Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2042

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Improvement for sure but the maps are still rubbish , they just made wide open spaces and hyped up 128 players , give me half decent maps smaller scale and 64 player over this any day.

Its why i enjoy portal so much more than 2042.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep the maps are just utter shite... its just groups of people fighting battles all over the map and no large congregations like in previous battlefields for choke points etc. To me it just feels like I'm playing COD single player.

I just play 2-3 games of it and then kick back to Dayz for a bit more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I see they are making a deal of having twice as many players than BFV did at this point in time, but no mention of sales.

Which says a lot because even 1.5x the sales of BFV would be absolutely massive, but they've focused on player count thus far.

So I'm guessing a considerable number of those players are probably 10 hour free trial players, probably fair amount of people who bought, played, refunded.

It would be interesting to know actual sales figures. Because ultimately how well this does will dictate the future for the franchise in terms of core game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Got a cheap copy for Xbox one so went for it. Hadn't read anything at all about the game .

Cant understand the no proper score board and general lack of stats. Very disappointing. The UI is very clunky and feels unresponsive.

Also felt like my player was dragging his heels when running. Just felt a little off. Will have a few more games later but first impressions aren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont think its the maps that are broken, I think its the piss poor spawning system that is making things a lot worst, spawning is waay too open on the map and the vehicle call in system means you are never too far from some sort of vehicle dropping in. The result is it feels like someone always firing on you regardless of where you spawn.

Its not surprising, a lot of people were calling out potential issues with 128 players and traditional BF modes. Hell it was my very first reaction to the reveal (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117387924/#Comment_117387924)

I am confused by the sheer pointlessness of the sector mechanic as it currently implemented. It has no real role beyond allowing DICE to not need a letter F and beyond for naming points.

Sectors should restrict spawning if to only beacons and squad leads when you dont control the sector and disable vehicle call ins to only sectors you control.

This fixes Breakthroughs awful rooftop spam, It would create actual frontlines on conquest and allow the larger maps to be utilized as they should and not be a near constent spam of vehicles and gunfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont think the AK is fixed or close to it.

Go into Solo /Breakthrough and camp a spot to kill AI. You will find out exactly what this "bloom" hit reg issue fairly fast.

I use that to try out guns and some are perfectly fine but the AK is probably the worst for this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Good thing I spent an hour last night trying to unlock the scope and some attachments for it

Could barely hit anyone. But then that's me most of the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The active player stats on Steam aren’t making for pretty reading, they’re trending down big time. They’ve already halved since release. I know it’s only one platform, but it makes you wonder if it’s indicative of a wider problem.

Also just coming back to a point I raised during the early access surrounding destructible environments. I think we were all hoping that Orbital was an exception and that other maps would have much more destruction. They don’t though, it feels like destructible environments have taken a major step backwards. It really bothers me.

Is there any talk of them re-enabling XP for Portal servers? Surely there is a way the XP farming can be stopped (does it really matter anyway I suppose?).

Post edited by Sierra Oscar on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I picked this up on offical release. I've played maybe a few hours of it. I just can't get into it. I thought I'd be hooked after the terrible Vanguard, but no. Shame, as I was looking forward to it as I enjoyed the Beta, but like others are saying above, it's too open, too big, too spread out, and just a pain tbh. 128 players would be good, but they shouldn't have increased the map size. And they really need to allow you to be able to hop into any car you see to drive on, because I spend a lot of time either running. It has the same problem that CoD has, you can be shot from anywhere at any time, no longer feels like an objective game.

I'll give it a few more go's over the next week or two, but I can probably see myself trading it in and getting it once it comes to EA Access.

Its not in a pretty state at the moment. They're promising some big improvements in the next couple of days with the next release. They'd better be good, because even after the 2nd patch, I've still been kicked out of about half of the games I played in

The game was definitely half baked, nowhere near finished. There is no way in hell they should have released with only 2 modes, no chat, no server browser, all the bugs etc

They're nowhere even close to beginning the first live service season that they sold as part of the pre-order benefits (which was absolutely completely 100% not worth it)

There are no missions, objectives, tasks, there is no game progression at all apart from grinding a few guns which were feckin broken at launch.

Very poor Dice. They'll lose players unless the next couple of patches are massive improvements that bring in a lot of those missing features and deliver some of the promise of a next gen BF game

• Advertisement

agreed with all the comments...the maps are horrendous...even with 128 players on the map you really feel alone in areas of it.

i even bought a 3080 for this on pc and I'm playing more dayz than BF2042 when in fact i thought I'd struggle to find time to play Dayz.

I can barely muster enough interest in completing one game in bf2042 before switching to dayz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've refunded it on Steam, I'm not drawn towards playing it at all at the minute. I reckon it'll go on sale soon enough so might pick it up down the line if some of the mechanics have been sorted and whatnot.

First time I've ever felt like this with a game in the series and I've been playing them on release since BF 1942.

There are a lot of bots starting to appear in servers which is alarming considering we're only two weeks post release.

Big patch coming tomorrow, too little to late?

Even if it is, I don't see it as a bad thing IF it's the point at which EA/Dice finally wake up and realise that the days of releasing half-baked, buggy games and expecting people to lap it up while they slowly fix them, are long gone at this point, particularly in an increasingly crowded market.

It's unfortunate that it had to be 2042, but when it released as it did in such a bad state, there's no-one to blame but themselves. I'm not denying that people can't have lots of fun with it, but it was in a wretched state at launch, and is still in a bad spot.

I also don't think EA deserve the blame as much as Dice. I somehow really doubt that Dice made BF1 - and considering they acknowledged that EA weren't thrilled with the idea - and it went on to be the best selling in the franchise and critically lauded, only for EA to suddnely demand total creative control over BFV and BF42 as well.

They should stop plotting to steal the fanbase of COD, Apex and god knows what else in an attempt to wring every last possible cent out of the playerbase their main priority and focus back on what they do well, actual Battlefield games.

Just when you think it can't get any worse.

jesus christ...i was gonna boot it up tonight to see how the patch is but I think I'll just stick to DayZ for the next few months,.to think I splashed on a grand for a 3080 for this shite.

Interesting they have announced big changes today. Vince Zampella is taking over the franchise.

https://www.polygon.com/22814230/battlefield-2042-ea-dice-vince-zampella-connected-universe

16 man rush in 2042 is good but in fairness I was the attacking team for 7 rounds in a row and it was a slaughter!!!

Someone needs to rethink those mcom placements.

I was getting all excited as Titanfall 2 was a damn good game..until I read about their world building and narrative bullshit. So basically apex legends with a backstory and pink tanks etc and lots of microtransactions.

• Advertisement

Battlefield 1

Battlefield 2042

I think I need to find a new franchise

Anything decent on Xbox?

Series S/X or older gen?

Hell Let Loose is a good call but a lot more hardcore than BF. Enlisted is a decent half-way point. They're both WW2, otherwise Insurgency Sandstorm might fit the bill, that's another sort of half-way house between sim and arcade and in a modern setting.

Series S, Might give hell let loose a go. I don't mind the hardcore games, played the original insurgency on PC when it was a Halflife mod and liked that so Might give it a go too.

I think EA are just going to be milking Battlefield for microtransactions for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it blows up in their faces

World War 3 is only €12.99 on steam early access, while i havent played myself ive watched a good lot of streams and by all accounts its a quality game, pretty much everyone raving about the gunplay.

I might give that a shout as much and all as I love Enlisted and playing BFV or a bit of COD, I'm still itching for something to fill the void that 2042 was supposed to cater to.

I dunno (100% aware i started the thread on it 3 years ago raving about it) its good but they took out some of the better stuff, its only 20v20 now but the maps are the same size and the customisation has dropped as they intend to sell cosmetics and season passes.

Anyone that owns gets a veteran pass but dunno something fishy about that new publisher, pauses the game which was good for 2 years and brings it back with the same 3 maps and less features.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've heard WW3 is disappointing alright. If you want a BF4 type game just fire up BF4 it still looks great on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Rush in 2042 is 16v16 and much better.

Completely true, mind-boggling that a game almost 10 years old is better than 2042 but at the same time you get that unscratchable itch for a new game as well.

• Advertisement

Dare i say it but tonight was by far the most enjoyment i got from the game, rush 16V16 is a Godsend.

Advertisement