Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in Austria - Jan 2022

Options
  • 19-11-2021 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

We've 15 days booked, departing 14 Jan for Austria. Kitzbühel for a week for the Hahnenkamm Races and Zell am See for another week.

Woke up to news this morning of lockdowns now in Austria. Skiing prob not gonna happen for us this year is it? Bigger problems in the world I accept. We're going on a tailor-made package so covered on all of the costs aspects etc etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Supposed to be going to Hinterglemm in March. I even booked a second flight out to Salzburg a few weeks back as plans changed and we needed to go out a day later than originally planned, didn't for one second think covid was going to threaten the trip at all. Things have changed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Have Westendorf booked twice next year (Jan 8th and late Feb) postponed from this year. Certainly January looks very dodgy now. Yeh, bigger problems out there alright, but very disappointing, to say the least. Am about ready to write off January, fingers still crossed for Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd say you'll be grand lads. European ski resorts can't take another year of this so they'll have to open. There may be limits but I can't see them being as strict as last year.

Also the stated intention is to lock down for 2 weeks with a view to preserving Christmas season. Not sure how sustainable it'll be to try and lock down 2 million unvaxxed people either so would expect push back.

If anyone booking now I'd aim for as late into spring as possible and possibly another country (Spain, or Switzerland or Andorra which both stayed open last year) but I still think you'll be grand. People have had enough so it won't be allowed to happen for as long this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

Fingers crossed.

The resort close to us is gearing up for opening in 2 weeks' time. Last year with high case numbers they closed the resort. This year with with high case numbers, all lifts are accessible to fully vaccinated (no unvaxxed on the gondolas). Are these guidelines likely to change for better or for worse?

It looks like it is going to be another rollercoaster season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Some thoughts here. A little over pessimistic in general but well informed about the situation on the ground.

https://planetski.eu/2021/11/20/ski-resorts-in-austria-prepare-for-lockdown/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

Hopefully it's not the usual "2 week lockdown".

It would be an absolute shame to miss Christmas and New Years on the slopes. I'm sure there will be new guidelines and announcements every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Supposed to be heading to Austria mid January aswell.

Even with the numbers increasing over the last few weeks I never thought the trip would be in doubt. Now I'm not so sure.;

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

Anyone heading to Austria this week?

I am due to go over on 29th. I have my digital vaccine cert and also received my booster last week...... but I won't have an updated vaccine cert, only the hse card with my name and date of my booster and the vaccine administered.

I hope that our hand written vaccination card will be accepted for entry, as per the revised entry regs. I really don't want to have the extra cost of a PCR test to travel over....

Would love to hear from anyone travelling this week using their vaccine booster card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Not going this week but going on the 8th of Jan. Will be going unless flights are cancelled, all of us 2 jabbed and boostered. Can you leave any feed back please.

Will post an update when I get there.

I presume you are intending to use the booster card you received as proof also. With a bit of luck someone going out this week will see this ans post an update!!! 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Any one boostered still thinking of heading to Austria in Jan? Anyone with contingencies in mind if they cant fly back home as planned ie. get a +ve pcr while over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Hi,

Anyone in Austria at the moment? The HSE covid tracker app still only shows double jab. No indication that they'll add the booster to it. I find it hard to believe the Austrians will accept a card with hand written info to say I have the booster. I'm due to head to Austria at the end of January and again in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

I got my GP to write a cert so it looks more official than the card.

Austrian tourist website says:

"Is the EU digital COVID certificate compulsory?

No. Wherever proof of vaccination or past infection is required, this can also be provided via other recognised documents (vaccination certificate or test certificate in German or English, etc."

Won't be able to test it out for another few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I tweeted the HSE to ask are we getting updated vaccine certs post booster and they replied to say "The government is currently looking into this". We're travelling to Austria at the end of January, would prefer to have an updated cert rather than a doctors note.

Hi guys,

Updating you all of my experience of travel to and returning from Austria this week. 29 December to 3rd January.

2 adults, both fully vaccinated and with boosters(vaccine cards only to prove same). We did not need to fill in a locator form for Austria.

Flew with Lufthansa Dub to Munich. Asked to show Eu digital C19 cert at Dublin airport. Asked for same at passport control on arrival in Munich, also asked if staying in Germany -no, going to Austria, and asked how we were travelling to Austria -rental car.

No check at Austrian border, there is a check point area on motorway, but was not manned when we crossed.

Accomodation, ski ticket cash desk and most bars and restaurants requested our Eu digital cert and scanned same. No issues.

Booked an antigen online via https://www.tirol.gv.at/gesundheit-vorsorge/infekt/coronavirus-covid-19-informationen/tirol-testet

Very simple and efficient. Results sent by text 30 mins after test. Link included to download the cert.

Returning home, as above for German border crossing. Airport staff in Munich checked our covid test and Irish PLF. No issues. But 2 passengers were refused boarding as did not have all correct documents.

Irish passport control asked for our covid tests.

It was a great 4 days skiing, but the test was on our minds!! Have a week booked on 22nd Jan also, but not sure if we will travel. Might be tempting fate

Just back from Austria, were not asked to prove our booster. We had our vaccine cards only to prove if asked. Full post above on the trip and what was requested where etc.

Post below on my trip hope it might help ease your mind.

Thanks for that @slighty have eased my mind a little traveling Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Did you have to get PCR tests before flying to Munich?

How much were the PCR tests in Austria?

All tests in Austria are free you just need to book. You can gargle test every day if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Thanks for this. Heading to Austria via Munich in a couple of weeks so this is very useful information.

Presume you didn't have to register/fill out a passenger locator form for Germany as you were heading straight to Austria from Munich airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

How did you find it as regards ski lifts, bars and restaurants sb ? Are masks required ? Did any restrictions put a damper on your enjoyment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks dzer2, great info. I’m also wondering how bars and restaurants are working out?

Masks when queing for gondolas and lifts and in tramsit on same if in mixed groups. Obvs if only in gondola or lift with your onw group/ family they could be removed once in transit.

Bars and restaurants; Masks required once you leave your table/seat to use bathroom or go out to smoking area etc. 99% of places we frequented scanned our Eu C19 certs. All shut at 10. The staff literally clear the places at 9:55.

We mostly had beers outdoors on the mountain on way home, staying at last hut till 5:30/6.

Bars and restaurants; Masks required once you leave your table/seat to use bathroom or go out to smoking area etc. 99% of places we frequented scanned our Eu C19 certs. All shut at 10. The staff literally clear the places at 9:55.

We mostly had beers outdoors on the mountain on way home, staying at last hut till 5:30/6. Then few beers at dinner and that was it..... tame enough, but we usually don't go crazy on Apres..... not able for it amy more 🙈🙈

I tried to fill the german form as a just in case, but it does not allow you to put an Austrian address in.... like I said, passport control in Munich asked about where I was going and how I was getting there, but they did not ask to see my booking info or any other proof that I was transiting through Germany to Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Many thanks for the info.. Heading out with group to Soll via Munich on the 22nd Jan , so this helps. New travel certs should be on the way and no tests for those vaccined , so things getting less stressful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Requirement for negative test to re-enter Ireland dropped and the booster to be added to our vaccine pass, things looking pretty good now. I actually wish I was going sooner than March before the next variant emerges and the governments of Europe absolutely lose their shít again.

Just arrived in Austria straight through passport control then a stop for the covid cert. They accepted the booster card no problem

• Advertisement

Advertisement