Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This whole cancel culture myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

what about this one?

In its waning moments, during a Q. and A. part of the call, Gary Garrels, the museum’s longest-tenured curator, was asked about comments attributed to him in a @changethemuseum Instagram post in June. The post recounted that when Mr. Garrels had earlier spoken about “acquisitions by POC artists,” he had added, “Don’t worry, we will definitely still continue to collect white artists.”

Mr. Garrels responded to this on July 7, saying that his comments were “a little bit skewed.” He then explained efforts on “broadly diversifying the collection.”

“We have put a lot of focus,” he continued, “on collecting women, Black artists, first nation, Native, L.G.B.T.Q., Latino and so on.”

He added: “I’m certainly not a believer in any kind of discrimination. And there are many white artists, many men who are making wonderful, wonderful work.”

When a staff member suggested that Mr. Garrels’s comment was equivalent to saying, “All lives matter,” Mr. Garrels responded: “I’m sorry, I don’t agree. I think reverse discrimination — —”

What he said after that was drowned out by gasps and someone saying, “He didn’t say that!”

Many staff members say they recalled remarks he made during a panel discussion about female artists in January in which he spoke about “parity” for women and that it would take time — and added: “The other thing I have to say is I reassured artists we will continue to collect white men. There are a lot of great women artists but also still a lot of great men out there as well.”

After the Zoom meeting, an anonymous group of former museum employees calling themselves xSFMOMA started a petition that drew several hundred supporters and called out Mr. Garrels for using “white supremacist and racist language.” The petition demanded he resign.

Then the museum’s store employees sent an email to the executive staff denouncing Mr. Garrels’s comments as racist. “We are not asking for an apology we’re asking for action and accountability,” the letter said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/arts/design/sfmoma-gary-garrels-resignation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Those of a conservative nature, can you stop being outraged at liberals for a second and answer Medhi's question here?

Could start a thread of its own accord as to whether the attempts to prevent CRT type content being taught in schools is cancel culture or not. I'm guessing Greg and others would say definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The whole tactic of 'cancel culture' is to destroy one's character, to rubbish them in the media, such that they can never recover.

There is no 'myth'. It's a tactic. And it's working.

While some people talk about the 'far right' what is more serious is the 'far left'.

The Far Left have no intention of having a conversation about anything. They're going full on my was is the only way and screw everyone else.

If I were to describe the Far Right VS the Far Left, it would be the Far Right are really bad people, but the Far Left are total nut jobs.

Take your pick.

The Far Left have no intention of having a conversation about anything. 

What version of reality have you been looking at?

The right literally want to stop access to abortion full stop,, they want to stop more accurate teaching of history, they want to ignore climate change, many of them still would like to restrict access to marriage for same sex couples, they want the market to set the rules for society, they want to give more money to police than they do to social care or mental health or education programs, they think people should go in to debt to access life saving healthcare and they react to requests for a conversation about gun control by telling people they can take the guns from their cold dead hands?

What conversations do those on the left not want to have?

Edited to add. Just saw the posts you just put on another thread in response to someone asking for a specific service. You've some neck on you to talk about the Left having no intention of having a conversation about anything and to come out with posts like that. It's the 'accuse others of that which you are guilty' conservative mantra 101 that we see time and time again isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Excommunion isnt what you think it is. Despite popular belief, excommunion isnt a banishment or being thrown out. It is only a temporary time out from the sacraments. No matter what you do, God still has a place for you on the table. Mostly it happens automatically through personal choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Well said.

The problem is that all these social media and tech companies are heavily left wing and employing people straight out of left wing universities so the rules of engagement on these social media sites is naturally based around left wing idealogies.

So anyone not fitting their ideologies or of conservative and right wing thinking is automatically in trouble if expressing their opinion and soon find their voice taken away altogether.

So much for the inclusiveness and we love everyone attitude that the left love to speak of?

It's dangerous territory we have found ourselves in, a few companies control the discourse of the world and it's all through the lens of left wing idealogies and it's their way or the high way.

There is some evidence of a shift away from far left ideologies and the destruction they have caused with so many flooding out of democrat run states like California where LA and San Francisco have become some sort of Dystopian mess into the likes of red states like Texas and Florida.

Wether it's far left or far right far is just too far and there has been no one keeping the far left in line in recent years and they are now harvesting the rotten fruit of their harvest im afraid.

Post edited by arthursway on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The difference between the two is the far right have no mates in media academia or the NGO space ,not so with the far left

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The far right are awash with close chums in politics and the media.

The idea that tech companies are far left is the single stupidest thing I think I've ever read on this site.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

How about this one?

The supposed party of Law and Order not wanting to investigate Jan 6th is pretty telling isn't it.

• Advertisement

I was referring to Ireland, the Irish media is awash with Marxist sympathisers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't believe you. Same guff gets bandied about over here. It's just hysterical intolerance of dissent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It must be exhausting for some folk to be afraid of this mythical “left menace” all the time. Terrified some blue haired enby will jump out from under the bed and force them to kiss a guy.

Probably more afraid they’ll like it.

The tide is turning…

It's a loop. They're told that trans people are going to make sleeping illegal or whatever and then the next day there'll be a new thing to be outraged by like an organisation removing a monument to a slave trader or something irrelevant.

This is what they think is important. When you're at the far end of the spectrum, any dissent cannot be tolerated. You see it couched in terms like "shutting down the debate" for instance as well as not being far right suddenly equates to being far left. Nonsense but extremist thought is a heck of a drug.

I do wonder if these people are all loaded or something. We're in the middle of a pandemic which has devastated the economy and all some people want to talk about is apocryphal misandry or how the bigots they adore are having to face consequences.

H. H. Asquith

That's funny , the intolerance of " dissent " in the Irish media is for any sort of vaguely conservative opinion

H. H. Asquith

The vastly disproportionate level of airtime given to the likes of Paul Murphy and PBP

National women's Council or other Marxist quangos

The endless coverage of DP stories, all with a slant which espouses a view that direct provision is wrong and those residing there should be naturalised

The vastly disproportionate level of airtime given to the likes of Paul Murphy and PBP

Who do you think should be given airtime to counter Paul Murphy and PBP in your view? Be specific please.

What constitutes endless coverage of DP stories? Again, be specific, there's certainly occasional stories, but you used the phrase endless.

Or maybe this one, is this an example of cancel culture?

• Advertisement

the frequency is less important than the editorial line , never once have the media ( and especially RTE ) questioned the validity of the stories of those who reside in DP centres , its portrayed as a given than the people there are 100% genuine refugees fleeing conflict

as for your first question , its not about having someone on to counter paul murphy or a member of PBP , the point is for the level of electoral support those far left TD,s have , they receive a vastly disproportionate level of media airtime

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't consider myself a "conservative", I just don't want art and culture judged by purely political criteria.

Hopefully we will see more private galleries and less "public" institutions.

If I could wave a magic wand and set up my own museum I would have no board, no commitments to "the public interest" whatsoever, and just buy/exhibit works based on aesthetic and historical interest considerations and offer little or no explanation about the selection criteria except to say that it was completely out of the hands of outsiders.

All institutions which have a pretence to the public good are being turned into vehicles for a tendentious form of identity-politics new leftism.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Cancel culture has always existed and will always exist. Now for some reason it seems to be predominately used in conjunction with wokeness even though there has been examples given on his thread of it being used by both the Left and Right. I think die hard supporters of both the Left and Right are blinkered when it comes to that point.

Frequently on here it is said that RTE are only mouthpieces for the government, if that were the case, don't you think that they would be more than capable of countering any narrative about DP being an unpleasant situation? Even if it wasn't on RTE, the government are still more than capable of putting it out there that such stories are exaggerating if not outright false.

RTE nor anyone outside of the asylum application authorities have any right to judge someone's claim as being false. On what basis do you think they are entitled to do so?

In terms of Paul Murphy's airtime, I think he would argue that he is pushing against the tide in terms of the volume of contributors, commentators, journalists in the media that give tacit agreement to things carrying on as normal. There's no shortage of articles talking about the benefits of corporate investment for example. If he is so impactful, why then is he still talking about the same issues without having seen significant, if indeed any change with respect to them over the years. It would seem to me, that the likes of David Quinn is as frequent a commentator on Irish media as Paul Murphy and he has zero electoral justification for being there.

id wager David Quinn holds the same views as a much larger segment of the population than Paul Murphy , I appreciate he is not an elected official but you did bring him up at the end of the day

I provided examples , I suspect you were going to reject whatever i presented

Cherrypicked examples aren't proof and that's even if they're real.

H. H. Asquith

I'd wager the reason he isn't elected is probably because his views aren't as generally accepted as Murphy's are.

• Advertisement

Advertisement