Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2042

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah it is much better. I notice loads of official experiences for 2042 popping up in portal menues. For hardcore conquest and a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the problem is that everyone wants a different version of every game they play. It was for a while grand, BF had it's style, CoD had it's style, and other shooters had their own fanbases and differences. Now, every mainstream game is trying to be everything to everyone and alienating nearly all the original fans. I will say, this BF is more like CoD than any other one, whereas Vanguard feels less like CoD and like something new (and horrendous). Fortnite is still to blame, they all want to be Fortnite rich. Warzone got some of that, and now everyone wants the success of Fortnite/Warzone.

It's why I want future war stuff, give me IW/AW 2, or BF2152. There's nothing to compare it against in real life, so the colourful skins and stuff don't look as out of place. The hardcore WW shooters really require proper squad play to enjoy, so that alienates a lot of people who don't like/can't squad up.

I also think that these games are listening too much to streamers. Vanguard specifically feels like it was designed so that those who play nothing but it can easily be the boss and wipe the floor with everyone else. It just feels too hectic and designed for people to take advantage of OP weapons. I said it before, and I'll say it again, every weapon in a MP game that can be levelled up should have a limit. Once you hit that limit, you're forced to use other weapons, and so on until they're all locked due to max use and then you have to prestige to unlock everything again. Would force people out of their comfort zones and prevent OP weapon abuse. But "teh fanz" wouldn't be happy and it would probably bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think it says enough about the game that the last comment is from 12 days ago.

Even now I find that if i need to go grab the controller from the other room to control vehicles I just don't bother and fire up dayz instead.

I wonder how much of their playbase they've lost at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

on steam that many, I still play it most nights, its a good game but needs work.

Got my tier one skin for Falcke (2400 revives) 😁

The numbers are not good at all.

From a peak of 100k at launch to literally a month later down to 19k is shockingly bad for a Battlefield title.

No matter how you spin it,,,,that is an absolute disaster for them.

I'd love to see their origin numbers to see how far its dropped down,.

• Advertisement

Its free on steam for the weekend and the numbers havent budged.

hell look at this,,, Farming simulator...I **** you not has 2.5 times the player count.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To be fair steam accounts for very little of the playerbase, the vast majority play it via origin or ea app.

Farming sim is actually a hugely popular game too.

Having said that its a **** show for real, clearly that game had zero testing and was vastly over ambitious plus the devs have very obviously lost touch with what a BF game is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I had been having a bit of fun with the Gun Game in portal, but they removed it and replaced it with some BS elf stabby game, which literally did not work. I joined a couple of games and they were all stuck in an endless game over state

There's no voice chat on BF2042 but the text chat is 100% people talking about how sh1t the game is

I bought Hell Let Loose and have had a few games

I really like the voice chat where you can hear the people close to you and cooperate with them. This game manages to have a hundred players on the map at once, without feeling like the map is empty or overly crowded

The one thing about it is, it is not as easy to pick up and start playing, and unless you have a couple of hours spare and no distractions, you're not gonna be able to play it properly

From things I have read the devs had clear ideas and intentions but were over ruled by execs and the shipping date was the shipping date.

Would imagine this time next year it will be amazing same as allthe recents BFs.

• Advertisement

Hell let Loose is my go to FPS for well over a year now, nothing has arrived to change that.

I agree its not easy to pick up and play for a half hour, you should expect to play for an hour for a single round atleast unless its a steamroll which rarely happens.

Theres also quite a bit to learn about how the squad system and roles work but its not too bad, plenty of beginner guides on YT.

BF2042 can be enjoyable , as dreamers said above in time it could be excellent.

I went back to BF4, PS4 graphics ain't the best but it plays better. I'll keep an eye on 2042, I hope they can turn it around with a few updates. BF4 had a rocky launch to say the least but they fixed it and I've put hundreds of hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

History repeating itself a bit. The games gotten a 34% discount a month after release.

BFV got a 50% discount for former BF players a month after release and then a full 50% discount shortly after that for the Christmas sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Gutted I paid full price for this on launch for xbox. €89.99! The game hasn't worked for the last week and still lags horribly at times.

Much better tonight. 64 players is way better. There isn't always people behind you. It feels like a battle with a front line.

Rush modes now across 2042, 1942, BFBC2 and BF3 maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hoping to get this at some stage having come from BF4 and really enjoyed that, but will probably wait until new year and further fixes.

When it works is there the guts of a great game there or even if and when fully fixed would it still be crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

2042, should be forgotten about and the developers should put all their time and work in to Portal.. More updated maps and guns and items from the older game should be the way forward, 2042 maps and game play are not doing it for me.

• Advertisement

Played some more over the weekend and im pretty sure if the game was released in todays state it would not have gotten half the negativity.

It really is so much better especially the gunplay, its far from perfect ofcourse but anyone who hasnt played in awhile and still owns it really should check it out.

One thing that bothers me is sticking with your squad only works on portal.

That needs to be fixed asap.

Voice comms needs to be added asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I played the free weekend . I had some fun moments , enjoyed the gunplay. I have owned and enjoyed all entries to the series from 1942 onwards , but this one needs a little more time in the oven.

Conquest has always been my favourite mode . The 128 player in 2042 is not right yet, spawning is a mess with too many people left to run huge distances , what's wrong with having more ATVs or other very light vehicles ? Squads just aren't working in general for me , orders never given , never working as a team etc.

Anyway going to give this one some more time and come back to it in a few months.

Had three really good games tonight. All conquest 64 players. I did get into a game with half decent squad with a decent pilot, tank driver and those open to reviving.

It is a lot more complex than previous titles that were very basic..have a gun for infantry and RPG or C4 for a tank.

Tonight I was set up with a dog ranger and the gun turret. Both keeping an eye out for enemies and spotting them. I could stay in cover and pop out for the killer shot.

Managed to stay out of the churn and spent long periods playing which was great. They could still do with doubling the TTK so you can still easily get kills with 4-6 hits but you could also have a chance to escape and live to fight again.

its still awful. I say minimum 6 months before they get to where it should be.

Squad play is a joke, no ingame viop...4 player squads needs to be increased to minimum 6 at least especially with 128 players.

The vanilla maps are simply awful. Not one of them has anything good about them.

I wouldnt say its awful as it has its moments and the gunplay is very nice but i agree with everything you mention and , i havent touched 128 player since they introduced 64 player and i wont be playing 128 again.

Its gonna take a lot of work to get it where it needs to be.

Funny how the general consensus on Halo infinite multiplayer is its very good yet it has had a 68% drop off in playerbase while 2042 has had 71% drop off but apparently has regained another 18% recently thus making halo infinite seeing a larger drop off but nobody goes on about that :)

The game modes don't support 128 players.

If they had mini objectives outside of capture a point then you could end up with a decent 128 player mode.

You could even incorporate hazard zone into it a little, and drop satellites (with hard drives to retrieve) in random locations to fight over. The more intel your team retrieved from the satellites the more resources to call in back up you would get. If you got a tank or two extra it could really turn the tide.

One of the reasons Warzone is so popular his that it offers something to do for players that are not great at the shooting part. You can spend 15 minutes running around getting loot and doing the objectives (supply runs, recon etc) and never fire a shot in anger. But you still feel like you are playing, helping, and in turn having fun.

Easiest fix for 128 (which does work BF3 proved that :D ) is 5 Objectives per map, the Discarded 64 Man layout would be perfect for 128

Absolute carnage in the 3 mid points and 2 outlying ones balance the map.

Mostly play 64 man contquest and 128 man breakthrough.

Another thing they should fix is the 2042 Rush, why is it only 16v16 ? I have yet to see a team successfully win a round on defence, one decent squad in a team of 16 will always cap the points.

• Advertisement

I've basically given up on 2042 and resigned to hoping the next version being better. Which I highly doubt. I think Batttlefield's best years are behind it.

I downloaded 4 last night and trying to decide between that or 5.

Anyone playing any of the older battlefields?

Advertisement