Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

The phase loop sounds familiar alright. It was a clever way of doing away with using a chip to calculate the impulses. I have an original brochure for one somewhere explaining it in English, but can I find it...

This is an ad for one from 1972 as part of the in flight magazine on Concorde.

Dependable my left one. 😂 It gives a general overview of what it apparently does. That's the coolest model of them, where the seconds hand sweeps under the indices that look like some futurist stonehenge. Longines took risks with tolerances on their seconds hands. My Ultronic seconds hand misses the indices by barely a blonde one.

Here's a page from a Swiss industry magazine from the late 60's showing an early working version(they patented it in 1968, two years before Seiko and the Swiss Beta), in French though:

It shows just how much cash and resources a company like Longines had back then. Omega were the same. And how willing they were to embrace and develop the new tech. Companies like Patek and AP were very small fry by comparison. Some of the smaller houses like to market the fact they never offered a quartz. They don't market the fact they quite simply couldn't afford to. AP were on the ropes when they brought out the Royal Oak. That was their Hail Mary.

Like I have noted before it wasn't a "Quartz crisis" that did the Swiss in, it was a "Digital crisis". The Swiss were well ahead on and heavily invested in analogue quartz tech and were selling well, but never saw the digitals taking over to the extent they did. They were initially an American enterprise, but when the Japanese and later China/Hong Kong took over the Swiss had pretty much nada to offer, or what they had was two years behind the Far East. Good night Irene. Then of course they marketed the mechanical revival on the back of the huge war chest they'd built up from selling cheap plastic and quartz fashion (S)watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ BlackEdelweiss

Thanks, yes I can imagine is as a bit of an addictive hobby. Choosing my first watch was hard enough but was limited by budget so it made my choice a bit easier. I wanted something to wear everyday and do a bit of sea swimming so this sounded like a decent option. I was wearing a Victorinox Maverick which I love but the loop on the strap broke and was going to cost about €80 to replace. Great excuse to spend over a grand on a new watch! The wife is guessing at the price and is thinking around the €650 mark so I'm not doing anything to change her mind.

I am in Galway City and was thinking of somewhere like Hartman & Sons as they also sell Longines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

Hartmann are where I'd recommend up that way TBH, a Longines dealer may, may do it for you gratis but as I said should be cheap enough. Was it the keeper that went on the Maverick? I think they are a 22mm lug width? I have a couple of straps in that size that see zero use that would suit it. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll drop them in the post to you. Its far too nice a watch to not wear because of a strap issue ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,784 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Welcome to our dangerous hobby, BlackEdelweiss 😁

FWIW I feel your Longines Hydroconquest as your first proper Swiss watch is an excellent choice. Longines have a great heritage and they punch above their weight when it comes to quality and class of their watches. I have fond memories of my GMT Conquest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭ cnocbui

Should have stayed in NZ, they'd have you up to scratch by now and you'd even be up for making a new link out of No. 8 fence wire. 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ BlackEdelweiss

That's beautiful. I'm going to have to practice my watch photography, I cant get the colour to show in any that I have taken so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

If it's beautiful? There is no way in hell Unkel took the photo 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,784 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Haha, I was going to post something very similar 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

Nah, I'm the one with the Potato cam. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ Ian OB

Looks like the price of upmarket watches won't be coming down anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ njburke

Unkel doesn't hold on to the watches long enough to get a good photo. Its like portraiture, the artist has to take the time to get to know his subject.

I'll have you know I have my main watch coming up a year just before Christmas!

A year is the first flush of young love. If you were to take the one watch one year challenge would it be that watch, I'm guessing the sea dweller.

I have a watch here I bought last year that I have not yet worn. I have enjoyed it immensely though, albeit in a slightly nerdy/WIS way. We're flirting.

If I bought a watch and I didn't wear it the day I got it, it would be up for sale again that evening. Flirting me hole 🤣

It's a Grand Seiko sbgv225, it's minty, but has two spare half links . So I'm two full links shy of wearing it.I just got it's battery replaced, I'll get round to wearing it. It's kinda become a safe queen in part due to Covid, it's a watch i'ld wear dressed up/ special occasion, surely we all have one of them. And perhaps more importantly my youngest son likes it, so I kind of see it as his. I have three sons and three relatively good watches that should be serviceable over the next 25 years or so. I'm basing that on the 45 year old watches I own that are still soldiering.

It's the one watch I have that's pristine, I got it in a private sale from japan. The doxa I have I got from a guy in the UK, who flipped it after a month or two but not before he scratched the bracelet sizing it.

With scuba gear there's a term we used to use called 'kit fondle', which reminds me I have a lovely diving wing still in it's box, I didn't get the cold water diving opportunities this year either to warrant switching my old wing out.

Post edited by njburke on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭ Cyclingtourist

Had a look at what's on offer and there's criminal levels of bad taste there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭ 893bet

I wouldn’t trust or make any assumptions on anything from Auction.

I looked at the auction, there's a Rolex 67193 guiding 4550, and a puffy jacket for 1400. They do not warrant them as original, so very much buyer beware. Gas though if you paid full price for fake from the state, Joe Duffy time.

On the not wearing a watch, here's a guy talking watches, reckons a higher end GS might not be a good buy for that reason, his is way up the scale from my entry level piece.

https://youtu.be/JNP2nPfas6I

• Advertisement

Koastals recent GP purchase has gotten me thinking again, i was very close to buying the same model blue dial Laureato a while back, but this skeleton version is playing on my mind at the moment,

financial suicide if you dont get it right though!

Thanks appreciate the advice,the model you have is a stunner to be honest it's probably all the laureato anyone needs. And in an age where the AP and VC equivalent trade at 3 or 4 times retail it's value too.

My wife's Bering quartz watch died a couple of weeks ago and I had a go at getting the back off but gave up and suggested she get it done somewhere in town and last week she brought it back to Weirs (downstairs where they sell shitters) but they said it would take two weeks for them to get the battery.

It's currently taking me about 6-7 days to get a battery delivered by Amazon and I'd have thought if they were selling quartz watches they should have a supply in stock anyway.

Weird.

Paulareis will have one out next week for €30.

You'll be buying 64 of them so? Great value and almost as good as the original 😂

Talk about homages - I have a Seestern Doxa homage coming in, looking forward to wearing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭ Fitz II

Advertisement