Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

These are among the worst photos of all time. And he tried to make them look professional

https://www.adverts.ie/25890810

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

a graduate from the unkle school of photography

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With a doctorate from mine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

At least I don't have any pretensions 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Speaking of Unk! I saw this and thought of you, how lovely it'd look on your wrist and the shivers it'd send down the spine of the strap mafia here 😜🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That looks like the exact stingray strap I have. Made in Vietnam and all!

Thanks for reminding me. Should put it on a Rolex and take some pics for all you fans of stingray out there 😁

I know it's a millimetre too narrow for the lugs but let's just say it's Bond's style 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You know, I don't hate that 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It’s alright Frank, I hate it enough for us both :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Strap is also an inch short for your wrist given how tight it is!

Just when I think the forum is settled down to watch talk, and good taste and positivity is abounding, you lads keep bringing the stingray back out.

I closed it a bit quick to get the pic in before dusk. There was another hole on the strap but damn those Asians have tiny wrists 🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That explains it! I'm Asian. 🤗 Oh wait, I can't be. I'm far too prone to indolence. 😁

Though we all tended to have smaller wrists in years gone by. Over the years I've collected vintage straps and bracelets in keeping with the era of some of the watches I have(there is no end to this madness) and the stuff of the earlier part of the last century is definitely shorter. If I buy a new strap that's sized average I'm either on the last hole or need to make a new one, with stuff from 80 years plus ago I've got at least three or four adjustment holes to go.

I was reading something years ago where I think it was Harrods who have sizing sales going back over a century and people were much smaller of frame on average, not so much shorter, though we were generally shorter, but just smaller of frame. We've gotten bigger. I don't mean fatter either, just bigger overall. Even our shapes show a trend. There were apparently more women with 'hourglass' figures on average in the past. Diet it seems is the thing. And a lack of childhood illnesses with it. Back in the medieval the rich like the aristocracy and clergy were almost a different species to the poor. They were taller and broader and tended to live longer too. Diet again seem to play a major part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

It's amazing how drastically the human body has changed size wise in such a short period of time (as in 2 generations). As part of another hobby I collect some military and police related items. It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of the uniform items worn by fully grown men 80 to 90 years ago would barely fit a child entering their teens these days. Nowhere is this more obvious than with headgear. The size of the human skull seems to have drastically expanded since my grandparents time.

Nice money if you can get it

Sorry am I missing something there???? Why such a high price?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Received a couple of straps yesterday, only opened them today and looks like 1 is not complete?

The grey/orange stripe, missing a buckle? Compare to black one.

I have one exactly the same as the grey / orange one so don’t think anything is missing from it .That said I’ve never been able to get it to fit comfortable so don’t wear it .

Hmm that's odd alright Ni. I've had a couple of these, the first I saw them was on the MWR forum. IIRC they were French navy straps originally. Any I've seen were like your black one. TBH I don't know how you could even use your grey/orange one comfortably. 🤔 Well all you could do is hook it into the buckle I suppose, but as S noted not comfortable. Though I stuck mine in a drawer as TBH even the correct ones I found uncomfortable.

Down the years I've had a couple of strap fails, including some high quality ones. EG way back I got a Jurgens of Germany G10 made from the leather from a BUND pilot's jacket(As you do. it was late, wine may have been taken. We've all been there, even the teetotalers 😂). 200 odd quid IIRC. Anyway it showed up beautifully made, minus one of the keeper rings. And was the wrong size. Now he was very quick to sort it, but it can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So it appears that it does actually work, got it on now.

When I opened the jiffy bag my first thought was, "that doesn't look right, there's something missing", as I had the similar black strap and it has an extra piece of metal.

Anyway, it is actually surprisingly comfortable. And it was only a few quid so no odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Due to living a rock and roll lifestyle, I found myself last evening, sitting watching Antiques Roadshow.

It was in Castle Ward, Norrin Iron, or Winterfell, depending on your frame of reference.

Anyways, this chap turns up with a piece he got from a car boot sale for £5, a couple of decades ago. It is fairly worn and completely unrestored.

A 1967 or 68 pre-moon Speedie Pro. Only valued at £5,000. I would have thought it would be a bit more, but it was a head only, with a ropey old leather strap.

IMHO the AR experts are remarkably crap at valuing watches and often get the details wrong too. Years ago I was watching it when a pre war German B-Uhr came up and a prototype with it(Weems type with a chrono movement with the chrono bit removed) and they valued it as something like 5K. More like triple that. I'd reckon a pre moon Speedy head only in halfway decent nick would run closer to 8-10K depending on the day, add another 2K for dealer prices.

Maybe AR gets it arseways because the experts are mostly auctioneers and run to the lowball values as par for the course?

The above said, values have softened a little with them. They were higher during the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 for example. Plus many areas of the vintage market are stagnant. Fewer being sold and fewer buyers overall.

In fairness, the guy valuing did seem to know what he was at, drawing attention to the stubby pushers that were a feature of those transitional models in the 66-69 era, but only actually seen for a year or so. He also noted the lume markers going through the outer indices ring etc. So he definitely knew how to differentiate it as one of those slightly oddball models from what can be a bit of a chaotic period and one that sets watchers arguing over original versus service versus franken. :)

That said, I would have thought something in the 7k mark was more appropriate, as early 70s ones fetch that, let alone actual 60s models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Check out any Youtube music video from the 70's where there is perhaps an audience included and it just hits you in the face like a brick.

Mick Jagger wasn't an aberration - except in staying thin - and Mamma Cass was an exception, now she would almost be the norm.

Any youtube video with 'Pan's people' in it is worth a look; strictly for ethnographic and sociological research purposes, of course.

Just on that AR episode?

Was it not from a few years ago? I'm almost 100% certain it's a 2019 episode.

Mick Jagger's generation were war babies and they grew up with rationing until 1954 so that would likely have had an effect. The British bands of the 1960's were pretty much all rail thin. I was watching that Beatles Get Back sessions flic recently and with some exceptions like their road manager who was a bigger built lad pretty much everyone you saw would be seen as 'skinny' today. Then again the US didn't have rationing and on average they were thinner than today too. Irish people of the same vintage were thin as well. People getting fatter seems to come in post the 1970's. Food got cheaper, more sugar got added(fat is expensive, sugar is dirt cheap), more people getting takeaways and eating out and a wider variety of once very novel foods came along.

I read an article from somewhere I can't remember that noted that outside of actually very obese people( of which there are more) those over forty haven't really gotten that much fatter over time, it's in those under forty where it's become more of a thing. Essentially it said we're getting 'middle aged spread' at younger ages. It can depend on culture too. Most of this is in the west, Asians haven't gained bulk to nearly the same degree. Even within Europe there are differences. The French buck the overall trend by being generally thinner and staying thinner throughout their lifetimes. I've read other research that shows things like oestrogens from plastics, foods etc are causing men to get fatter younger and testosterone dropping over generations is very much a thing. A 60 year old in the 1980's had a higher testosterone level than a 60 year old today. Oestrogen mimics in our environment, higher stress, crappy diets seem to be the general causes.

Could have been, but it was broadcast last night.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it was shown last night but, afaicr it is a repeat of a summer 2019 episode. Fairly sure it was discussed here at the time too as we are wont to do.

The estimate on last night's show bears no relation to current market nearly 3yrs later.

Advertisement