Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Had an order ready to go and reached a payment system called Coinbase...Is that legit ?Can you use credit card /Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I see you found paypal, but just wanted to add that coinbase is legit, it'll allow you to pay with crypto if you have a coinbase account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yeah I wonder is this really premium level coffee or have the prices been hiked up for the sake of the sale?

The KG prices are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Haven't used them before but thought I'd try out the house blend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got 4 bags for 63e.

I remember having a coffee in there shortly after they opened but the beans were expensive so this is a nice deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Their normal pricing defines rip off Ireland. I'd suspect this affects their sale volumes and that occassionaly they are forced to a discount to clear sacks of old beans.

Can green coffee beans go moldy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

That comment is quite unfair. Yes they are expensive, and being a newbie to all this, I haven't had a chance to purchase from other vendors yet- but their pricing is similar to coffee angel (for house blends) for example

(I've no connection to them, beyond having had a coffee there a couple of times)

• Advertisement

Their price for the Sage Barista Touch is €250 more than from Amazon Germany. Thats 26.4% more expensive.

Their Costa rica is €22 for 250g. My last order contained a bean from there and it was €5.85

Their Indonesian is €17 for 250g. My last order contained a bean from there and it was €11.15

Their Ethiopian is €18; mine was €5.62

Their Ugandan is €18, my Rwandan was €9.03

Ponaire is in the next town over, a 14min drive due to the slow road. Their Ethiopian is €8 cheaper a bag. Their Java is €8 a bag cheaper than the Indonesian. Their Honduran is €6 a bag cheaper, their Costa Rican is a staggering €14 a bag cheaper.

https://www.ponaire.ie/

My comment was perfectly fair - in some cases their coffees are almost 300% more expensive.

It's a semi free world, by all means buy stuff from them if you want. In the same vein, I'll say what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Not sure if it's just me but I find coffee in Ireland to be quite pricey especially compared to the UK. Possibly down to the large number of coffee roasters so they have to remain competitively priced or perhaps the exchange rate becoming more favourable recently, but there's a lot of decent coffee about for under £10 for a bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

old barracks are certainly expensive (and by a margin) to other irish vendors. they are also pretty clear as to the type of shop/supplier they want to be, no kids, huge focus on the experience, high cost. it's a specific business model, and if it works for one of them more power to them.they're the closest roaster to me, but as cnocbui mentioned though ponaire only just up the road and in the past year i have bought 2kg a month from ponaire(a few Badger and dodo purchases for variety), and not a single coffee from the old barracks,

My last order was from the Czech republic. Lovely coffe but the shipping ended up being a bit too costly and took too long. I'm hoping to get around to putting in an order today with my more usual roaster which is located in the Black Forrrest area of Germany. Another frequented roaster is in Luxembourg. I find the quality of these suppliers products to be more consistentently high with no dissapointments.

These days I only order from Irish roasters when it's some significant special pricing and I happen to be about to put in an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Who do you usually order from, might try myself for next order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Interesting. I'm assuming it's keenly priced taking shipping into account as well?

I just placed an order with them today for 3.5 Kg: https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop?page=2

Worked out at an average €31.85 per Kg, inlcuding the postage and tax and included two of their most expensive offerings (those are 500g prices on their site, not 250g) Postage of €5 for 3.5 Kg is super nice.

The other one is Mondo Del Caffe nominally in Luxembourg but seems likely a German concern: https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/

Shipping cost is higher but the choice is far larger. Their current €412 per Kg offering I have never seen before and is very unusal for them. That has got to be taking the piss?

"We are very pleased to have succeeded in purchasing a small quantity of Bourbon Pointu / Grand Cru from the island of Réunion. We received 10 kg of this exceptional coffee. About 8 kg of roasted coffee is unfortunately only available from this rarity.

For several decades it has not been possible to get this coffee at all. It is only thanks to the efforts of dedicated farmers that coffee cultivation on the island has experienced a kind of revival since the 2000s. But what makes Bourbon Pointu so special?

For one thing, it is the unique climate of the island of Réunion - with a mixture of sun and rainfall that is ideal for coffee cultivation - and the terroir. Bourbon Pointu is planted on the slopes of the Piton des Neiges volcano. The variety / plant species used (Bourbon Point de Réunion) is extremely rare - and for a short time was considered practically extinct. This variety is naturally low in caffeine with a moderate body in the cup and finely fruity, flowery characteristics.

Yet even King Louis XV and his court particularly appreciated coffee from Réunion around the year 1700. The whole soul of the small island nation would express itself in the cup of coffee, which was considered particularly fine and multi-faceted even then.

The Bourbon Pointu is still harvested by hand and then fully washed. This ensures that only ripe cherries enter the preparation process. After processing, the pergaminos are dried in the sun, then peeled and packed in boxes or jute bags for transport to the roastery.

Réunion Bourbon Pointu Grand Cru is a coffee with a protected designation of origin. The coffee is checked again with a near-infrared spectrometer before export / dispatch to the roastery. If all chemical values and the quality of the green coffee are correct, it may be sold with the designation Réunion Bourbon Pointu. Grand Cru is the highest quality level.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)"

Sorry guys, that's still a pass. I wouldn't care if every bean was hand wrapped in gold leaf.

I'm not so much after low price as I am high and consistent quality at a fair price. I have bought several different coffees from Irish roasters in an order, and been disappointed at a lack of differentiation in the taste. Adams and Russel in the UK was like that too. Their Tiger Stripes was superb, but then the other 3 would be indistinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

They can. And indeed, a 50% discount across the board sale is rather unusual, as it appears the coffee is yet to be roasted. However, comparing bean prices only by country of their origin is too much of a generalisation. There can be a world of difference in quality between two different sources from the same country. Looking forward to receiving my first order from them to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Ordered 1kg of house blend from Barracks, €23 shipped. Just to see what it’s like. Yet to be shipped!

• Advertisement

Have to come in and sing praises of Old Barracks .Inspired by code on this thread I ordered 250g house blend and a sample pack . Imagine my surprise when 1kg of house blend was delivered ( hopefully not mad m’s from post above !). I rung them and they said I could keep it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkforever

Has anyone had some of Stone Valleys coffee? Looking to try something different this month

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've had a few bags of Stone Valley and they were both very good, reminded me of 3FE. I had one bag that was very light and almost tea-like.

Ordered a bag of 1kg Coffee Angel Su Beatha yesterday. Free shipping in the Dublin area.

On the cost of Irish coffee vendors in general, while some or all of them probably struggle to compare with larger European vendors price-wise, I am usually prepared to cut them some slack. They are operating with high enough costs, they're usually small businesses and there's a distinction between charging on that basis and it necessarily being a "rip off".

At the end of the day I suppose I prioritise supporting Irish businesses and keeping the chain as local as possible. I don't particularly have an interest in saving a relatively small amount of money, sending that money out of the country, and flying in the product from a couple thousand miles away. Same way, a book or a piece of electronics might be cheaper on Amazon but if I can avoid going that route I will.

Someone above also made the point that you can't track value on the basis of weight and nationality of the coffee alone. Agree with this, for obvious reasons. To be able to make a meaningful comparison it would need to be the same bean from the same producer. Even then, there could be local explanations for price differences - is it fair to compare what a small Irish business might sell that coffee for, compared to a larger European company than has more buying power? Of course we all have budgets and that's relevant to where we spend our money, but I would probably be guided by how much of a price difference there is in that case.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I ordered and got no email or nothing, checked spam, nothing there.

Anyone else still waiting for an order and heard nothing?

The 3.5 Kg I ordered from Germany arrived today. A sight for sore eyes

They had some issues around promo codes not being applied and extended their dates.Maybe give them a phone call.I described above how I got 1kg for the price of 250g .Lady on phone said they were flat out busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I had ordered for collection, got a confirmation email but nothing else. Called in Friday, the manager said it could be late this week due to the volume of orders they got.

edit - got my collection notification this morning

Post edited by ablelocks on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Has anyone purchased Friedhats beans in a Dublin bricks and mortar shop? Spent the last month working in Amsterdam and I've just seen that the postage for a tub or two to Ireland is more than the tub itself 😄 I left it too late to bring some back unfortunately.

The postage cost would cover several Kg, which would bring the relative cost down. A freezer would be your friend here. I buy 3 - 3.5 Kg at a time to economise on shipping and freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jeberle23

I've seen them in Clement and Pekoe before - not sure if it's a regular thing though!

Advertisement