Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If I remember correctly, Golden Globes winners were strong candidates for Oscar nominations but not necessarily Oscar wins.

I thought I read somewhere that Nightmare Alley was tipped for some. Strange not seeing it listed at all in the Globes winners. Maybe it wasn't eligible to apply

looking at the films its a pretty piss poor selection for Best picture this year. A lot of decent films, but nothing great. Belfast was hardly groundbreaking stuff. Good to see Succession pulling the TV awards though, light years ahead of anything else recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only Oscar story I give a **** about this year is the potential of Drive My Car as a dark horse. It has been quietly sweeping the critics' award so there's an actually good chance it could make the best picture list. A Ryusuke Hamaguchi film being a genuine Oscar contender would be a beautiful cap to an astounding four-film run from one of the best working directors. And a very different type of film to a more crossover title like Parasite as well.

https://collider.com/drive-my-car-best-film-2021-national-society-of-film-critics/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Can't believe The Power of the Dog Sh1t did so well. Homophobic bore-fest IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

SAG nominations

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Caitríona Balfe (“Belfast”)  

Cate Blanchett (“Nightmare Alley”)  

Ariana DeBose (“West Side Story”)

Kirsten Dunst (“The Power of the Dog”)  

Ruth Negga (“Passing) 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Ben Affleck (“The Tender Bar”)  

Bradley Cooper (“Licorice Pizza”)  

Troy Kotsur (“CODA”)  

Jared Leto (“House of Gucci”)  

Kodi Smit-McPhee (“The Power of the Dog”) 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Jessica Chastain (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)  

Olivia Colman (“The Lost Daughter”)  

Lady Gaga (“House of Gucci”) 

Jennifer Hudson (“Respect”)  

Nicole Kidman (“Being the Ricardos”)  

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Javier Bardem (“Being the Ricardos”)  

Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Power of the Dog”) 

Andrew Garfield (“Tick, Tick … Boom!”) 

Will Smith (“King Richard”)  

Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”) 

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

“Belfast” (Focus Features)  

“CODA” (Apple Original Films) 

“Don’t Look Up” (Netflix)  

“House of Gucci” (MGM/United Artists Releasing)  

“King Richard” (Warner Bros)  

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/sag-awards-2022-complete-nominations-list-rcna11946

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

No mention of Ciaran Hinds there for a supporting nod, after the Irish press told us he should be in the running come awards time.

I wonder has Lady Gaga over taken Kristen Stewart in the best actress race

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Stewart was overlooked for the SAGs I think? Haven't seen Spencer yet myself, but there was a lot of praise for her in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought it was very good, interesting and different you could tell same director as Jackie. She was brilliant in it imo

• Advertisement

Colman is becoming like Streep, will always get nominated but she is a talented actress

Pete Davidson in talks to host

Can only be politics and money that Stewart wasn't nominated for Spencer. The good ol Oscars.

Mahershala Ali a contender for Swan Song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Can't stand Cumberbatch so have managed to dissuade the Mrs from watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

I neither like nor dislike Colman, but I hold it against her that she got the Oscar Rachel Weisz should have gotten for The Favourite. Feel hers was the real leading performance in that.

You hold it against Colman that she was opted for selection in lead role in a film revolving around Queen Anne where she in fact played Queen Anne?? Weisz already the recipient of an Oscar so not really a big deal and I'm sure some people would contest she herself stole it from Michelle Williams that year ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's not like she selected herself as winner.

• Advertisement

They selected Regina King in the category Weisz was actually nominated in then. Competent performance in a bang average movie but probably just the tonic the year directly after the whole hashtag Oscarssowhite business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t think it’s in the running for anything but I watched ‘The Tragedy of Macbeth’ recently, and thought it was absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

Jessie Buckley for Best Supporting Actress and "Careen Hinds" for Best Supporting Actor. Not bad for Ireland! Van Morrison also nominated for Best Original Song, and a slew of noms for Belfast in general. Saw it the other day, really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The five Best Actress nominations are completely different to the seven BAFTA nominees for Best Actress. Crazy stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really great to see Drive My Car breaking through into best director and best film. Both Hamaguchi films last year were in my top three favourites of the year, and DMC is quite an unlikely film to feature in either category. A beautiful, thoughtful film deserving of all the praise.

A damn shame some of the best performances of the year were completely overlooked though. Ruth Negga, Simon Rex, Alanna Haim, Renate Reinsve... hell, I even think Catriona Balfe (in a film I didn't like) is a strange omission given some of the competition.

No Lady Gaga

Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye), Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter), Penélope Cruz (Madres Paralelas), Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos) and Kristen Stewart (Spencer)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely to see Penelope Cruz getting a nom well deserved she is terrific in Parallel Mothers.

Ciaran Hinds well deserved a lovely humble fella and a proper character actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can’t believe Denzel got nominated for that awful MacBeth film.

Best Picture

Belfast

Coda

Don’t Look Up

Drive My Car

Dune

King Richard

Licorice Pizza

Nightmare Alley

The Power of the Dog

West Side Story