Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

Cheers, I appreciate it. All praise is good praise.

I don't think some people realize how good the job situation is at the moment. A lot of people can pick where they want to work and work life balance is everything now.

Overwork your employees, micro manage or treat your employees like **** they'll have a new job in a week in a company that respects work life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Now that work from home guidance is coming to an end, how are ye going to approach it?

I'm in a small team and I pretty much stand alone so general guidance from my company doesn't really apply to me. Might just plan to continue as I am and if they ask me to return see what happens then.

I'm sure most companies will make it clear but I think most are taking a hybrid approach with at least two days in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm totally against going back, and people flocking back to pubs and clubs is an excellent reason to not return. I DO NOT miss the crappy, sniffly, sick and alcohol smelling gobshytes being around me. Nearly everything everyone says as a good reason to return is an excellent reason to not return imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct and treating employees like robots and watching their every move is very very poor management belonging in the 1970s/1980s.

Everybody is different and you have to constantly identify strengths/weaknesses, aptitude and personality types and manage the work appropriately.

I had a team member in my previous employment who did about 3 hours of 'deep work' every day. The rest of the day he was doing his own thing. However the guy was a genius software developer and could do more in those 3 hours than others could accomplish do in a week. His work was off the charts and everyone knew it. If there was ever a critical support issue that stumped other experienced engineers, he would be brought in to save the day and he always did. Worth his weight in gold - yeah he got the white glove treatment and compensated well but he deserved every penny.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The funny thing about

Your attitude is 1990's work culture. Once you get your work done what does it matter to employer?

is that in the 1990s, I was a worker making pretty much the same arguments that you are making now.

Since then, I've learned about the difference between contractors (paid to get tasks done as quickly as possible, then gotten rid of) and employees (expected to contribute to the overall success of the company, not just to be task-wombles).

I've learned that if someone doesn't have enough work to keep them busy, that's a management fault. A smart manager won't let that happen, because idle hands tend to cause trouble.

I've also learned that most employees are not highly motivated or focussed. Given 1/2 a chance, they regularly make mistakes, forget about deadlines, annoy people, etc. Sure there are some star-employees who aren't like that, who get the kid-glove treatment and very light-touch management. But they are the exception. Most employees need very clear goal setting, and regular guidance and follow-up. Some need performance improvement plans.

And, I've learned a bit about employment law. As a PAYE employee, my employer does, quite literally, own my time during contracted working hours. Some jobs, it's possible to be flexible when these hours are. But that opens risks about employees not taking proper breaks and getting stressed. And in lost of jobs, hours aren't flexible: Customers expect the office open during set hours. Employees expect Finance or IT or whoever to answer their call now, not later. etc.

I don't disagree with any of that. If a manager feels your not pulling your weight then they should discuss that with you. There's a big difference of getting your work done between 9-5 successfully or working for lunatic micro managing companies who can't trust their employees and try to make you do the work of two people with unrealistic deadlines and constantly look for updates off you. People will move on from these companies in six months.

If they can't trust their employees to WFH that's simply down to bad management or a company living in the past, not the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

As far as I can see the “hybrid” model is fake flexibility.

I’m hoping to stay fully remote - maybe go in to the Dublin office once per month. Or less if not required for work.

That’s true flexibility

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know what you mean to an extent.

I think that companies saying "You MUST be in the office on these specific days each week" really don't understand WFH and are only doing it because they feel they have to.

Those companies are also likely to be really bad at implementing WFH and will find it difficult to get it working properly.

For me , Hybrid WFH means go to the office when you need to ,not when you are told to, and what that means will vary between people and roles.

I don't have any direct team mates or anyone in my direct organisation in the office considered my "home" location so I have no direct recurring need to be in that building every week etc. so I only go in for specific events/training or if a visitor from another location comes town which amounts to maybe 5 or 6 days a year.

Others do and so going to the office a day or two each week makes sense for them so they can have a F2F team meetings and so on. Also Younger/Newer staff might feel benefit from being onsite and meeting different people in others areas and expanding their "network" etc. - I'm with my employer for several decades so that's not a big concern for me personally.

In a typical non-covid year I would spend many multiples of time in other company locations (either in Ireland or overseas) than I would in my local site because that's where the people I actually work with/for are based so that's what makes sense for me.

Bottom line - Hybrid/Flexible WFH should mean just that and not some kind of percentage based forced attendance model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't have to go back at all, unless something breaks that requires my physical presence e.g hardware failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I wish I was reading this headline this morning..." NPHET has advised the Cabinet that it supports almost all of Ireland’s Covid-19 restrictions being removed, with the exception of WFH guidance which it says should remain in place forever!!

Start ups are actively going the wfh route in their recruitment process

• Registered Users Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if there is one kind of environment that most benefits from people being together its start up imo.

In other words they're inviting prospective employees to contribute to the establishment costs of the business, by proving free office space.

And maybe more startups succeed as a result, due to not being screwed by commercial landlords. Technology and use of shared office space when in-person collaboration is needed is a perfectly good arrangement for a startup. Bricks and mortar should not be necessary other than for physical storage or shopfronts (and even the latter is becoming less and less necessary)

again, welcome to the 21st century

Win Win situation for both the employer and employee so.

Your not fixated on free office space like Andrew are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Iv already informed my company I won't be returning to the office ( in a non threatening way ) and there happy enough due to my performance and role in the company that doesnt require me on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Advertisement

Maybe, but it looks like the entrepreneurs and their investors disagree

Absolutely startups have to be extremely careful with their investors funds to get the most out of them. Not wasting money on a physical office space is listed as one of the best advantages for startups doing WFH in this regard, but its not the only advantage. Among others are

• Access to higher-quality talent, worldwide
    • More creative & productive workforce
    • Happier employees
    • Better connected team with everything done through technology (comms, task management, project management etc)
    • Social benefits, especially for working mothers
    • remote promotes employee retention, productivity & satisfaction
    • Fewer absences and healthier employees
    • Allow for 24 hr development i.e. teams based in multiple timezeones can drastically reduce development times as ongoing work is passed to the next team

For all the reasons above, in the future, when going to investors, if a startup isn't doing remote they'll likely lose out on investment as to do otherwise just disadvantages them

Good time to start up a company from home, not needing any premises.

You would wonder how any start ups managed to get going with the disadvantages they had from having a physical office.

i can only assume that you have never worked in that environment, wfh can suit larger organisations with defined roles and respsonsibilities, but most start ups couldnt be further from that.

some balance:

In summary, remote-only startups have a lot of tangible benefits. Once you get into the intangible side of a successful business, however, remote teams can be at a disadvantage. Make sure not to underestimate this, and if you go for a remote-only team try to account for this. For example, getting together for team-building as often as possible could be partial solution.

Not fixated.

But I simply don't have a spare room to donate to an employer. Our box room is now crammed full of Mr OBumble's tools.

Reports suggest that because of covid, its turned into a real opportunity for startups where they may not have looked at it too much before. Same as every other employer, it was the exception, rather than the rule. Looks to be going down the route of a remote-first setup for a lot of the startups these days.

You may disagree as to the advantages, and thats fine, but the data is coming from Y Combinator, as one of the biggest investors in startups, is pretty clear on this for startups. Y Combinator has investments in 1,200 companies, with 70% of those offering remote work. Thats one VC. Its likely the same for other VC's.

5 years ago a startup would have had to have a pretty strong case for wanting to be fully remote or doing hybrid, nowadays its looking like they need a strong case for why they are NOT going this route given all the obvious benefits.

lets revisit in a year or two, anyone setting up a startup over the past 12 months hasnt really had an alternative option.

Is your company allowing you to go back to office or are you fixated that every single employee should go back to the office and work from home shoudnt be allowed.

Just curious.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

What does a gradual return to the workplace mean though a week ,2 weeks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I'd imagine one day a week until end of February then 2 days in March with a review in April. Just guessing though. I really don't want to do more then 2 days a week in the office. The thoughts of the long commute stresses me out :)

Advertisement