👍️

I think we had that argument before??

What did we decide was the name of it?

A lot of them are available on streaming BTW, I have Johnny Depp, Mama Lauder and Das ist so ein Schone Tag on a Tidal playlist entitled "Apres Ski Crap" which the kids regularly call for

Must add to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It came up before alright 😅

I was in Ischgl a few weeks ago and didn't hear any of those tunes once. It's the way forward 👍🏻

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

You could look at Wildschenau ski area.. just down the road from the ski welt. Decent runs in Neiderau, (apologies for the possible mis-spellings) with good ski bus up the valley to link over as far as Alpach. But if you want ski home everyday set up like Westendorf, then this may not be for you!

Enjoy either way.... if my other half could get more annual leave I would be heading again in March 👊 but it was great to get 2 weeks in this season ready. Dreaming of next season already 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

We're supposed to be headed to Westendorf on the 19th. My 12 year old is double vaccinated (but not boosted obviously). Topflght are saying he will need a PCR to enter the country - can anyone confirm if this is true? Separately we've read that the requirement in Austria is that double vaxxed should cover him for up to 180 days so seems to be some conflicting info out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

Only adults on our trips so cant help you on this, sorry.

No doubt someone else will be able to tell you about their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

You know what ? I’m even looking forward to some of that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Looking forward to next week now, how's the snow in general this season Austria side?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

I'm 99.999% sure this is correct. We are also travelling on the 19th, but to Zell am See, with 12yo(double jabbed), 15 yo(double jabbed) and 17yo(double jabbed and boosted). I have booked a Randox at Dublin Airport PCR to allow entry to Austria for the 12yo and 15yo. They will not need the ninja pass in austria which is used for access to services (bars, restaurarants and the all important ski lifts!) On 25th January I emailed the Austrian health authorities who run the ninja pass for clarification, I include their reply with my original email below:

Dear Mr. XXX,

the EU-compliant vaccination certificate, the yellow vaccination card, a vaccination card and a printout or a PDF (e.g. on a cell phone) of the data from the e-vaccination card are valid as proof of vaccination.

The second vaccination is valid immediately. Your children still needed a negative PCR test upon entry to Austria, which must not be older than 72 hours from sample collection. Your children do not need the Holiday Ninja Passport.

We wish you a nice stay in austria.

Best regards

Your Team of „Sichere-Gastfreundschaft“

Von: XXXXX <XXXXXX@gmail.com>

Gesendet: Dienstag, 25. Jänner 2022 13:05

An: Testungen sichere-gastfreundschaft.at <testungen@sichere-gastfreundschaft.at>

Betreff: Entry requirement to Austria

Guten tag,

I must apologise I do not understand German, so I must write to you in English.

My family are due to visit your country in late February, we travel from our home in Ireland.

I have a question about my children and their access to Austria.

My son is 12 years old and my daughter is 15 years old. They have both had a full (double) Pfizer Covid vaccination course, my son will have had it 21 days before entering Austria and my daughter had the vaccine 5 months and 14 days (approx 164 days). They are currently not eligible for a booster due to their age.

Do they need a PCR to enter Austria? The austrian travel website is not clear.

One section suggests they do and another section suggests they don't.

I'm sure they will not need a Ninja pass to access places in Austria.

Danke,

Jaysus the Austrians....

Im sure you've done the timings but if you get your PCR at the airport you'll hardly have the results when you land? Unless you're going out the day before?

I got a late night test recently with another place in dundrum with I think 24 in the title, had results during the night and they were cheaper than randox

Thanks Manshay - I was about to email the embassy. We're in exactly the same position as you. So basically both of our holiday is at risk up until we get the results.

And the difference between double vaxxed and boosted is? This is frustrating to say the least..

My wife was just told by Topflight that people are able to get boosters for their kids - she is bringing my son in now to sure if they will give him one. I'll update here if we have success.

We got our teenagers boosted just after Xmas in a walk in clinic

• Advertisement

deleted

Advertisement