Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so some of Europe saying it should be treated as a flu now, as most of us that had it have been saying all along.

im sorry for the families of the 6k people that passed away, but as a nurse friend told me(that lost her own mother in march 20), "a small fall would have killed them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You don't need to meet Orla Hegarty to know she's a hysterical dramatic Covid-zealot arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oh I think the time change is the easiest to do and could be done today, the other stuff will take more time. TBH they could scrap it all immediately but another roadmap is more in keeping with the approach. Not defending them just reckon this will be the strategy but will be very happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thats a good point, as i pointed out ebfore, in Spain, they have their own Local meeting for each region (like Andalucia), and they just decide "ok, bars can open tomorrow as normal, IF you want to"

Barcelona done it this week.

whereas in Ireland, Nphet decide and leak it, then tell the Govt.. what a **** joke it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Exactly, everybody needs to be vaxxed, including the poorer nations.

The African nations you speak of had overwhelmed health systems which were in a shocking state to begin with and poor testing regimes so it might have looked like they had low case numbers. The pubs never closed there because there are very few pubs in the desert

• Advertisement

I think anything other than lifting all the restrictions at 00:01 tonight would be unacceptable to many... Depending on pub rosters we might not see a change until next week. Would be nice to see the Munster game at full capacity on Sunday but unless they can mobilise staff very quickly it would not be possible I'd think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A roadmap for what though? NPHET have said that everything but mask wearing and isolating when positive are gone and the govenment can decide when to lift everything. Previously we had roadmaps because NPHET said we should. That is not the case this time.

As of today people will not be social distancing, even if the government say the need to do it until next week. I guarantee that bars will continue to serve after 8pm tonight even if the government say that they have to wait. The cat is out of the bag and the government will have to deal with the reality of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Quags

I wonder with the grand announcement at 6pm and IF he opens up like NPHET recommended will it be tomorrow where we see pubs having normal hours again or will he wait till Monday so gives business time to restock/rehire (I will hazard a guess and say businesses are doing this this morning anyway)

It still doesn't feel real that we may be coming to the some sort of ending, we still should push for masks to become optional to user and for the love of god take away every yellow covid sign and burn them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I really wouldnt be boasting about your prediction abilities if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No need to wait. Give the green light immediately and leave it up to individual businesses to sort out their own logistics to open as soon as they can.

• Advertisement

I don't know about the pubs pushing the 8pm limit, they have been fairly strict on their closing times in my opinion ever since they were restricted by them. In saying that I'm a city dweller so it might be different in the countryside

The end of NPHET, at last!!!

Return to workplaces is the big one and they have talked about a phased approach there. Maybe there will also be phased moves on hospitality around how they are currently set up. It's hard to say but some in government are innately cautious anyway, Martin in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat Kenny not a happy camper. Still hand wringing over the damned unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Goodbye NPHET 🙂

I hope to never see that acronym again, or at least only on bargain basement book titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If and when the restrictions all get lifted today, I hope that it also moves away from the front page of the newspapers, TV news, boards.ie forums, everything about it should be shunned to just an after thought. We don't need it in our face as much as we've had since March 2020.

We don't need reminding of the last 2 years, the leaks, the lies, the restrictions, the sickness, the fear. RIP to all those who have passed away during this, those with and without Covid. They all deserved a better send off.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

It's actually a great pub. Small, rural, everyone generally friendly, great pint of Guinness and a good spot to watch the sports on TV. It just so happened that the great majority of regulars took the advice/vaccines on board. Anti vaxxers numbered around four or five so they were seriously in the minority. And one of them is a rabid conspiracy theorist anyway so he surprised no one with his attitude. It will be interesting to see how things develop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Think posting here brings it to front page of boards fyi.

Have they mentioned opening up respite and day centres at all? I haven’t had a day off since October 2019 😢

• Advertisement

They'll go back to their day jobs soon enough as there is little more to review. There is just one final set of decisions to make at some point, on masks and distancing. That may just come via the CMO and the DoH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I don't usually tune into the usual shrills on the radio but today is a good day 🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Eagerly anticipating the announcement tonight.

The government missed a trick with announcing the bank holidays earlier this week. Could you imagine the added euphoria if MM lifted restrictions tonight AND announced the new bank holidays! 😁

You'll have to wait until after the Cabinet meeting this afternoon. It's all guesswork until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to finally see an end to these restrictions on our freedoms and regular life and think it's been overdue, but I can't help to think the extreme swing from one direction to another will just bring us right back to square one in a couple of weeks with new emergency restrictions. In general, I believe they should have phased the reopening (although ambitiously) by keeping Covid passes for a while longer and have offices and nightclubs open in a couple of weeks. Lifting everything will just cause cases to spike again, everyone panics and the media will start calling for a new round of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Currently slow-cooking a straw hat of mine, so that by the time MM makes his announcement that they are infact easing restrictions, I may be ready to eat my hat.

Did not expect this at all, pleasantly surprised if it all comes to pass

Now is the time for radio & TV show producers and bookers to stop booking these. Stop giving them oxygen and they'll disappear back to giving out about everything else in to their twitter abyss. How an architect and some academics became prominent guests on prime time tv and radio, I do not know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You don't know the right pubs then. I know a quite a few Limerick city pubs that close the doors at 8 and serve away. If we're told restrictions are to be lifted from Monday say, then these pubs won't even bother closing the doors. As I said the cat is out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

A reasonable enough opinion based on what has happened to us the last two years. So its tough to see the end. But Omicron appears to have changed it and all experts in the field seem to agree we can move forward.

It might be actually over!

Advertisement