Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, freezing works ok. The important thing to do is to avoid getting moisture in the bag. If the bags are still unopened, you should be good. Otherwise, I'd put the entire coffee bag in a freezer bag and then freeze it. If you have a vacuum sealer, even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Sound. Their unopened 250g bags. Likely will be a couple weeks before I get to open them so I'll pop them in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Got a nice selection from Coffee Angel (250g Christmas half price and triple pack of 100gs )and a Timemore C2 grinder from Bear .Had a quick sample when I came in from work .Even smelling the grinds drew a defloral style sigh and as for the taste ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm thinking about trying single origin but it seems a lot of them are geared towards filter coffees, is that a big deal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually buy imbibe coffee. i know the owner, so you might say i'm biased, but i got to know him after i started buying it. it's good stuff, and they give a decent portion of profits to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'll expose myself as a philistine with this question I reckon, but if here goes anyway.....I presume most people on this thread don't drink milky drinks?

I'm a flat white guy, wondering if people who drink milky drinks would bother with the higher end beans? I presume there's decreasing returns on spend, and a solid fresh bean would do the trick for most drinking flat whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

I start the day with flat whites Mon-Fri and generally stick to Sam (Cloud Picker). Maybe a little boring for some but I just want something that I can put together reliably when half asleep at 6:00am and this coffee blend does the job really well.

I save the fancy filter stuff for the weekends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

10% off the new WCC Vietnam bean - it's superb!

( code: Viet ) until Sunday 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Spent 25+years only drinking milky coffees, ever since i got me a delongi and started to taste the varieties of coffee - mostly the cheaper end of things, but its fairly freshly roasted so that s a plus - Now I only drink americano black or sometimes with a dash of milk,

I might only make a latte once a month.

I know this is not answering your question but i thought i would throw it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Bought the Nina from Artessa back in December and I'm finding it really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I drink flat white or cappuccino 2-3 times per week, but americano 12-15 times.

i think a single origin (expensive) bean, is not only a waste of money, (for milky coffee) but does not taste as good as a cheaper blended bean in a milk coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

Hi Folks - I got a Gaggia Cadorna bean to cup machine over Christmas. I got some Lavazza Super Crema with the machine (which were fine to my taste buds!) but I'm looking to get some beans locally. I read that I should avoid oily beans with a bean to cup machine , so would anyone have any good recommendation's ?

I tend to drink flat white's predominantly.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

Ponaire's European Blend is not a bad choice for flat whites or cappuccinos. https://www.ponaire.ie/product/european-blend/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

You are absolutely right,most of the fresh espresso blends will do .

You might switch to espresso/americano some day,so you could appreciate single origin then otherwise you just wasting expensive beans.

Same as mixing Middleton Very Rare whiskey with Coke,I guess.

God that analogy brings it home....the horror!

I really enjoy espresso, I'm just drinking flat whites at the moment.

I think I'm slightly worried about getting hooked on coffee. To borrow ypur analogy, having the milky version feels like pints rather than shorts!

And just so you know, it's a rabbit hole, you'll soon have a list of things you need for better coffee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Americano definitely better way to enjoy coffee .Diluting espresso shots with water rather than milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

that's an even better analogy when you think about Natural Process coffees, I've just opened a bag on Square Mile Nensibo, from Ethiopia, and the aroma from the bag is a beautiful cherry liqueur sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Try making an espresso and add a small amount of cream, rather than milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Cortado is my latest discovery. Espresso and just a wee drop of steamed milk. Savage stuff! :)

• Advertisement

I'll do that, sounds like it could be delicious, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What's people thinking of the coffee angel blends that were on sale recently.

Do far tried 2 of them in my b2c as americanos and fairly unimpressed. Needing 2 shots to get any flavour from them.

Can't remember which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

I have tried the Su Nollag and the Forsa Gala also americanos in a B2C and I find them both delicious, but I did have to set the grind to a low setting, lower than for many of the previous beans placed in the machine.

Sorry to be so cheeky, but is your machine clean. I had a water cup a few weeks ago on a different bean and I managed to dislodge afterwards a lump of grinds blocking the chute from the beans grinder to the infuser. Seemed to be blocking the full extents of grinds getting to the infuser.

I had the Su Beatha as a filter and it was lovely - a nice solid bean, even if nothing unusual or standout, which is what I kind of expect from a house blend to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah, I'm coming to the end of my Su Beatha and Pog Mhilis, both were solid enough in the Clever and Aeropress.

I bought them because they were half price and I was ordering a Clever from CA anyway, and because my Square Mile order had gotten lost.

I'll say this, they are better than supermarket beans, but can't hold a candle to the Square Mile single origin stuff, which is to be expected.

It's roasted / sourced from Bailies so probably a comparable level to their blends like Pendo, Umbra etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's more geared towards filter though. I'd say its miles and miles better than supermarket coffee, if you want to compare square mile SO, maybe try one of the coffee angel SO's, they don't have many but what they have tend to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FriutJiuce

Anyone know if buying Velo coffee directly from their website it's freshly roasted? Can't really find much if they put a roast date on their coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

They put a best before date rather than a roasted date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

50% off at The Old Barracks Roastery for next couple of days, use code VALENTINE

Advertisement